“Creepy & Poor Service”

Econo Lodge Walterboro
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Walterboro
“Creepy & Poor Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

As we pulled into the parking lot of EconoLodge, I got creeped out with the area which did not have enough lighting in the parking lot. We booked a one night stay, and thank goodness it was for only one night. We checked in at 11:57 pm, and I asked for a late check-out. The guy at the front desk told me that they only approve a late check-out after 12:00 am. I asked him that it's almost 12:00 am if he could just cut me some slack. I asked him if it's okay to wait then, but he told me that I'm already checked-in and only the supervisor can approve it and there were no supervisor in sight. I was too tired to argue, so I just went ahead to our room. As we opened the door to our room, it had this weird smell. The a/c was so loud and apparently on its last leg. I thought it was going to blow up at any moment. I don't know why we booked a room with EconoLodge again when the very first time we stayed at an EconoLodge somewhere else, we had a bad experience then also. Actually, it was my husband who booked it for my daughter and I as we were driving from Maryland to Florida. He read all the reviews, and said people giving it a really good review. (4.2 out of 5.....really???) Well, I don't know what all the good reviews were about because I didn't see it!. Anyway, it's a lesson learned for me. I was trying to give EconoLodge the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately, it didn't work for me again for the second time. Bad or good reviews, never again will I stay in any EconoLoge anymore.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Rubylicious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I wasn't blown away by the room. It was clean and basic. The blow dryer was missing, the toilet kept running after you flushed it, the phone didn't work... All in all, it was an okay stay while we traveled to our main destination.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela N
Castleton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just as the previous reviewers said. Clean, comfortable, friendly staff! Great idea to have all in one tub/shower. No caulk or grout to get dirty. Had a microwave and refrigerator in the room. Coffee and continental breakfast were both very good. There also was an option to get a free breakfast at the Waffle House. Would definitely stay there again and will tell our fellow travelers about it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen S
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you are looking for an inexpensive and clean place to stay for the night during a long road trip, this place is great. The room was your basic motel room but very, very clean. I found the beds to be comfortable and the WiFi worked great. I was traveling with two small children, so my priority was cleanliness and safety and this motel ranks high on both. You can't beat the price either ($53 for two double beds). The staff were also very friendly. Highly recommended for a quick stop.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Burro34
Fernandina Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Dated, with small rooms, but very clean. WiFi worked great. Bring your own pillow; theirs are terrible. Very inexpensive. Perfect if you want to pull of the highway, sleep and drive off in the morning. A couple of restaurants of the Waffle House, Ruby Tuesday variety within walking distance. Easy on, easy off.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter; they're all the same.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mrburnspc
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed there one night based on Trip Advisor ratings. Was very pleasantly surprised that the units looked recently renovated, smelled new, beds were very comfy and everything was really clean. They offer a continental breakfast or a voucher for light breakfast at Waffle House within walking distance. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I don't think any room would be noisy based on the way the motel is layed out.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

the hotel was super easy to find, the check-in very easy. we picked this one based on the other positive reviews and they were accurate. we used the free waffle house breakfast vouchers, which gave you a choice of two different breakfast options, you pay for your own beverages. not bad. we paid 13 including $6 tip for 4 people to eat breakfast.

the area of the hotel was a bit sketchy, but been in worse off the 95. we did have a fridge, hairdryer, and microwave in the room. tv was a bit old school...

overall good stay for what we stayed for. checked out the slave relic museum and Tuskegee airman monument in the morning before hitting the road. well worth it.

• Stayed August 2013