“Unpretentious place for excellent meal with great service”
Review of Terra

Terra
Ranked #4 of 147 Restaurants in West Columbia
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef-Driven Restaurant in Columbia, SC featuring dishes prepared with fresh locally sourced ingredients paired with quality cocktails and exciting wine list.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have passed this place many times but was not too impressed with their exterior which is fairly nondescript. But after a colleague went there for a graduation dinner with his family and raved about it, I decided to put it on my list. Went on a busy Friday night and got reservations for 2 for 8:30 and was seated promptly. The overall decor is actually inviting with a sort of converted warehouse chic vibe.The cocktail selections are okay, more of the gin variety, but a nice wine list. My guest and I skipped appetizers and just had our entrees. I ordered the special of the day: Grouper sauteed on top of artichokes, peas and cherry tomatoes. It was amazing! I thought I would have selected their house specialty, steak and fries, but I am so glad I did not. I was truly satisfied by this meal. The seasoning of the light sauce used for the vegetables was excellent with a touch of garlic and butter and the fish was cooked perfectly with a superb flavor I normally don't associate with fish dinners. The waiter was pleasant and prompt. I will certainly be coming back on a more frequent basis. Great place to eat with local friends but also your out of town visitors. We were seated by the windows which do allow for a partial but nice view of the downtown Columbia skyline.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was our second time to Terra and for the second time it was amazing. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. The food was simply spectacular. The duck confit was delicious and the summer vegetable salad was a big hit with my wife. The seared grouper and the seared duck breast were both impeccable. The wine choices were excellent and again the server was very knowledgeable on them. I would highly recommend Terra to any and all.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Ate here for the first time with business colleagues. Great farm to table food options, rotating and interesting menu. One of us had the quail, which was outstanding. I had the steak frites, and the ribeye steak was cooked to perfection. Fried green tomatoes appetizer was very good. Salad course was the only thing that wasn't notable. Desserts were very good. The pistachio creme brûlée was outstanding and the rhubarb strawberry parfait was also very good. The atmosphere is trendy but not pretentious and the staff are knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I highly recommend for business or pleasure and will be coming back!

1  Thank schwammy_11
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We have eaten at Terra twice in the last few months ... both times, the wait time for our dinners was unconscionably long. The first time, we waited for well over an hour; the second time, nearly that long. Both times, the manager came over and apologized, telling us that large parties were being served ahead of us, but that the food would be out soon. We felt that the restaurant should have sent out something for the table like cheese, vegetables and/or charcuterie - (on the second occasion, our waiter encouraged us to buy a salad, which I did - but really didn't need or want it, I just wanted my entree.) Portions at Terra tend to be small and expensive, and the bill was almost $100 per couple, both evenings. Some entrees at Terra look like appetizer portions at other restaurants; (for example, one soft-shelled crab at Terra, two at Mr. Friendly's.)

My recommendation to Terra management is not to expect customers to "fill in the blanks" in the wait time. My recommendation to customers is to ask the server specifically if the entree is a standard adult dinner portion.

1  Thank Maryjudy
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We made reservations late in the day on a Tuesday, tried to go the night before, but they are closed on Mondays, and so glad we were persistent! We sat at the bar and let Andy take care of us. We had drinks, dinner, appetizers and desert...in that order! The drinks were great, good size and well priced. The trigger fish was outstanding, hot (a necessity for me) and delicious. We were still hungry so we had the butcher's plate full of wonderful meats and pickles. Out of this world. Got to meet Mike Davis, the chef and he was so gracious and enthusiastic about the place. Overall, an extremely good experience, highly recommend, in fact we are planning a trip back to West Columbia for a weekend due to our experience at Terra!