“All the basics without a cheap feel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Airport

Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Airport
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in West Columbia
Miami, United States
“All the basics without a cheap feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is your standard Hampton Inn. Quality is uniform across the brand. Notable pluses: My flight got in at midnight and they paid for a taxi since I came in after their shuttle hours. They have refrigerated bottled water and cookies in the lobby; and REALLY appreciated this with the late arrival. Breakfast included a waffle-making station. Clean and reliable-- all I needed for the night. Two notable minuses: 1) The room had a very slight stale odor. 2) The iron had been dropped and the metal tip nicked with a sharp edge, not perceptible until it was snagging my clothes as I tried to iron them. Not really Hampton Inn's fault but annoying.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Regina C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here in late April to take care of some business for my mother. I would have written this review sooner, but I have been too busy with moving my mother to an assisted living community. I normally stay closer to downtown, but had to change my plans and come into a day early. Almost all the hotels in the area were booked for some reason, so I chose this one for my first night because it was at least close to where I needed to be. I should have listened to the bad reviews. When I arrived, I was not really confident in the neighborhood. When I checked in, I was given a ground floor room all the way at the end of the hall by the stairway/exit. We are Hilton Honors Gold members and our profile distinctly says "high floor and non-smoking." When I realized the room was at the end of the hall, I went back to the desk to inquire about why my profile wasn't honored. I was told they didn't have any non-smoking rooms left on the upper floors. That did NOT answer my question. I asked if I could at least be moved away from the exit and closer to the middle of the hotel. They said they had one room across from the laundry and that I could move to that room, but a crew would be coming in around 4 AM to prepare a group of rooms for a corporate customer and it would be noisy. I told them that was fine because I would be up early anyway. By the time, I retrieved my things from the room and came back to the desk for the key, they had put me in a different room on a higher floor. I said okay and when I went to the room, I realized it was also at the end of the hallway but not ground level. At that point, I gave up and settled for the room. The room was the smallest I have ever experienced at a Hampton Inn. It had a double bed and when I sat in the desk chair, I had to get up to move it past the bed. The A/C unit was older and really loud. Plus, when I sat anywhere in the room, it blew directly on me. When I went back to the car to retrieve a couple of other things that I was not comfortable leaving in the car in that neighborhood. The doors adjacent to the elevator that were close to the parking lot did not work. They had signs saying they were broken and could only use them when entering from outside. I had to walk all the way back to the front of the hotel and around the side. Also, one elevator was not functioning and had a hand written sign that looked as if it had been there a while. The entire hotel could have used a good cleaning. If there had been another option, I would have left there for sure. I paid $115 for the one night in this place and it was not even close to being worth it. I know that it is a hotel that caters to businesspeople on a per diem and that those people get much better nightly rates than the average person. Even at a reduced rate, still not worth it. This was probably the worst hotel I've seen in several decades. When I checked out, I was going to remind them of the 100% satisfaction guarantee, but I was NOT asked how my stay was or even really acknowledged too much when I checked out. I was exhausted and had an extremely busy and stressful day ahead of me with five hours of driving and other family business, so I didn't have the energy to pursue it. The only good thing I can say is that housekeepers were cordial to me when I passed them in the hallways. Overall, a horrible stay at a time when I needed a nice, restful consistent stay. I will NEVER go back to this hotel. It should not even be in the Hilton family of hotels.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Berea, KY, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff at this Hampton go out of their way to make your stay a good one. They are all so friendly and act like they really enjoy serving you. The breakfast varies each day and tastes like real food, not just 'round' eggs or pastries. I appreciate the way everyone is so willing to make sure you are satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

my stay at the hampton was very satifying , the staff was very helpful and efficient during check in and check out. the hotel was clean and the staff reporenish breakfast even with several softball teams staying at the hotel. Good job !!

Waynesville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

After traveling several hours from south Florida my wife and I decided to stop in Columbia for the night. We looked ahead and found this Hampton Inn. It wasn't but just two days ago that I made a comment to my wife that I have never been disappointed in a Hampton Inn.
When we arrived we were greeted by a woman who was very nice, could not have asked for a better greeting. After getting our keys we began to walk down the hallway to the elevator and couldn't help but notice that the carpet in the hallways seemed as if they haven't been vacuumed in several days. There was dirt along the ceilings and about 60% of all the doors in the hallway were filthy.
When we arrived at our room there was a lamp shade that was desperately in need of being replaced, spots all over the end tables, hair in the bathtub, the tile leading into the room hadn't been swept. We thought about just staying and dealing with it for one night but after only five minutes decided that we were not going to spend the night and we went down to check out. I have never called customer service before on a hotel and haven't even thought of doing so with any Hilton hotel we have ever stayed in, needless to say I did just that. We checked into another Hampton just north of our previous location and couldn't be more pleased with not only the location compared to W. Columbia, but the hotel in general.
Again I appreciate the courtesy of the staff, but really would recommend working on the sterility, tidiness, and cleanness of this hotel.

Athens, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Access to the elevators in the middle of the hotel via narrow hotel hallways. Narrow space on the third floor from the elevator to the guest rooms made it difficult to get your luggage in and out of the hotel. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Chappells, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

this was a very comfortable and clean hotel. loved the room décor, and lobby area was very inviting. My husband was having heart surgery at the Lexington Medical Center, and my room provided me with the comfort I needed at such a time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Columbia
Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Columbia Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone
Staybridge Suites Columbia

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Airport? Share your experiences!