“Decent stay - slightly overpriced”

Days Inn Walterboro
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Walterboro
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My kids and I decided to stop here last night on our way back to Florida and I was grateful to get a room at nearly 10pm on a holiday weekend. I was a little unhappy with the price as I was hoping to spend around 20 dollars less, but the room was comfortable and clean and breakfast was included, which I hadn't anticipated. I would have liked a mini-fridge, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The place was in reasonably good condition and the breakfast was passable. In the end I was glad to get off the road and have a safe, comfortable place to hole up for the night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Walterboro

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here in Dec 2010 and had a good experience. So I decided to stop here again this year.

Unfortunately, things changed for the worse. The manager tried to get me to upgrade to a mini fridge at an extra $15. Last year it was cheerfully offered at the coupon rate, along with a microwave. Hard to understand as I arrived early, before dark.

Last year I had a room on the west side of the property, which is very well lighted. This year I was put on the east side, with a dimly lit parking lot facing a busy restaurant and interstate highway.

There is a large sign next to the check-in counter stating that the motel management is not responsible for guest valuables or property while staying at the facility. I found that interesting in light of previous reviews.

The (non-smoking) room had a smell of something like a cover up. The shower stall had a strong smell of mold.

The room did not have a brochure or even one scrap of paper explaining anything about the features and amenities of the motel property or the local area restaurants and attractions. The lack of information is obvious when you see the large empty brochure holder on the dresser.

The TV is fuzzy tube type on its last legs. Electrical outlets are inconveniently located. The outlet behind the bedside stand was disassembled with the plate and screw lying on the floor. See photo.

The computer wi-fi was very weak. Took 4 tries to get it working. Frustrating. I wouldn't depend on it for anything important.

The front door lock was missing its bottom screw. The security bar was loose, it appeared that it had been forced and the bottom screw thread was stripped. See photo.

The bathroom door had a lot of pry marks and and a long crack extended down the side of the door above and below the lock. See photo.

I wanted a cup of coffee in the morning but the bathroom area electrical outlet did not work. The bottom screw of the plate was missing and the outlet was loose. See photo. I made coffee using the plug by the entrance door.

The toilet seat was loose on one side and made a VERY loud noise when moved up or down.

A continental breakfast is provided. The orange juice was watery but didn't taste like juice or water. The cereal and milk was OK.

In summary, I made the best of the situation as I was only stopped overnight. However, most travelers would want to avoid this establishment.

I will not be back to any Days Inn if the franchisor allows their name to be used in this way. They must have very low standards for their properties.

Room Tip: west side has better lighting
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Tom T
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed last night on our way to Florida. The room was clean and the bathroom was small but nice. Well lit parking lot and excellent breakfast. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Get a coupon book from the welcome center!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
harry-trip, Manager at Days Inn Walterboro, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

thanks for your respond.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed at this Days Inn twice to and from our trip to Florida. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay (quiet, clean and a free breakfast). The hotel is a convenient break between Phialadelphia and Palm Beach. The hotel staff checked that our accomodations were fine and we paid only $46 per night (no upcharge for fri-sun) using a coupon from a book from the SC welcome center. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
harry-trip, Manager at Days Inn Walterboro, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

Thank You for your respond regarding your pleasure experience with our hotel .It's our goal to give best service to our guests. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

We checked in at 7:55 PM and walked across the street to the Cracker Barrel for dinner and were robbed of $250.00 in cash, Credit cards, blank checks and $250.00 in gift cards. Our friend next door was also robbed of credit cards and blank checks. Obviously, we were being watched when we checked in. They used a pass key to enter our rooms. This all happened within one hour. We didn't realize we had been robbed until the next morning. I was missing $250.00 in cash. We left the motel and traveled about 60 miles and received a telephone call from the credit card company asking if we had used a particular card the night before in South Carolina. We had not used it. After numerous telephone calls we found out that the credit cards that were missing had been used around 9:00 pm in the area of the motel. The Walterboro police were notified and banks and credit card companies were also notified. We called the manager of the Day's Inn and she insisted that this did not happen at her motel. We explained over and over again to her that it did happen at her motel. We asked her to call the police and check her security tapes. She would not do that. She refused to help us. We have lost a substantial amount of money. It has required a lot of time to change bank accounts and credit card accounts. We feel that this was an inside job. There was no evidence of a break in. Obviously, they had a key to our room and our friends room. We were watched and they knew when to enter our rooms. We do not trust these people. DO NOT STAY IN THIS MOTEL! Who knows how many people have been robbed and didn't know it until they arrived at home. This has been one of the worst experiences of our lives. We feel we have been violated. AGAIN, DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott256
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I am always skeptical when I find a really good deal but this Days Inn for $40 plus tax for the night fit me perfectly. The queens size bed was comfortable. The room was clean. And although it did have a micro in the room, eating at the Cracker Barrel next door was too convenient to pass up. The mini fridge kept my water cold for the next day's trek which started out with a complimentary hot breakfast. Good deal all around.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank phantom70
harry-trip, Manager at Days Inn Walterboro, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Reviewed July 15, 2010

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT ONCE AGAIN DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL!!! My uncle booked this hotel without receiving feedback from the other members of his family in regards to hotel accommodations. The first day we checked in my father noticed that the door on the room looked like it had been broken in to. As soon as I turned to A/C on something flew in my eye, and it reeked of vinegar and hot sauce!!! So we could not sleep with the air on!! The next day my father complained to the manager and she refused to give us our $$ back so she decided to move us to another room. Once we changed rooms our sheets and shower curtain had stains which were from lipstick or maybe even blood!! And they were dirty!! We refused to eat the free breakfast because if the rooms looked so bad, we wondered where the food was before it got to the lobby!! If you are going to risk your life and stay here I would only do it if u needed to take a nap! Not overnight. The hotel reminded us of the movie Vacancy!! Avoid it!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family