“Great service, nice hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Brookings
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Brookings
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great service, nice hotel”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Brookings mostly because they allow pets and the reputation of the hotel. I was driving back from a business trip - after an extremely long day of work, so I was very tired.

Check-in was very fast and they were ready for my arrival. I went to the room - King room - and dropped a couple of bags. I, then, went to visit my daughter who lives in town and to pick up her small dog. Returned to the hotel perhaps 45 minutes later with the dog; as we were entering, I went past the front desk clerk and just explained that I will have a dog tonight and that I knew it would cost extra and that I would be right back down to work out the details - she said not to worry, that she would take care of it. Great memory by that clerk to know who I was and what room I was in!

I called the front desk with a strange request - I needed to freeze a gel-pack for a work project and I asked if they could put it in the freezer overnight and that I would pick it up in the morning - no problem. I dropped it off when I went to eat at the nearby Applebee's (next door). I returned to the hotel and went right to sleep.

The bed was decent but had king-sized pillows which I find difficult to maneuver into a comfortable poisition. I wish hotels would just use standard-sized pillows regardless of the bed size; but, oh well. In addition, the fitted sheet kept coming off at the corner, making it a bit uncomfortable. Other than that, the linens were nice. The bathroom was fine and had all the normal toiletries. Towels were nice.

This hotel actually has a large, indoor waterslide. They also provide pool towels and lifeguards. I did not use the pool, but went to look at it. If I had small children, it would be a nice addition. No one was using the pool when I was there.

Breakfast was served from 6am - 9am and had a variety of hot and cold foods. It was a nice, hardy start to the day. I retrieved my frozen gel-pack from the front desk after breakfast and inquired about a FedEx Office in Brookings - closest was Sioux Falls. So, I had to leave immediately to get to Sioux Falls. Check-out was uneventful and quick.

I give kudos to the staff of this hotel - very accommodating, helpful and pleasant; really top notch. Hotel itself was nice - nothing tremendously spectacular, but a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: This area, right off the interstate, has a number of hotels. But the area is rather quiet and not m...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Express Hotel & Suites in Brookings, South Dakota. We take pride in providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests with friendly service from our staff.

For a reviewers that may read this posting. Last year all Holiday Inn Express Hotels upgraded to new pillows. King beds now have king pillows, queen beds now have queen pillows. So far we have received many comments on this change.

Hope to see you again when you are traveling back to the Brookings area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
MN
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Great place to stay with kids, as the pool with water slide is a great draw. Very nice that they also usually have lifeguards. Was a little disappointed that no drinks are allowed poolside, but I guess it is a college town. Rooms are nice and clean, good size. Breakfast was standard, but fresh and tasty. The hotel is on the other side of the Interstate, so you'll need to drive to get just about anywhere else in town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for the comments regarding your most recent stay at the Holiday Express Hotel & Suites in Brookings, South Dakota. We take pride in providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests with friendly service from our staff.

I am glad you enjoyed our pool and waterslide.
Clear Lake, Iowa
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Brookings for the Brookings Marathon. The location is convenient and an easy drive to the Marathon start. We had a room with a whirlpool which was great for tired/sore muscles after a marathon. But, we were right next to the door for the pool so it was a little noisy. The hotel is clean. The staff was accommodating but not overly friendly. The hotel prides itself on "being green" (i.e., Project Planet), but uses all plastic/styrofoam in the breakfast nook and no recycling. Maybe they're just trying to save on water by not washing your towels? Not many restaurant choices within walking distance so we drove into town for meals.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, May 27, 2014

I am glad you enjoyed and were able to relax in the whirlpool that was in your guest room. For all reviewers that are reviewing this posting, our hotel has a limited amount of these room types.
Lee's Summit, MO
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The room was clean and nice. The breakfast was delicious and the waitress was very nice. The pool was kind of wimpy though, the deepest it got was 3'6" and the slide was turned off during the week. So basically, there was 2 kid pools and no adult pool. If the adults aren't looking to swim, then this is a great place for little ones. Also, we saw a few hairballs in the pool which was kind of gross :-?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Erin C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, May 19, 2014

I am so happy you enjoyed the breakfast. We feel a hot breakfast is a good way to start the day out.

Regarding the pool, the deepest for the adult pool is just under 5 feet and that a Holiday Inn Express brand standard. That is the maximum depth. For all viewers reviewing this posting. Our hotel has an adult pool, kiddie pool and a waterslide.
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I called the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Brookings SD on 01/26/2014 to see if I was able to book a room at employee rate since my family and I were unable to return home because of bad weather. The employee who answered the phone was extremely rude and made a point to tell me that she had to get off the phone because she had 15 people standing in her lobby. Because I work at another IHG property and I am IHG rewards member, I was extremely disappointed by the customer service that I received on the phone and decided to stay at a competitors hotel instead. When I am back in there area, I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Brookings, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear CheerMom122901,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have stayed in many holiday inns over the years and generally find them to be decent, but were pleasantly surprised by the superior quality of the one in brookings.
Location: brookings isn't a big town to begin with but its right near the central area and walkable to a applebees which is convenient.
Free breakfast and wifi are very nice. Lots of channels, including HGTV.
The room is very warm and friendly and our kind bed was huge and comfortable!!
The front desk personnel were very friendly.
The heat came on quickly and warmed the room fast which was nice as it was -15 below during our visit.
Parking is right by the door.
Bathroom and the rest of the hotel room was very clean and neat appearing.

Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Greenland, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Pet friendly. This hotel is quite close to the interstate, but is quite quiet. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast is very well done.

They do have an indoor pool with a water slide which may interest kids, but we didn't have a chance to use it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family