“Good, but not great”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Estes Park, Colorado
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and comfortable, and I really appreciate all the 'green' features. However, I have two fairly major complaints.

First, the free airport shuttle was complete booked for an hour before and an hour after my preferred departure time by airline crews staying at the hotel. If they are going to offer shuttle services, and if they are a primary hotel for the crews, they should either upsize the shuttle, add another, or provide taxi service - - at least for Platinum priority members.

The second issue was the noise factor. When I inquired upon checkout, I discovered the hotel is very close to one of the major hospitals. All night long there was constant ambulance, fire, or other first-responder type siren activity.

A third minor complaint was the sporadic internet service. I was on the fifth floor and it was pretty poor most of the evening.

Other reviewers have mentioned the breakfast coupon provided at checkin. Again, as a Platinum member, I would have appreciated receiving one.

OK, one more little thing - - the coffee table in the living area. I was upgraded to a beautiful suite with separate living and sleeping areas. Is anyone else having troubles with the sharp cornerd coffee tables in many of these suites? This was not the first time I have collided with the table in the wee morning hours. This time it was a stubbed toe, most times it has been knicked shins. It would be interesting to know the percentage of guests who appreciate and use the tables compared to those of us who curse them! I know, I know - - I could have turned on a light.

Well, that reminds me of one last issue - - electrical outlets. No bedside outlet and limited outlets throughout the suite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side - - if one is quieter - - and a room closer to the wireless router.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Marcus_Munse, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments on our property. We take great pride in making sure the guests are happy. That being said, I am very sorry to hear about our short comings. It is extremely uncommon for the shuttle to be without space, especially twice in one day. I will agree with you however, that we should have called a cab for you in order to make your stay more accommodating, especially with your proven loyalty as a Platinum Member.

Unfortunately we are unable to control the noise level from the hospital, but we have taken every possibly measure in the construction of our property creating an extra tight building envelope that not only helps in our green efforts but also helps in deadening exterior sounds from infiltration the building, and thus disturbing our guests.

I apologize for the coffee table attacking your shins. I completely understand since I have encountered the same problem. We've found our best solution is to move the table directly against couch in the living area to get it out of the way from guests walking in through the front door.

The internet connection should not be a problem. We have installed twice as many access points throughout the hotel as was recommended. When you visit us again I would be happy to assist you in securing the strongest signal possible. We also have a third party company that will be happy to assist you. There contact information is on the desk in the rooms, and they can do everything from troubleshooting your PC to resetting access points throughout the hotel.

I hope to see you in the near future, and if there is anything I can help you with now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We were able to get a reasonable rate on the room. We only needed it for one night. It was my husband, our 2 son (teenage boys), and myself. When we arrived there were two wedding parties staying there. The lady at the front desk was apologetic because they just walked in and cut in front of people checking in. But she helped them first anyways.... The rooms are okay nothing special. For what appears to be a pretty new hotel it isn't very clean. The view from our room was of another hotel that was partially closed. The end that we were seeing was the end not used. Leaving us to see a run down building. The Bar/grill downstairs was dirty. We sat at the bar area the bar was so nasty it made us not eat there. If it looks like that out here no telling what the back of the house looks like! Overall it was a disappointment. This was our first experience with a Holiday Inn and will likely be out last. I wasn't impressed with anything. For what we paid we could have chosen a much nicer hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel AT ALL! The health department should pay them a visit.

• Stayed October 2012
RYonemura, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and letting us know about some areas that we need to look into. We are glad that our front desk staff was apologetic during the group rush you experienced at check-in; we do want all of our guests accommodated quickly and in a fair order. The housekeeping and restaurant staff managers have been provided with your review and will address with staff directly.
Our team regrets that your first Holiday Inn experience on a busy weekend was not exceptional - please know that our General Manager will contact you directly regarding your feedback. We hope that your family does get the opportunity to experience the Holiday Inn & Suites brand again in the future and that it exceeds your expectations.
Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was not as impressed with this hotel as the staff and other reviewers seem to have been. The staff of the hotel was friendly, however, they do not have enough parking for guests and any event that they have. The room was nice and clean and yes it does have a remote controlled a/c that is mostly quiet. A big issue in my book is the fact that they have a dresser in the room with no refrigerator in the large void on the right side. Obviously the void is intended as a resting spot for this modern convenience as the back is open and it is too short for any other use.
They appeared to have had some kind of event happening last night and guests were not privileged to have parking spots due to the event and restaurant using all of the parking spaces. In my view the paying guest should not have to drive around or wait as one would do at the mall during the Christmas season just to get a parking spot.
They do offer a 10% coupon for the attached restaurant for breakfast and no the 10% is not removed from the bill. I should not have to discuss this with the staff of the restaurant when they are presented with a coupon that is supposed to be valid. Thje restaurant staff seemed to be very much over having to do anything more than the basics, omlet bar person walked away in front of me, one small cup of OJ for 2.25 with no refill and asking to get the bill to leave the place really irks me.

Room Tip: request a high numbered room to be closer to the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RYonemura, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and sharing some of the ways that we can improve our overall guest satisfaction. We did note that on the evening of your stay we had a large Annual Chamber Gala and the parking was limited at the time of your arrival. While we don't have events of that size often it is important to us to make certain our hotel guests have access to check-in and check-out with ease. We will work to keep this in mind for future events. Our in room dressers are designed to hold refrigerators but as an eco-friendly property we chose not to put refrigerators in every room - we have since added more and will continue to add this amenity for guests who would like it.
Our restaurant management team has also shared your review - our 10% off voucher is given to hotel guests to provide them with a lower rate on our breakfast buffet and omelet bar. We provide these programs for convenience and our service should never be less than exceptional. Please except our apology and know that we have every intention of ensuring that our staff learn from this review and move forward providing future guests with great food and service.
Graham, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Reserved three rooms and had an overall good experience. Ate a late dinner in the sports bar downstairs, and food was very good and reasonably priced. Rooms very clean and most of reception staff were pleasant. Only minor hiccup was the air conditioning was broken in one of rooms. We asked that it be looked at while we were out for the afternoon, but it obviously wasn't. However, they did move him to another room that evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New Albany, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently stayed for our family reunion and took up many of the hotel's rooms. The staff was very welcoming and hospitable for a large crowd. The hotel has been remodeled and I was pleased with the cleanliness of the room and bathrooms. The lobby was large enough to gather several family members at a time. My only disapointment was the size of the pool area. It was small as was the lounging area around the pool. Overall, this is a great and affordable option in the Lexington/West Columbia area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have a horrible view to a vacant hotel next door.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Our only problem was that the breakfast buffet that should have opened 6:30 wasn't ready until after 7. It put a kink in our travel plans. But the room was gorgeous, very clean and modern decor. Loved the hotel. We will stay here again, but we may just eat at waffle house next time.

• Stayed July 2012
Kentucky
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel since it was near the Lexington Medical Center where my daughter had her baby. Checked in after midnight without a reservation and was still treated very curtiously by staff members. Room was very clean. Loved being able to use the elevator instead of having to carry my luggage upstairs by myself. Desk staff always greeted me as I came in the door. Hotel restaurant was very slow with orders. I waited almost 45 minutes for my dinner. I asked the manager if my order was lost, and he personally brought it out less than 5 minutes later and comped a free dessert. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Inn
#21 of 94 in Columbia
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Northwest

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport? Share your experiences!