“Sheldon church”

Old Sheldon Church Ruins
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Yemassee
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was disappointed in my visit to the church. It was built up to be an interesting historic site but after driving out in the country quite a ways, it was basically a ruin type site. Unless you just really like this type of thing, I wouldn't recommend a visit.

All reviews
"sunny day"
in 6 reviews
"grounds are beautiful"

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is a fine example of the ruination left by Federal troops in South Carolina. The location is beautiful and one family continues to preserve and protect this fine and historical building and the surounding grounds and grave markers. It is a peaceful vision of what now is gone with the wind in the Old South. Hopefully this place will continue to stand and be enjoyed by many generations to come.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well worth the short time it will take to see it. I love just to meander through the grounds looking at the stones and enjoying the ambiance of the breeze blowing through the spanish moss hanging in the canopy of the trees above. So glad the ruins have been preserved and looked after.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a short drive from Beaufort and worth the quick trip to the site. The site was clean and well maintained.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 15, 2013

If ruined old walls could speak, they would tell us of unmitigated horrors suffered by those people trapped inside the church. But fortunately or unfortunately, walls don't speak and so we are only left with our imaginations on what might have happened inside its walls. For some visitors, this site can be a somber occasion. But not for me. On this sunny day, my thoughts were not on the dreadful events but on how beautiful my surroundings were and how I can hear the songs of the birds. I was thankful the old church was never rebuilt but instead left for us to gaze and wonder upon its roller coaster history. I was also grateful for the past because they taught us how to live today and how to dream for tomorrow.

3  Thank MrEdnWilbur