“best Holiday Inn property in the South”

Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in West Columbia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Trenton, New Jersey
“best Holiday Inn property in the South”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Our stay was top notch and would recommend to any business traveler and/or families. This hotel has thoroughly committed itself to the green initiative. This is a hotel doing good things for the community and its guests.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Bruce S,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I always love hearing that our green efforts are appreciated so much. We hope to see you on your next visit to Columbia.

Thanks again,

Marcus Munse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We were passing through and choose this because of our priority membership. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Rooms were clean, well maintained. Beds were comfortable sleeping. Restaurant staff for both dinner and breakfast were indifferent. My husband liked the variety of meat, potatoes and eggs on buffet. I wish there were fruits and yogurt. Juice was extra!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Craig47933,

Thank you for posting a review. I am happy to here that you enjoyed the hotel and you can be sure that I will pass your concerns to our team. Please understand that our buffet differs from that of a limited service property. I am sorry about the service, and we will be sure to create a better experience for you on your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel is new which is good. Beds are comfortable. Location is decent. Lobby is nice. But, bathroom in room with 2 queens is small. Bathtub/shower is an inexpensive fiberglass liner as opposed to tile. TV is small and not high def.

Doesn't appear that the cleaning staff vacuums regularly. When I arrived there was a room service tray outside my room. A corresponding macaroni noodle sat on my floor for 2 days.

Restaurant has terrible service. I stopped by one night for one drink and took forever to place order, get drink and get check. I was wise to not try to eat there.

Would I stay again? Maybe. There are other IHG options nearby that I might try first,

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

I wanted to apologize for your experience at the Holiday Inn. There is certainly no excuse for having a room service tray outside of your room when you checked in; however, I can assure you that every room is vacuumed daily. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our shower/tubs, but I did want to let you know that only the tubs are fiberglass and the surrounds are tile. I will certainly pass along your comments to the restaurant as we will use this to better our performance.

Ridgeway, South Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We rented several rooms for a social event. Everyone in our group was pleased. The rooms were clean and quiet. I rented the suite which gave a separate seating area, small refrigerator and microwave. The staff was friendly and courteous. I agree with other comments regarding the restaurant, but the menu was not my type of food so we ate elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review. We always like to hear that our guests are please with their accommodations. I'm sorry to hear about your thoughts on the restaurant, but you will be pleased to know that we are making great strides at the Sporting News Grill.

We look forward to seeing you next time,

Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed there by force over the St. Patty's Day weekend for a soccer tournament (local soccer club was bedding with this hotel).
The hotel had a nice lobby area, check-in was good, etc.
Stayed in a king bed suite where the bed was in a room to itself, apart from the kitchenette and front room with sofa bed.
Having sliding glass windows were nice but wish they would open more than 3-4 inches (security or insurance reason?) for more air flow.
The reason for the mid rating was the restaurant...
In the mornings, we tried to eat there at the buffet which was a grease buffet (runny scrambled eggs, greasy bacon, dry sausage, grits, corned beef hash, burned home fries) and fruit with water and tea for drinks...no orange juice or milk.
One of servers glared at everyone that walked in too...medium build with a lot of hair extensions. She just looked at everyone as they walked past as if daring them to sit down and didn't say one thing to anyone but was always chatting with her co-workers in a low tone so no one could over hear her.
Anyways, not exactly a good meal for kids to eat before going to play soccer games that day.
An overhaul of the staff would do that place wonders.

Room Tip: Be ready to drive somewhere to eat but the beers at SN are good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review, we enjoyed hosting the St. Patrick's Day soccer tournament here at the Holiday Inn & Suites. It sounds like the room was comfortable for you except for the restrictions of the windows. You are correct about why the window only opens 4"; this is a safety/code issue, similar to the spacing of pickets on elevated railings. We are happy to offer the option of operable windows to our guests which is uncommon in most hotels. We realize the desire for some of our guests to want more outside air in the space to have a more natural indoor atmosphere. This is part of our "green" initiative.

I am sorry to hear about your restaurant experience. You will be happy to know that we have began a new training regiment and our new front-of-the-house manager began this week. I will address how the food is prepared with our chef to be sure that is is not so greasy; however, we are required to have certain items on the buffet as a Holiday Inn Brand Standard. I do understand the need for a healthier breakfast before going to play soccer. This is certainly something to investigate when we have sports teams in house. We will continue to use reviews like this as a reminder of our commitment to better ourselves and constantly work on our guest's experience.

l1i2s3a
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed there 2 nights in February. Everything was as you would expect in the Holiday Inn and Suites name. Clean, comfortable, fresh. Front desk attendants were cordial and very responsive. But, the Sporting News Grill didn't match up to the hotel. Each morning we tried to have breakfast there, but waited at least 20 minutes before we were even served. On the second morning it became comical as people walked in, weren't greeted after 10 minutes and just left. The staff didn't even know they had been there. It was seat yourself and we struggled to find a table that had been wiped clean, even though there were only a few people actually eating the the restaurant. On the second morning we ordered omelets, they turned out to be egg wraps.... a thin egg wrapped around very raw ingredients even raw onions. We tried ordering iced tea and they had to make it, but it was awful. We tried ordering decaf coffee and were told they don't usually make it because not many people request it. When they did make it, it didn't get to our table until after we finished our breakfast.

If you go to this hotel, your stay will be pleasant. Just don't plan on eating in the hotel. There is no complimentary breakfast buffet, so plan on eating out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I am very disappointed and even embarrassed at your restaurant experience. I very much appreciate the pleasantries about the hotel as we always strive to uphold the Holiday Inn standard of excellence. The restaurant, however, is a department of the hotel and as such impacts the overall experience of our guest's stay. You can be sure that I will share these comments with my team members as we use these critiques as a tool for bettering ourselves and our hospitality.

I did read your comment on our hotel not having a complimentary breakfast. Please keep in mind that we are a full service hotel (not a Holiday Inn Express) that offers a full restaurant/bar plus room service. All of our items are made to order with fresh ingredients.

Kent, Ohio
Reviewed January 23, 2014

First time staying here. I travel quite a bit, domestically and internationally. This is one of the best Holiday Inns I've stayed at. The facility is very nice, the service is very good. The lounge & restaurant are above average for hotels in this category. All in all, very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Unclecurt,

Thank you for the excellent review. Our team really enjoys receiving this positive feedback, proving that our hard work does not go unnoticed. I am also happy to see that you were very impressed with every aspect of your stay except for the location. Unfortunately that is something we cannot control; however, I hope that the other areas of your stay made up for it.

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future,

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Columbia
Comfort Inn
#22 of 94 in Columbia
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia
Sleep Inn at Bush River Road

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport? Share your experiences!