“Interesting little winery”

113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Interesting little winery”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The winery has tasting room for the adults and some farm animals for the kids. Also there is a distillery if you prefer that.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Delightful!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We visited Irvin House Vineyards (and Firefly Distillery) on a cloudy June afternoon. The ride to Wadmalaw Island is about 45 minutes from Charleston, but I find it very enjoyable - the sea islands around Charleston are still largely undeveloped with quite a few gravel and dirt side roads. The winery is very rustic and charming - no paved parking lot. Guests are welcome to wander about the grounds. We opted for the wine tasting - $5 per person for 5 varieties and a souvenir wine glass. We lucked out and were there while the employees were bottling wine. This is only done about 4 weeks out of the year. The video presentation was informative - I enjoyed the entire experience for the friendliness and down home feel of each and every one we met. We both enjoyed the wines and bought a case of an assortment of each kind. The distillery was equally fun - here the tastings were $6 for 6 pours and a souvenir shot glass. Oh, my, the Firefly vodkas and moonshine were tasty! Our "bartender" was also really helpful, friendly and fun. We got a few bottles of Firefly, too. There are a number of special programs offered here; I am hoping to enjoy one of the upcoming events in August. AND...there are a few farm animals here to visit. which we did. We enjoyed our time here - I would recommend visiting Irvin House for a laid back afternoon.

1 Thank Michele C
New Orleans, Louisiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not enough to do.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to the Firefly Distillery and did the tasting there, so we were not up to tasting wine right after. We crossed to the building that houses Irvin Distillery and purchased two sandwiches, which were very good, but there was only one type offered. There was really nothing else to do, but the tastings. There was no tour of the vineyard or where they make the wines. I have been to Sonoma and toured the barrels and where the wines are made. I guess I thought this would be the same.

1 Thank Susan W
Charleston, SC
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Better than you think it is”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

When people mention muscadine grapes, I normally think, 'no.' But, I've got to say Irvin House Vineyards changed my mind. There were some great samples to be had, my favorite being the Tara Gold. My girlfriend preferred the Magnolia. The ladies there were so friendly and Erin helped us with our tasting and gave us all kinds of great information about the place. I would drive back out there again and hope to take part in one of their "Sippin' Saturdays" soon.

Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Not sweet enough for me”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great tasting and educational experience. Super friendly. I'm just a sweet wine person and their sweetest wasn't sweet enough.