“You'll either love it or hate it.”

Harold's Country Club
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Yemassee
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a Low Country experience, if ever there was one. Converted from a country garage/gas station. It is a family owned & operated landmark. Buffet style eatery on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Customers line up for steak dinner on Saturday, but before the register opens, you will be led in prayer.
Entry is via the bar room with pool tables, & jukebox.
Decor is 50's memorabilia, with dust for added ambiance.
Written up in many national periodicals.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My friend and I were taking a mini road trip to the LowCountry, and we heard about Harold's on here, so we decided to try it out after dinner. We had a good, laid back time, but it also was a Thursday night! The people there were very friendly and told us it gets hoppin' on Friday nights :). Too bad we were only in town for one night. As other reviewers said, it's about the atmosphere. As others mentioned, they serve food, it's also a bar, and it also seemed like a general store for the area. They sold snacks, soft drinks, fishing supplies, etc. lol. I would definitely recommend it if you are in the area - we bought souveneir koozies to commemorate our experience! If you have problems with cigarette smoke, though, I might sit this one out.

1  Thank southerngirl745
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Okay, here's the food objective for Saturday night: a recently grilled steak flopped onto a paper plate along with a foil wrapped baked potato, to which you'll add some sauteed onions and a little salad with a roll. Douse it with some your favorite steak sauce and you're good to go. Haute cuisine, maybe not, so why would two dozen residents from a Hilton Head area plantation drive 38 miles to partake of such fare? Is it free? That would be an appropriate answer, but no, it's $18 - prix fixe - tea included, dessert a buck extra. Is it the most delicious Kobe beef, cooked perfectly to order? No, it's more like steak night at summer camp or the mess hall. The answer must lie elsewhere... and it's in the experience of joining up with a group of friends and neighbors at an old gas station like building, waiting around in a smoky bar until they let you in line, picking up your chow and eating it at long tables in what essentially is a living museum. All kinds of authentic stuff all over the place. Service? You get your steak and potato placed on your plate, and a nice lady pours you tea (sweet or not) out of a tank. All the other folks manning the check in and serving stations are good people, too. Don't like steak? Come on over on Thursday nights for whatever they're serving. We'll be back in November for some deep fried turkey. The bottom line is, if you want a good steak, go to Morton's, Ruth's Chris or even to Outback or the like. Better if it's a local establishment. If you want a once in your life time unique experience of a Lowcountry joint with a national reputation, definitely grab a group of your pals and head up to Harold's. It's a hoot. That's why I ranked it "Very Good" and not less.

2  Thank AlPhD
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Harold's Country Club was high on our list of places to visit as a result of many recommendations from our friends. Today we finally got our chance to dine on "steak night". We found the whole experience very enjoyable. The "Club" is a real visit to another "time". The food was great as was the wait staff. We met the owner who shared wonderful stories about the history of "Harolds" and the memorabilia that fills every nook and cranny of the establishment. The "Club" is a real treasure and our group will revisit happily. Thank you Harold's Country Club for a wonderful meal and a great time.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

We had been here once before under the old ownership. Our landlord highly recommends the steak night so we thought we would try it out. It was told to us that the dinner would be $10 per person for steak dinners by our landlord, and upon arrival, we were told that it would be $18 per person. We thought, well, we'll give it a try and see. How bad chinould it be. We were told that they would have our steak cooked once we arrived and that they would have sauteed mushrooms for the steak. This did not happen, Our steak was sitting in a bin upon arrival, still "mooing",and cold. I asked if it could be put back on the grill and was instructed to do it myself. I followed behind another lady to put my food back on the grill and discovered an extremely unsanatary set sp. I through my steak on the grill and upon taking it off, the guy cooking picked up his spatula out of a pull of blood to hand me back me. I was sort of shocked and stunned walking back to the table hoping that the heat killed the germs. The roll was stale, the salad was basic stuff with 3 choices of dressing, and the baked potato was only "warm." This was only half of it. On my way home, I developed stomach pains and once I hit the door began symptoms of drastic diarehia that lasted all night long. I will never come back here!

2  Thank Jenna F