“Church of Pork”

Ranked #12 of 147 Restaurants in West Columbia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Buffet
Description: The Original location of South Carolina's Favorite Barbeque! Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.Country Buffet at this location in West Columbia, Wed - Sun lunch, Thurs - Sat dinner.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stumbled upon this place while looking for MoMo's. Decided to give it a try. Not a good decision. The three girls working behind the counter were oblivious. I ordered the rib platter, but they didn't know what that was. Wanted to know if I wanted the large or small. I only saw one on the menu, so I asked for the $9.99 platter. Very disappointed to see that hey didn't serve beer. Strike One! BBQ and beer go together like peanut butter and jelly. I stood there waiting for a few minutes, before I was told that I could sit down, and someone would bring it out to me. During that brief wait, I noticed the religious music that was playing. Second strike!

After sitting and waiting for a few more minutes, I was handed a to-go bag. I told the girl that I had asked to eat it here, and she apologized. I opened the bag to find everything wrapped in waxed paper. I had to get up to ask for a plate. Strike three, before I had even taken my first bite!

I got three ribs for my $9.99, along with two tiny hush puppies, and an order of fries. Ribs weren't bad. Hush puppies tasted like old frying oil.

Oh, did I mention that I was the ONLY customer in the restaurant? During my visit, 7:15ish (pm) to around 7:45, not another soul visited this place. While I was dining, the workers had already begun tearing down the place for the night. When I went for a refill of tea, it had already been put away. I did find a pile of religious pamphlets in the place where the tea had been. Perhaps I didn't notice them earlier.

They might as well put it all away and shut the doors for good. This place has no interest in serving anything except religious propaganda.

I saw they had a "A" grade for sanitation. Must have paid someone off! The place is not clean at all, and doesn't even have a restroom to wash the sauce off of your fingers, once you're done choking on the religion that was just forced down your throat. I would have given two stars if it wasn't for my "Religious Experience!"

Very bad experience...Wish I could give less than one star.

carolyns236, Public Relations Manager at Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. I wanted to address a few of your comments. Which location/Interstate exit did you stop at? Your review is on our original location in W Columbia, but from your description, it sounds like one of our small pit stops, because the restroom is accessible from outside, not from the dining room, which explains why you didn't notice it. Also, just to clarify, we do have 3 different rib plates (Rib Basket for 9.99, Small Rib Dinner and Large Rib Dinner); obviously the lingo can get a bit confusing so that is why the cashier often needs to check to see which one the customer is referring to. All that aside, you did point out a couple things I will be speaking to the staff about; I'm glad you at least enjoyed the ribs!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I love good BBQ and was sadly disappointed. It did not have a good smoke flavor and what it may have had was covered up in their sauce.The best thing on the buffet was the mac n' cheese. Its the only thing I would go back for. The fried chicken on the buffet was fair. The sweet tea was good. Not my choice in BBQ.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm a big fan of mustard style sauce, but this one had a funny taste. Kind of like plain yellow mustard with honey or something in it.

The ribs were ok, the pork kind of bland. Sides were good, particularly the greens and cole slaw. Had higher expectations I guess.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had no idea this place existed until we saw the sign and decided to give it a try. I appreciate the regional variations of BBQ, and have had good Carolina BBQ before, but his wasn't it. It was mid-afternoon on Sunday, so I think they were trying to get rid of the stuff from the buffet. Food temps were low, the meat was pretty dry, and the sides were mediocre. The mustard sauce kind of overpowers the food, but the hot BBQ sauce was pretty good. I know the meats must be much better when they're fresh. On the other hand, the tea was good, and my son loved his bacon cheeseburger. The service was courteous, and the servers did their best to please.

My take on the white supremacist confederate southern heritage fundamentalist Jesus-freak thing? Well, as a westerner transplanted to the south, I'm used to putting up with it. These people just don't know any better. You're here to eat, and local culture contributes to what food tastes like. Just take the good with the bad, and don't come back if you don't like the taste of the food or the culture. When I travel in North Africa and China, the fact that I don't see eye-to-eye with Islam or Chinese Communism doesn't affect my opinion of the food.

So, I'm basing my review on the food alone, and if it had been good, I would go back. However, given the low food temps, the dryness of the meats, the mediocrity of the sides, and the suspicion that everything was just recycled buffet food, I don't think we will. Too bad; it seems like an authentic experience in local culture that should be better represented by the food.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We went with a varied age group with kids, teens, mids and seniors. Everyone found items that they liked and there were no complaints. I would hav preferred the ribs without sauce and would order them that way next time. The cole slaw was excellent but the collards were a bit salty fort taste. They had a Buffett and the deserts were very good especially the banana pudding.. The staff was very friendly.