“This would not be on the top of my list for a SW South Dakota trip....”

Crazy Horse Memorial
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The mission of Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation is to protect and preserve the culture, tradition and living heritage of the North American Indians. The Foundation demonstrates its commitment to this endeavor by continuing the progress on the world's largest sculptural undertaking by carving a memorial of Lakota leader Crazy Horse; by providing educational and cultural programming; by acting as a repository for American Indian artifacts, arts and crafts through the INDIAN MUSEUM OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and the NATIVE AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL & CULTURAL CENTER(R); and by establishing and operating the INDIAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH AMERICA(R) and, when practical, a medical training center for American Indians.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I like the idea of this monument/memorial, but I think the execution is poor. You have to watch the video to understand the full story of the intent and idea of this monument, and sitting to watch a video with little kids isn't always possible. We had hoped the copious displays of artifacts might provide us with the Native American History, but there was no flow of information and the story behind the creator of this site was not fully explained in the exhibits. So basically, you have to watch the movie to understand this monument.
The presentation by the Native American Grass Dancer (Danny?) was much enjoyed by the kids, but we are all bummed by the fact that you can't get any closer to the monument than a bus ride to the base. I understand that this is not a national monument, but the admission price is still high for what you get. I think this monument and collection of artifacts is a great idea, but this facility is in desperate need of a curator who can create an exhibit/set of exhibits that create a more complete story of the Native American History and the importance of this monument.

2  Thank Lillie M
Write a ReviewReviews (4,538)
All reviews
in 194 reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Let's clear up some of the negatives. It costs $10 for adults and less for Kids. A full car load for $27. I think some of these negative reviews were comparing this to Mount Rushmore. They are totally different . You pay for Mt Rushmore through your taxes and you still pay $10 to park there. Crazy Horse was started to NEVER take any government funds. It is totally funded by donations and admission fees. OK the monument is not complete, big deal. It is the history and the vision that makes this unique. And you will find one of the largest collections of Indian artifacts and art. Go and learn. Read what the government did to the native americans, see the pictures and art of these people. They have a nice restaurant and snack shack. I would hope to go back in five years to see the progress. Posted by grinandbrakeit.com

1  Thank KegMaster
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Was very impressed with the exhibit. Especially the bus ride to the base of the mountain. The driver was so knowlegable and gave his lecture in an easy manner to understand. The story about this sculpture was very interesting. I just wish more people were working on the project to finish it sooner. I recommend seeing the narrative in the theatre before going on the bus trip.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a very interesting tourist stop. We were charged $54 for a two church vans with 19 people, so we didn't think that was too bad. Otherwise it's $10 per person...$27 max. Which I think is pricey. So, definitely take a group & split the cost when you go. There is plenty to see & read about while you are there. I really enjoyed the movie about the monument. We got to watch a blast while we were there & there is a light show but we couldn't stay for that. There is also a gift shop @ restaurant.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I had such high hopes going to see Crazy Horse. But when we got there I was pretty disappointed! It was $27 per carload or $10pp, so with four people the price was OK. But what do you get for that money....Nothing!?!?! You had to pay an extra $4 pp to take a bus ride to base if mountain :-(. The only thing we found interesting was the video about the project. But really there was noting more. The view from the deck was nice but Mt Rushmore was WAY more interesting and accessible.
I'm not sure why they are taking so long with this project I suspect it may never be completed :-(. Why are some of the Indian people and tribes not getting involved with findraising and man power for that matter?

2  Thank 2cmoose