“Nice hotel, nice stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charlotte, NC
“Nice hotel, nice stay”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We had a baseball tournament in the area and the coach chose the hotel. We were going to stay anyway but the reviews on TripAdvisor were favorable so I had high expectations. The room was clean and modern. A little cramped for 2 adults and 2 teenagers but any hotel room would have been. There was a washing machine on the 3rd floor (free of charge but bring detergent) which was a nice plus. My only issue was breakfast which was included off of a set menu. We waited probably 10-15 minutes the first morning for bacon and eggs and toast and we witnessed another guest wait just as long and have to leave. We didn't even bother the second morning. Reception was nice and there were recycle bins everywhere. Never used the pool or exercise room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
TPDurham, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
We appreciate your input and we are very proud of our hotel and restaurant! We serve a made to order hot breakfast which cannot always be delivered in 10 minutes. Being a new property, we are still evaluating the staffing needs of high volume mornings. We would love the opportunity to serve you and your ball team again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Love the Hotel!! Had a bad experience not once but twice at the Sorting News Restaurant. I, my wife and my son stayed their several days ago. Restaurant manager was rude throughout entire visit. She would stand in the background and stare at all the customers as we werew prisoners and she had to keep guard on us. Very uncomfortable!
At 10:30 p.m. (FRIDAY) , my wife wanted to order something for our son because he had called from room and said he was hungry. When she went place the order to the bartender...... i looked in the mirror and saw the manager motion to her to not take our order.
I asked the bartender what time they closed and she said 11:00 p.m. She said kitchen was already closed. THEN...... about 5 minutes later, the table behind us placed an order to go and it was accepted by their server. My wife turned around to the manager who was staring at eveyone and asked "are you open or not"?
After seeing our frustration she said "yes mam, we are open til 11:00 pm. Only then were we allowed to order.
It seemed that the manager of this restaurant closes whenever she sees fit. Whether hours are to 11 or not.

VERY ROOD RESTAURANT STAFF!!!! WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS HOTEL DUE TO THE FACT OF THE RUDENESS OF THE RESTAURANT. TOO BAD...... NICE HOTEL!

Room Tip: Needs fridges and microwaves in rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I was in town on business, attending a convention about 5 miles away at the city's convention center.

I was very impressed by the friendliness of the staff: Front Desk personnel frequently addressed me by name when I was in the lobby, and our waiter in the restaurant was also very chipper and gleeful with his service.

I had booked two rooms and was given an upgrade to a suite for one of them, which helped start my trip off to a great start. I am a Platinum with Holiday Inn (and upgrades are a benefit of the membership status, but I never take upgrades for granted). Thanks HI!

The hallway temperature in the corridors where the rooms are located is warmer than usual, but I suppose that was because the hotel was conserving of its use of energy. This Holiday Inn is LEED certified, meaning that it recycles a lot and has incorporated ways of doing business that minimize its environmental impact, so that was reassuring.

The "business center" is an area with one computer in an open-air environment adjacent to the lobby; so if you're coming to do business, you may want to bring a laptop if you want to feel free to use the internet without the possibility of having to wait for someone to finish their use of the hotel's single guest-computer.

It would've been nice to also get free breakfast, since I know other full-service HI's in the area give that particular benefit to the brand's most loyal travelers. Free food is a great way to attract or even retain business of the brand's most loyal travelers.

Overall though - I had a blast and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Columbia area. The service was impeccable, the rooms were excellent, and the location was perfect - just off the interstate, and less than 5 miles from my business destination.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My family (3 kids 9,6,4 ages and husband) stayed at the hotel over memorial weekend. THe hotel is very new and is a hidden secret. It is just a very clean and lovely place. The front desk staff was friendly and even the guest. The rooms are kinda small. There is not much of a view from room but the decor makes up for that. It sits off the interstate but still nice and quiet. The pool is outside and smaller than I expected just from the looks of the hotel and others I have seen. We didnt get to enjoy the resturant there only because there was one staff member on hand. It must not pick up much business during lunch hours. A nice place but we didnt feel as if we were going to be taken care of too well, it just didnt give off a great vibe.

Room Tip: Call hotel morning of arrival, n ask 4 what u like
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Augusta, GA
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We just finished a 2 day weekend conference at this hotel. The excellence began from the first call to Event Coordinator. We set an appointment with Raven and Kelly to see the facility [absolutely gorgeous] to discuss our event and needs. Their professionalism, spirit of cooperation and cordial attitude made our decision for us as to where we would have our meeting. We were NOT disappointed. The speakers and our crew began arriving on Wednesday. The personnel in every area made us feel welcome and gave me confidence in having our needs met. The front desk personnel [I particularly remember Davey and Adam - thanks!!] showed not only willingness to take care of any request, but actually seemed happy to do it for us. I liked that! As for the event itself, every detail discussed in pre-planning was covered and in some areas actually went a bit above and beyond my expectations. The set-up crew -great job [Thanks Terry]! The banquet food and personnel - wonderful! This was the most satisfactory, pleasant and delightful conference I have been a part of planning and facilitating for our organization.
Lovely rooms and we found the restaurant to have fair prices, good service and delightful personnel. Special accolades to Ronald and Lorainne!

Room Tip: Simply tell them what you need.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2011

A friend and I stayed at this hotel while attending the Masters in Augusta. The service on the hotel side was amazing and our rooms were clean. At one point during our stay, we needed directions to the tournament and the front desk clerk was able to find us the easiet and fastest route. We visited the restaurant and were greeted by a friendly and upbeat hostess. We wanted to watch coverage on the Masters and our waitress was happy to help. We stayed in the bar for a few hours and our waitress never rushed us or acted impatient. She engaged us in conversation and gave us helpful hints about the area.

Our only complaint was the manager in the restaurant; she made the environment very tense and unwelcoming. She seemed to be uncomfortable with our waitress talking to us because she kept watching her and pulling her away from the conversation. I noticed that she also did this to the bartender.

We came back the second night and requested the same waitress and had the same situation. The manager stood at the bar and glared at us the entire time. She interrupted our conversation multiple times; at one point, she told our waitress to roll silverware. I felt like this was very odd considering she was in the middle of conversing with a customer.

People go to restaurants to relax, not to feel like they are inconviencing someone. Our waitress, bartender, and hostess were very kind and good at making us feel at home. However, the manager was not.

We will still stay at the same hotel next time we are in the area and we will still use the bar - the room rates and beer prices are awesome! Hopefully the manager will learn a little bit about customer service by then. She made our experience in the restaurant dreadfully awkward.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank AlanH2008
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We arrived at this hotel strictly by mistake because our airline gate agent failed to give us the proper Holiday Inn they put us up in overnight due to a recent flight cancellation. Our (7) year old was tired and it was almost 1 AM in the morning .

The individual at the Hotel desk when we arrived "in short order" made a few calls because he had never seen a US Airways voucher. in minutes, we had our room key and were in the room for a short but well deserved nap until our wake up call (3) hours later.

To end a very short story, because of one persons professional can due attitude and ability to do the right thing has turned my opinion around relative to Holiday Inn's. It is clear to me Holiday Inn is no different than any 5 Star location. It all comes down to treatment ! Bells and whistles mean nothing if the employee's and management team are less than first class.

Wm Bennett

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#21 of 94 in Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Columbia - Airport? Share your experiences!