“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in West Columbia
Columbia, SC
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed March 16, 2008

This was probably the nicest, cleanest hotel we have every stayed at. First walked into the lobby, I knew this was a good place. It was so nice, beautifly decorated. The clerk at the lobby was very polite and helpful. He gave us a discounted price for our room, which was a nice surprise. The grounds were also very clean, nicely landscaped, even though it was pouring rain when we arrived.
We got to our room, and I was in total shock as to how nice the room was. I always hold my breath when entering a hotel room because you just never know what to expect. The room was spotless. The beds were made with very pretty comforters, a real pretty burgandy color, and the mattresses were the pillowtop kind.There were plenty of pillows on the beds as well. The vanity was well stocked with towels, and toiletries. Also there was a coffee maker, microwave and a small fridge in the room. The bathroom was spotless as well. The shower had that new curved shower rod, which was nice. My only complaint, and its just a personal preference for me, so not really a complaint, is that I prefer the vanity and bathroom to be in one room, not seperate, my reason being is so my husband is not disturbed by hairdryer, the lights, things like that if he wants to sleep in. But as I said, thats just my personal preference. Also, there was the breakfast area, in the lobby. It was stocked with the usual continental breakfast, but there was also a waffle maker so you could make your own waffles, and also a crock pot with fresh oatmeal cooking. I would like to have seen maybe some fresh fruit but there was orange and apple juice. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. It was a great place.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Corpus Christi, TX
Reviewed August 18, 2007

On a trip to Myrtle Beach, we flew in and out of Columbia. We arrived late at night so I called the Comfort Inn from the hotel listings board at the Airport and made a reservation. This is one of the old type motels with all the doors opening to the outside--not a good thing. The bathroom was barely large enough to hold a tub and commode and the lavoratory was in the bedroom. The A/C was very noisy. On our flight home, we stayed at the Sleep Inn right next door. Take my advice and stay at the Sleep Inn if you need to stay in the area!

• Liked — Location close to airport for late arrival.
  • Disliked — An old property disguised as a Comfort Inn.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these West Columbia hotels

Northeast,Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2007

We stayed at this Comfort Inn just a week ago while visiting my brother for his graduation from basic training at Fort Jackson. We had originally booked the Hamption on Harbison Blvd/I-26, but as it was quite expensive and a little further away from the post, we decided to switch to the comfort inn to save some time back and forth to the post and some money. We booked this hotel after not seeing many reviews good or bad, and figured it would be o.k.

While the price was more affordable than the Hampton, it still wasn't great. We paid $85/night for 2 double beds. Now, these were not queen size. More like fulls, which didn't help my husband much who is 6'4". The overall condition of the hotel and room was fine. Everything was clean, but the hotel seemed old. The beds in the rooms seemd old, and not very comfortable. However, it was adequate and was fine as we weren't in our room much. The cable was pretty lousy though as far as the recpetion and it included no in room movies.

The lobby was nice and included waffles for breakfast, but not much of a selection in general for breakfast. Mostly just continental with the addition of the waffles.

As far as check -in my sister had a problem. We had each booked a room and we didn't arrive until 3:30 in the morning. The first thing the person at the desk said was "I hope you have a reservation"....pretty rude and not very considerate. Then we proceeded to check-in. My reservation was fine which I booked online through the hotel. My sister had called to book hers, and they said they had "lost it", and didn't have a room for her. What to do at 3 in the morning?!?!?! So, luckily I had booked a double bed room to save $, so she was able to stay with my husband and I for the first night. She was rather irritated and the guy didn't do anything to try to help, he just said they were booked that night and wouldn't be able to help her find another room. The next morning a different person at the desk was able to book her a room for the remaining two nights with no problems. This person was much nicer and curteous.

All in all, you get what you pay for...well, sometimes. This place was adequate for a shower and a place to sleep, but not much more. If you're looking for a nice hotel to relax/vacation in don't go here. Anyway, I would've rather paid the extra $ to stay at the Hampton. Every experience there has always been pleasant.

• Liked — The waffles at breakfast.
  • Disliked — It seemed like an old hotel, and the outdoor pool while not open looked dirty. There were no views to be had except of the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank snowgurl
Augusta, GA
Reviewed August 4, 2006

After checking in around 10:00pm we found the room to be extremely hot and heat soaked. At around 11:00pm the air conditioning system was still putting out barely cool air and the room temperature was still over 90 degrees. Our two kids were very tired and ready to go to bed but there was no way for them to go to sleep in that heat. The A/C was so weak it was clearly going to be many hours before the room was inhabitable. We asked the desk clerk if there were any other rooms available that were already cool, and he said no they would all have the A/C turned off and we would have to wait for them to cool down. Presumeably another room might have a stronger A/C, but with it now being 11pm and us having two overtired kids, we elected to go across the street to a Country Inn and Suites where the room was already cool and ready to occupy. We asked the Comfort Inn desk clerk for consideration, but he said only the manager could authorize a refund or discount after check-in. So we paid full price for one hour in a 90 degree plus room. After complaining to Choice Hotels, I received a letter from the hotel manager stating that we had moved to three different rooms (completely false!) and that if we had just "given it a little more time" everything would have been fine and offered us a 20% discount on our next stay. Not only will there be no next stay at this hotel, I intend to avoid Choice Hotels in general.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Disliked — Indifferent staff, poor condition
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
OWINGSVILLE
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We stopped here on our way back from Daytona and it was the nicest hotel of the trip. Everything was comfortable. We will stay here again when we go to Daytona. The price waws great too. They will bargain with you!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Columbia
#8 of 11 in West Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
Quality Inn West Columbia
#5 of 11 in West Columbia

Been to Days Inn & Suites Columbia Airport? Share your experiences!