“Graduation luncheon”

Ranked #2 of 147 Restaurants in West Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Description: Restored 1920's era building. Eclectic decor that supports the local art community. 1
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Everything was wonderful. We had everything from breakfast to fish. We Didn't have to wait too long and it is just a cool place.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had a party of 14 for a special occasion. We checked in and waited for 45 minutes for a table, we understood that we had a large party and it was difficult to accomodate us. We went in to check on our reservations and we were told we had been seated already. Someone had used our name and taken our reservation. They never checked with us and the other party was not the same size. When we confronted them, they were defensive and put us on the bottom of their list. We were told it would be another 30-45 minute wait. Get some integrity.

6  Thank xcapeohio
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stopped for lunch on a Friday while at a conference based. The atmosphere is really trendy with unusual art on the walls, and the building itself is old with a tin ceiling. However, that day there was a rush of people, and it took a long time to get a table. The staff was nice and you could tell they were making the best of the situation. I only had the Greek salad. It was a little better than ok. I paid to have grilled chicken in the salad, but it was a little pink. It was served with thin sliced toasted bread. I would give it another chance, but was underwhelmed....

Reviewed April 2, 2014

The coffee serve yourself bar a wonderful idea and I really enjoyed the choices. My wife and I had the hangover full portion and next we will be getting the half. It was a wonderful combination of spuds and other things. I believe some rosemary maybe Tyme would really help. The kids had the cinnamon pancakes they were good. The place does need to invent its own sort of kids menu to help the with children's choices. Good time great food and worth the time to go and stay awhile.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Five of us went to Cafe Strudel for brunch today. This is a popular place and they do not accept reservations for Sunday Brunch although they do accept them for other days and times. I have eaten here before and had not written a review so I am doing it this time.

We had to wait about 45 minutes, but note that most of the cause of our wait was that we had 5 in our party. Smaller parties were seated much faster. They do have outside seating which they offered to us earlier, but we decided to wait for an inside table because it was a very windy day.

On Sundays, they only serve brunch. The menu choices are somewhat limited, but the choices are all very good. Today, they had an Eggs Benedict special and I ordered that. It arrived along with the rest of the food and was served on a small, rectangular plate with a good presentation. This version of the Benedict included french baguette slices, prosciutto, tomato, poached eggs and was topped with their own house-made Hollandaise sauce. The sauce was very good although I like it a bit more lemony. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a good Benedict.

Others with me had various selections from their menu and we were all impressed. We also ordered an apple strudel after brunch and all shared it. It was wrapped in a flaky pastry, grilled, and served with whipped cream. All in all, very good.

The service is good even with all tables full. There were a couple of lags, but who's in a hurry on a Sunday morning? Our server was very impressive, knew the menu, and kept tabs on us throughout the meal.

The decor is somewhat urban and includes art from local artists on the walls. If you order coffee, there is a wall of coffee choices that you can help yourself to.

Next time I am in Columbia, I want to come back on Saturday for a lunch or dinner to sample some of their other foods. Oh, and be sure to check out the dessert case when you arrive. House-made cakes, pies, cheesecake, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. The strawberry cake and key lime pie looked really good.

For 5 of us, the bill came to $50 so it's fairly inexpensive.

Drawbacks? Small, a little noisy, no reservations for Sunday Brunch.