“Fun and informative tour”

Charleston Tea Plantation
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Charleston Tea Plantation is the home of American Classic Tea, tea grown in America. It is located on picturesque Wadmalaw Island in the heart of South Carolina's Lowcountry. Its grounds include 127 acres of Camellia Sinensis tea plants, a working Tea Factory and a charming Plantation Gift Shoppe. Also available to guests is an adventurous and educational Trolley Tour that explores the scenic grounds that produce American Classic Tea. Complimentary tea is served to visitors throughout the day
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a great time visiting the Charleston Tea Plantation. Very interesting back story as to how the present owner has made a success out of what was a failed business. I was surprised at how much I didn't know about tea until we took the factory tour and the tour of the fields and greenhouse. I would highly recommend the tour as well as the store where you can taste many kinds of cold and hot tea.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

The setting here is just beautiful. In the Tea Shoppe they have several hot & cold teas to taste. We tried them all. They also have many beautiful teapots & cups for purchase. We did not know what to expect and did not allow ourselves enough time to take the tour. We did take the time to sit on the big porch & look at the Grand Oaks. This is truly a unique experience. Don't miss it.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is the home of American Classic Tea - which is 127 acres of tea and a processing plant.
We visited at the end of October and when we took the tour of the factory there were no tea leaves being processed but there is a TV monitor that describes each process as you walk by the machines. The gift shop has samples of hot and cold tea - all very good. Tickets for the trolley ride through the 127 acres cost $10 each, but the short factory tour is free. We enjoyed riding the trolley around the grounds and seeing the new greenhouse that is now being used to propagate new plants from cuttings. The Green Giant is a machine that is one of a kind; it was designed especially for this tea plantation and takes the place of 500 pickers.
There are picnic tables here and good restrooms. It's a lovely drive to the plantation through the low country of Wadmalaw Island which is highly preserved by the inhabitants of the island.

2  Thank 807wheaton
Reviewed October 26, 2012

During our September trip to Charleston my wife and I decided we'd make the short drive out to the Tea Plantation. As a tea drinker from a family of serious tea drinkers - my father was British - I found our visit extremely informative. The trolley ride around the tea fields was really pleasant and relaxing. I'm sure the beautiful weather and the open trolley added to the enjoyment. I'm not sure if the ride would be quite as pleasant during the summers oppressive heat and humidity. The gift shop has a very impressive selection of tea pots for sale. We left with an assortment of the tins of tea, grown and packaged right there. We stopped to see the Angel tree on the drive back.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was not sure if I would enjoy this attraction and was pleasantly surprised. The tour guide was very informative. The information about the tea plant growth and manufacturing was interesting. The plantation was scenic and the petting zoo was a nice surprise. The gift shop was very nice. The side trip to the Angel tree was impressive. The tour guide went out of his way to drive us through the battery section of Charleston and provided us with lots of extra information. Thanks to our guide Dale.