“Incredible!!”

Crazy Horse Memorial
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation is to protect and preserve the culture, tradition and living heritage of the North American Indians. The Foundation demonstrates its commitment to this endeavor by continuing the progress on the world's largest sculptural undertaking by carving a memorial of Lakota leader Crazy Horse; by providing educational and cultural programming; by acting as a repository for American Indian artifacts, arts and crafts through the INDIAN MUSEUM OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and the NATIVE AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL & CULTURAL CENTER(R); and by establishing and operating the INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and, when practical, a medical training center for American Indians.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Crazy Horse Monument is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen!! The history behind the monument, and the continuation of the mountain by the family is astounding. I could not believe it. The museum is incredible, but the most amazing part of it all is the fact that it has all been done by donations. No government money what so ever. It's such a shame that it will not be finished in our lifetime. I would love to visit again in about 10 years to see how much progress has been made. You really need to watch the short film too, then you really know the dedication it took to start the monument, and the love and dedication of the family that has kept it going. Amazing people.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,117)
All reviews
in 191 reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Not trying to be a downer but I was disappointed with this attraction. Unlike Mt. Rushmore, Crazyhorse is a work in progress that seems to be taking an extraordinarily long time to get done. It looks like it is 10% complete (just a guess) after 65 years of construction. The massive work was started in 1948 by the sculpter Korczak Ziolkowski and is carried on now by his descendants, The story is is that they rejected federal funding help (to get the thing done) for ethical reasons and thereby are making slow progress doing it on their own. Hmm. I'm not sure but the primary mission now may simply be the lucrative business of running the tours, campgrounds, gift shop, food stands, and collecting money at parking lot.

Parking: Before I knew it I was wisked into the complex and paying to park in the lot. Should have stayed on the outside and looked at it from there.

Tours: The visitor center is fairly far away from the sculpture but you can still see it (see my photo). if you want to take a tour bus to get closer...that costs additional money.

Museum: Very dusty and dated but had a few interesting native american things to learn

5  Thank j z
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Visited as part of a tour group so my entrance fee was included in that. I saw a sign saying it was $10 which is dear but I suppose it helps fund the project which is on-going and will be for years.
The visitor centre isn't very close to it- you can see it in the distance. You can get a van up a bit closer at an extra cost but we didn't do it and I don't know how much it was.
The museum/exhibition area was nice to stroll around, there were a few bits and pieces to look at.
The sculpture itself is hard to appreciate fully from the distance but it's cool to see it and its progress to appreciate the struggle and effort that goes into a project such as this. It just goes to show how difficult this project is considering there is such a far way to go yet until it is completed.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went to see Crazy Horse immediately when we got into Custer, which was late in the afternoon. It was huge, bigger than I imagined! (We actually were disappointed in the size of Mount Rushmore after seeing Crazy Horse). Since we had entered late in the day, we were told that we could exchange our ticket at the guest counter inside the Museum for a Free Pass to Return Another Day. We took the bus ride to the foot of the Mountain, which was an additional fee, but worth the extra money because we got some great pictures and our bus driver was very informative and told us stories about Crazy Horse that he had researched. At the foot of Crazy Horse we also saw a mountain goat mother and baby. There was so much to see in the Native American Museum that we actually did need to come back and visit the next day. There is a very nice gift shop, also an area where Native Americans are making and selling their craft items. There is a movie that you can watch about the making of Crazy Horse and a couple of other buildings with displays. I really enjoyed reading and learning about the beautiful items on display. The Monument still has a very long way to go (70-100yrs), but it was still quite impressive to see.