“Worst service”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
jackson
“Worst service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

We booked this room because we had a 6:15 am flight departure on 12/19/2010. We were told they would provide transportation to and from the airport. When our travel agent called 1 week before our arrival, he was assured that we would have transportation to the airport by 4:45 am on the 19th. When we arrived at the hotel on the 18th we were told that out transportation to the airport the next morning was taken care of by Patricia the manager. When we arrived in the lobby on the morning of the 19th, the desk clerk (Shawn)knew nothing of our needs for transportation. When he called Patricia (manager) she apparantly forgot to make the arrangements for us and told Shawn to try to call us a cab. The cab company was not sure when they could get a cab there for us. So Shawn closed up the hotel and took us to the airport himself. The story does not end there. We were called by Holiday Inn while away on our trip that there would be transportation from the airport to our car ready when we touched down, all we were to do was call the hotel and someone would come and pick us up. Our flight arrived later then schedualed and when we called for our ride, the clerk told us that it wasn't his problem that we arrived late and we needed to find our own way to the hotel to get our car.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank klitfin
TPDurham, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Holiday Inn and Suites sincerely apologizes for the miscommunication surrounding your transportation to and from the airport. After evaluating the needs of our customers, we have extended the hours of our airport shuttle service. We now offer shuttle from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Tricia Durham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Greenville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is a very clean, wonderfully appointed hotel. It's newness and modern euro-style decor give it an appearance and feel of a much more expensive property. The bedding is exquiste. I travel 50 to 60% and stay in many hotels. This is one of the nicest facilities around bar none. It is ashamed that the lack of attention to so many details have marred each of my 4 stays here. Most troublesome is the very erratic wireless Internet connectiviy. It works, it doesn't, it works, it doesn't. Moving from one spot to another (say from the lobby back to room) results often in total failure of access. You also find yourself constantly disconnected with no apparent reason and experience large swings in access speeds. Also annoying is the piling of dirty linens in the hallways by the cleaning staff. As you walk the hallways during cleaning time you must dodge these piles with you luggage in tow. I cannot remember staying at a hotel where the used towels and linens were just pilde outside each room. On one stay they were still there at 4:00 PM along with a vacuum cleaner just lying in the floor. Other small things prove slightly bothersome. Lobby coffee is cold in the mornings (again each time I have stayed), Front Desk staff is highly variable. Ranges from very friendly in the AM to the afternoon person being very curt and on two occasions trying to upcharge us from the same room type we paid $ 10 less for on the previous stay just the week before. This occurred twice as we did a walk-in type check in. Upon calling this to her attention each time she adjusted the rate back down but I felt a bit like I was being "rate manipulated". On 2 of our 4 stays when she was at the front desk we also received no Priority Club coupons. I do not know if this hotel does not give any coupons if you utilize the room upgrade priviledge but all other Holiday Inns give you drink/meal coupons even if you do utilize the room upgraded feature of your Prioroty Club membership. Other front desk staff have handled us very, very well and 1 even recognized us when we returned a week later for another stay. Other small annoyances were the lack of a yellow pages in the room, some trash remaining around the pool area for 2 days, 1 room having a very long wait for hot water, another room has a refridgerator that "pops" loudly all the time.

This hotel has so much promise given ist beauty and the LEEDS green standards construction makes one feel feel good staying here. Their HVAC system is a delight with very precise control. It is almost like I am staying at a hotel that would cost twice as much until all the small annoyances pop up again and again.

We tried the restuarant once and were not satisfied with the food quality and were quite disappointed with the varying food temperatures on our plates. I will try it again and see if improvement takes place.

I would have given the location a 5 exept for the ambulance sounds from the nearby hospital. Service would have been a 4 if not for the afternoon desk clerk issues with the room rates on 2 occasions. Rooms and sleep quality rate 5 due to the large size, delightfull bedding and very pleasing decor.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have stayed in Columbia, SC many times over the years, usually at Holiday Inn, with business and other affairs. I recently learned about the new Holiday Inn & Suites off of interstate I-20. I am a platinum priority club member, so needless to say I travel quite often. This new Holiday Inn was by far the nicest hotel I have stayed at. The property itself is gorgeous inside and out. Not to mention they have a retaurant on site with a nice selection of food and alcohol. The rooms were incredible and they are eco friendly. It feels good to know your helping out. I have switched from where I was staying to here and have brought many clients and colleagues with me as well. When you walk in you almost forget it's a Holiday Inn, seriously. I'll be staying there and suggest it to everyone else as well, its convient to get to, the staff is friendly, and its a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

this place was a dream, clean - eco friendly - nice host - decent restaurant - new - easy to find. I have been a priority member since it began and this is nicer than any holiday inn I have ever stayed. Enjoy!!! Totally smoke free facility.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Comfortable property that meets LEED standards for being environmentally friendly without any sacrifice in comfort. I really enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast and the sports bar to watch sports at night and have dinner and a cocktail. This is a very nice property for the money and they did not cut any corners in quality and comfort.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

I go to Columbia on business once a month and stayed here for the first time. I don’t usually write reviews online, but I wanted to share the experience I had at this hotel. I wanted to try something new so I decided to stay at this first LEED Certified (GREEN) hotel in Columbia and I’m very very glad I did. It’s brand new and has just recently opened.

I stayed here for 3 nights and it was simply a sensational hotel in every way. The service was spectacular and very attentive to detail. The hotel was beautifully designed - it had a southern but cool and stylish feel to it. The location was very convenient as it was close to the airport. The bed and linens were very comfortable; the rooms were large, spacious and clean. The food at the restaurant was very tasty and the restaurant itself was fun - I was able to watch the Los Angeles Dodgers game at the sports bar, which had multiple beers on tap as well as multiple flat screen TVs to watch sports.

I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Columbia on business or pleasure. I had a great time there and will stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel is new and very clean. It is a quick drive into Columbia. It has a mod vibe to it. Very different than all of the other HIEs that I have stayed at.The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The whole facility was quiet, probably because of it's newness. If we return to Columbia, we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Columbia
Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia / Lexington
Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbia - Greystone
BEST WESTERN Executive Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport? Share your experiences!