Old Academy Bed and Breakfast
$104
ComfortInn
Econo Lodge Walterboro(Walterboro)(Great Value!)
$57
$43
$99
$84
BestWestern.com
All reviewsbreakfast was delicioussouthern hospitalityjeanlinenscharleston
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our trip to Old Academy B & B was beyond our expectations. It was spotless, charming, quaint, quiet and peaceful. The breakfast was out of this world!! We thoroughly enjoyed Don and Jean's company. We can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Suzan W
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The inn and grounds are beautiful and immaculate, the interior decorated with pictures of the Sterlings' now-grown children and grandchildren. The inn is in a quiet area, but the guest rooms are all on the same second floor and in close proximity to each other. Our room had a private bath. The inn is within short driving distance of a main street area in which there are a few nice retaurants to eat in on a Saturday night, and in which to walk around antiquing on a Sunday, with your dogs, both of which we did. Food and antiques are pricey here - no deals. We were told by Don Sterling that the inn is pet-friendly when we called a few days prior to our stay, and it says as much on their Web site; but, Jean Sterling seemed anxious about our leaving our smallish dogs in our guest room when we went out for dinner Saturday evening. even though we considerately brought our own gates and securely gated them in so as to protect their doors if they scratched (they didn't - but, as a dog trainer, I always plan ahead and consider peoples' property). She was also concerned about our dogs being on the bed, yet she knew in advance that we were bringing dogs and could have removed the bedspread ahead of time that she ended up removing when she saw our (freshly groomed) dogs. I know the routine with our dogs when we leave them - one of them will gently whine for a few minutes, then settle down. When we returned from dinner, we were told that our dogs were "noisy" (which has never been said about our dogs, EVER, and we routinely stay in various hotels and B & Bs with them on our annual drives to and from Florida, and elsewhere!); but, when I questioned Jean further, she admitted that what I just described is what occurred, just a few minutes of gentle whining and then a settling down. And, FWIW, there were no other guests in the inn that night, aside from the owners a floor below, so there was nobody else to be distrurbed and we were back fairly early for a Saturday night, before 9:30 p.m. Also, a dog-friendly inn would be smart enough to not leave the guest chocolates in the room where dogs could get them (dogs are allergice to chocolate). After we arrived, I removed the chocolate myself from the tabletops which were accessible from the bed if our dogs chose to jump on it. However, the bed itself was too high for us to allow our smallish dogs to jump on, which was also a disappointment, as our dogs could not sleep with us as they normally do. Although they could get up on the bed, I was concerned that they could break a leg jumping down (one of our dogs is nine years of age, although fit), so I disallowed their jumping up, "fortifying" the area around the bed with our luggage so that they were discouraged from trying to jump up on the bed. They did not try to do so. We were concerned, too, that if one of us rolled off the bed in our sleep, we could break something as well! How can I say that the bed was way too high? I was afraid I'd get a nosebleed, LOL. We were not offered any Milk Bones or dog bowls for our dogs, which most "pet friendly" hotels and inns offer. Although Mrs. Sterling expressed anxiety about our two small dogs during our whole stay, she needn't have. I am a professional dog trainer and told her that I've been so for 10 years, and our dogs are very well-trained and well-behaved, yet this information did little, it seemed, to quell her anxieties. She wanted to hold our dogs with her downstairs on leash while we were out for dinner, but I would never leave my dogs with a stranger, no matter how well-meaning, as I have no evidence that such a person knows how to handle a dog or may not inadvertently have let our dogs wander out the back door, which was left open, if they dropped the leash. Mr. Sterling, OTOH, was comfortable with everything and seemed to have no complaints or concerns. All this does not spell "dog friendly inn" to me, although they advert as being "dog friendly." I would imagine that those without dogs will find the inn and the owners extremely pleasant and courteous. The breakfast was generous and amazing - yogurt with granola, pecan-crusted French toast which was baked, generous amounts of decaf coffee, fresh cream, juice, and even dessert (at breakfast!). However, upon paying for our stay, in cash, we were a bit surprised. We were given one price by Don Sterling on the phone a few days prior to our stay which matched the highest price on their Web site. When we paid in cash for our overnight stay to Jean Sterling, who told us that the inn was empty except for us because it was now "off season" in the last week of May, a price of $10 more than what Mr. Sterling quoted us and what we had seen on the Web site was requested by Nrs. Sterling. We didn't say anything and simply paid the higher fee, and wondered if the higher rate was because our dogs had caused her (needless - they were perfect canine guests) anxiety. Because of her anxiety we became overly vigilant about every little sound the dogs made during the night, even the light sound of their nails clicking if they got up during the night to reposition and walked around for a moment on the wooden floor in the room upstairs, and their happy howls when we arrived back from dinner, which last about a minute and are par for the course when dogs greet the people they love and who love them. We hightly recommend the inn for those without pets, but offer a word of caution to dog owners who may be told that the inn is "dog-friendly" that, in this regard, they may be quite disappointed and even confused upon their stay. Also, make sure you have the room rate established, whether you bring dogs or not, as it, apparently, can change, even in the "off season" when prices generally become lowered for many inns and hotels in the south. Or, don't be like us, and if you feel you're being charged more - SAY SOMETHING! I regret that we didn't. It is our opinion that "dog friendly" should probably be removed from their Web site. Dogs don't really get much better than ours, who are both certified therapy dogs allowed into assisted living facilities and certified Canine Good Citizens through the AKC, as well as trained in competition obedience and agility; so, if Mrs. Sterling had a problem with our dogs, I can't imagine what anxiety dogs who aren't as well-trained and well-behaved as ours would cause her. Nice lady, but she needlessly drove us crazy about our very well-behaved dogs.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheMuttMaven
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Clean, quiet, comfortable. I will be back next year.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank SunshineSailing
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We have stayed with owners Jean and Don Sterling a number of times while traveling south to flee Canadian winters. We have always been welcomed warmly and enjoy their beautifully restored "old Academy". Jean's breakfasts and elegant and delicious. We will continue to stay with then each time we travel in their area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank killenbeck
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I visit Walterboro a couple of times a year to visit family, and it's getting more and more difficult to find a hotel which will accomodate two fussy people. Therefore we decided to try the Old Academy Band B. This trip included 3 fussy people, including my 95 year old dad. Jean and Don could not have been more wonderful to us. Dad (who is totally independent ) was given a room on the first floor and Jean and Don chatted with the early riser with such kindness and interest. The historic home itself is absolutely beautifully maintained and completely fresh and totally spotless. Our two breakfasts with Jean and Don were scrumptious and the portions generous. We had a wonderful visit and certainly will be back when we are able.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple