“An Experience to Remember! A Must Do for the Holidays”

Harold's Country Club
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Yemassee
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Harold's is the place to be on Saturday night. The best steak around and always cooked to perfection. The staff is friendly, Batman and Robin behind the bar certainly know how to keep you refreshed while you are there!

It’s only an hours drive from Hilton Head Island, but it is worth it and the food quality and the entertainment is great!

1  Thank syoung59

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Harold's Country Club is one of the most unique spots in the Lowcountry. A gas station and tackle shop most days of the week, it becomes a dive bar / restaurant two nights a week. I've been twice, and while I can't say the food blows me away, I can tell you without fail that it's unique atmosphere is really what sells it for me.

We recently went on steak night, and while the steak itself was nothing to write home about, the ambiance of picking up the steak in the actual kitchen and dining with 80 of your closest friends in the "dining area" is one that brings you back to a simpler, bucolic time. The fun doesn't stop there, as karaoke cranks out from the general bar area. It's generally a local's hangout, though people from all walks of life and even a few lucky travelers who happen to discover this place all mingle together.

A very important note: if you decide to go for steak night, you MUST call ahead to reserve your steak and let them know how you want it cooked (medium rare, well done, etc). Of course, you can always come by to have a few drinks at the bar; no reservations required.

So again... go to this place not for the great food, but for the fun atmosphere.

1  Thank beaufort-tiger
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I first read about Harold's in Garden and Gun Magazine, which called it "one of the best Dive Bars in the South." I've been there twice, and haven't been disappointed. $2.00 beers, 3 pool tables, and friendly staff (one of my buddies was given a free Harold's CC camoulflage beer cozy because the bartender thought he looked like George Bush!) The staff and patrons at the bar were even friendly when they learned that my orange shirt was not Clemson orange, but instead Gator orange! What a hoot! The decor is Nascar Revival. Saturday night is steak night, but you MUST reserve your steak several days in advance. The steaks are tasty, and you do get your money's worth. They have two Saturday evening Steak Dinner seatings, and after the second seating at 8:00pm, it's Karioke Night! Love it!

1  Thank archigator
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Our searching the Internet for good directions was fruitless. Harold's is located on Frampton Road (Alternate 17/21) where Pocotaligo Road intersects. On Google, it is the blue-roofed structure just northeast of the baseball field. NOT WHERE GOOGLE's INDICATOR IS LOCATED! We found it in the daylight, which was very helpful.

We called the Monday before our trip to reserve our food. In general, you reserve food, not seats. We reserved for Saturday (Rib-eye steak night) for 6:30 PM. We arrived about 6:20, bought a couple beers at the bar, and joined the waiting line. There was a group of about 60 people gathered outside. At a few seconds past 6:30 PM, the cashier started taking payment. She handed out one of the heavy-duty Chinette plates for each steak dinner you paid for. Then we walked into the kitchen, where the ladies found our name on the list and gave us the steak(s) done as ordered. We stepped out of the kitchen and there is a "salad bar " setup with pre-mixed tossed salad, a few dressings, baked potatoes, grilled Vidalia onions, rolls, butter, sour cream, steak sauces, etc. I had the steak, grilled onions, and a baked potato on my plate and it about cracked in half, due to the size of the steak! Luckily I braced it on my arm. They provide bowls for the salad.

We found a couple seats at the long tables. The large group had reserved two of the long tables, so I guess they do reserve seats for large groups. There is sweet tea, unsweet tea, water, and or coffee to drink.

The steaks were excellent! Neither my husband nor I put any sauce or salt/pepper on them. I could only eat half of my steak. The potatoes were also excellent. The grilled onions were amazing. (You can't go wrong with Vidalias and butter.) The salad was typical.

There was no dessert. Not a problem, we were stuffed!

We sat across from 3 locals, who provided good conversation. They also took the leftover 1/2 of my steak home for their dogs.

If you like great food and good people, we would highly recommend Harold's Country Club. If you require waitresses, tablecloths, and theme decorating, this is not the place for you.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Have eaten there 6 times so far. The food part of this great establishment is only open 2 days a week. There is steak on Saturday and a pot luck on Thursday (not sure of day as most times I have eaten there was for steak night)
The bar is up front in an old gas station. The eating is done in a jumble of rooms added to the back of the building. The steak is not the finest cut, but you would never know as the steak is superb.
You have to eat at this place at least once.
You do have to call for reservations for the steak night as they buy just enough to cover people dining.

1  Thank Muadib395