“sub par”

Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 62 Restaurants in Brookings
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 5, 2014

we expected a good experience here after reading a couple of other reviews. However, overall our dining experience was subpar, due almost entirely to food quality, and to a lesser extent to a pseudo 'fast food' type experience.

The food, most importantly, was poor quality and not warm. I had the tacos-the chicken ones were edible but not great, the ground beef taco did not taste right and was soggy. the plate and hard shell tacos themselves were also soggy. My significant other had the veggie chimiechanga and wasn't happy at all with his meal. This surprised me because in general he is not very picky. In addition, the beans on both plates were cold.
I ordered a strawberry margarita and was not asked how i wanted it made (tequila type, on the rocks etc). What came back was a huge, bright pink, foamy sugary sloshy drink which appeared to be from a mix.

Service and food times: Also, while we weren't fans of this because we like to dine at a leisurely pace we understand that many people will appreciate this aspect of the restaurant-our server addressed us very quickly and after we ordered our food was out in about 5 minutes so that we were literally out of the restaurant in 20 minutes. If you are in a rush perhaps this is a good thing.

The ambiance in the restaurant is a bit kitschy but not a turn off-very family friendly and I could see families appreciating the very bright tex mex like atmosphere. It appeared quite clean.

The most positive aspect of our dining experience was a very friendly and polite waitress who provided good service.

Overall I would say if you have a lot of people, particularly children to feed this is probably not a bad option but I wouldn't go here expecting to have a quality dining experience.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff is wonderful, friendly and the service is fast and very well done. They won't rush you away but they won't let you wait around if you are in a hurry. We eat here often. It's a gem in Brookings.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Over the years we have eaten here a number of times when we are back in Brookings, and it is always excellent. This time I had the Pollo con Mole, which was great. Staff is very good and friendly. Artwork in restaurant is very interesting. Atmosphere is warm and comfortable.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been here a few times now. The food is pretty good, and pretty authentic considering it is Brookings, SD. Lunchtime menu is decently priced.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I read the other reviews, so based on that I decided to give the restaurant a try. My meal was so,so and not what I expected. I ordered pollo asada often at Mexican restaurants and their preparation was nothing like others I have dined at - frankly I did not enjoy it. The service was ok but not welcoming. I have to give this experience an average review.