“Perfectly acceptable hotel for a short stay”

Quality Inn West Columbia
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in West Columbia
Reviewed March 27, 2009

We needed a hotel for just one night after arriving into the Columbia Airport. I travelled with my family, two adults and one teenager.

Judging by the reviews for this property from several months ago, this hotel has improved greatly. We choose to stay here because of the unbeatable price...$62.99 for a room with two double beds!

A word of caution...this property can be very hard to find if you don't know the layout! It's super easy to miss the driveway. We arrived in the evening, and we had to go around the block and come back because it comes up so fast.
The front desk staff at both check-in and check-out were friendly and polite. They provided us with a map of the area with local restaurants, which was greatly appreciated!
The hotel is in a questionable area....however....we had no problems whatsoever. If you use common sense and take the valuables out of the car and lock the doors, you'll be just fine. I would recommend requesting a room on the second floor of the hotel. The rooms on the first floor have exterior halls and as a result I think those would be quite noisy. The second floor, which is where we had our room, has interior halls and was very quiet.

At first glance, the room appeared to be clean. However, after being in the room for a while, we noticed "strange" things. In one of our beds there was a questionable dark stain right in the middle of the fitted sheet. The bathroom tub had the beginnings of some mold on the tiling, and the tiling on the bathroom floor looked in need of repair. However, the carpet and other furniture were perfectly fine. The beds were VERY comfortable, and the duvet covers were nice. The rooms come with a refrigerator and microwave. If you don't really need the refrigerator, I would recommend avoiding turning it on. Ours was very old and made LOTS of noise....and woke me up several times in the middle of the night.

We used the free high speed internet and had no problems.

We did not use the pool area, but it looked very nice. The breakfast was standard Quality Inn (and choice hotels in general) fare. The breakfast area was clean and the breakfast attendant kept the room well stocked.

All in all, if you need a room for just one night, I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat. For the money, it's an excellent value and the rooms in general are nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed March 19, 2009

Needed a 1/2 way point on our move from KY to FL. Also needed pet-friendly as well as budget priced. First of all, I have to give the ONE compliment I can: Out of a Springhill Suites and a La Quinta Hotel stayed at on same trip, the bed here was the most comfortable! Very soft and cozy, even with a burn hole in the bed spread. Having said that:

Check-in was lengthy even though I had a reservation. Clerk was not helpful with pointing out vending or ice machines. Rooms are entered through either a door that opens to a parking spot or 2nd floor into an open air hall way. Room is very large with fridge and ancient microwave. Carpet is old. Bathroom tub was scary looking as well as some mildew stains around floor. Even though room was basically clean when we arrived, we found an empty beer can on the floor. They have a cute pool although we did not use it. The breakfast room is nice and new-typical Quality Inn breakfast fare-no frills. The area seems kind of rough. I heard lots of loud cars and possibly drunken quests arriving after 2 am. The rate was $59.00 which was the best I could get this close to the freeway, and it is pet-friendly. Upon check out I mentioned the beer can, was the reply was "oh really?". They do have a computer station in the front desk area with high speed.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank Buckeye460
Reviewed February 18, 2009

the rooms where very clean , very comfortable,beautiful pool,front desk was very kind and helpful,i think her name was sheryl,i needed a little extra time to check out, she was very helpful,the breakfast room was clean and the food was excellent1 i would recommend this hotel to anyone! thank you so much for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Clean room, Very Comfy Bed. I travel to the Columbia SC area for business often. This hotel is a great value. Close to Downtown Columbia. Lots of places to eat and shop nearby.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I travel a lot and stay at a lot of hotels. By far this is the most underpriced hotel I've stayed in. From the price you'd think it was a two star hotel but once you get into the bed, it turns into a four star. Great beds, clean rooms, friendly staff, great location...I couldn't ask for much more. If I travel back to the area I'm definitely staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I stayed at this hotel June 2008. The overall stay was GREAT!! The price was right where I needed it to be. The hotel is under new management his name is Gee Amin, so I met the new manger. He was very helpful with helping me get the right room!! I think this hotel is perfect for weekend getaways!! The rooms were very nice. I could actually walk around without my shoes. I was also aware of the new staff! Everyone was so helpful in our stay! I would tell my family and friends about this hotel!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I was very pleased with this hotel overall, great experience. I would stay again & recommend for the price.

I am very picky, hard to please type person. I picked to find most negative things to write about to give the reader both sides of the stay.

PROS:

Southern hospitality, friendly, helpful staff. Due to the weather conditions in the NC mountains I was very late arriving. Pat (female desk clerk on duty), was locked inside the facility at 2:00 am EDT. This heightened my since of awareness, felt somewhat concerned as to the security of the area. Room entrance was outside but you could park in front of the door inside a horseshoe area. I felt completely safe once inside the horseshoe lot. Room was very quiet, no outside noises or car alarms, doors etc was heard from inside. Pool was small, being late first week of Oct and raining we did not use the pool.The Ice machine was conveniently located.

The beds had down comforters, with duvet type covering, clean, and VERY COMFORTABLE, I have chronic back pain (13 surgeries) and normally wake up 4-5 times per night. but while sleeping at this hotel I awoke once! Serta hotel mattresses are wonderful!, Pat provided an excellent hand drawn map of Columbia/Ft Jackson. to aid my driving to Family day and Graduation at FT Jackson.

CONS:

The room was very HOT upon arrival. Perfumed or air freshener type odor to used to possibly cover up stale smoke? (this was a smoking room). Furniture polish sprayed on all woodwork and was not wiped off.

SUMMARY:

Overall the Quality Inn offers a great nights sleep, and shelter at a very affordable price! (59.99 per night two full size beds.) I can not rate the breakfast offerings because we did not have the chance to try it due to tight schedule.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Columbia
Comfort Inn
#28 of 93 in Columbia
2 mi away
Days Inn & Suites Columbia Airport

Been to Quality Inn West Columbia? Share your experiences!