“Great Spot”
Review of Hotel Domestique

Hotel Domestique
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Domestique is off to a great start. The building and rooms have a terrific design -- good common spaces, great views, hallway pantries with espresso machines etc, and functional and nicely appointed rooms. The restaurant is quite good. My visit was for a father-son spring break trip, so my teenage son and i were there mainly for the cycling. We decided to use the rental BMCs rather than bring our own bikes, and they turned out to be a treat. Jeremiah showed real dedication in partially neutralizing the aggressive geometry for mine. Some of the routes were quite memorable -- the ride up through the Greenville watershed to the Wildflower Bakery, the ride out to and around Lake Lanier, and the short, steep ascent up Mt Callahan. Some of the roads are scenic and quiet, while others have their share of traffic.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I just returned from 4 days at Hotel Domestique. I am an avid cyclist and she gave me the trip for Christmas. The property and the rooms are outstanding as others have mentioned. The staff in both the hotel and the restaurant were also some of the best that we have encountered and their friendliness really were one of the strong points of our stay. The hotel does still seem to be going through some growing pains and we experienced a few missteps on our stay. The first night we experience a bad wine and an undercooked fish and we were overly impressed with how quick the restaurant staff corrected the issues. Some of the things that gave us a bit of a negative impression were: 1) my wife does not ride and while the web page stated yoga and Pilates, yet no classes were held during our 4 days. 2) I was also frustrated on one of my longer rides when the cue sheets were simply missing turns which were later verified with the staff 3) with the cycling focus of the hotel I was surprised that there were no organized or guided rides on the weekend. 4) Another guest and I had the same frustration when we could not get the ride data on our Garmins since the hotel did not have a data cable. 5) On Sunday pantry items ran out and 6) at dinner Sunday night when staff is low, they could not find the keys to the wine closet, so we were left to drink the wine out of the pantry.

These were all things that can be easily fixed and I really hope the property succeeds, but for rates were were paying I would have expected a bit more attention to detail and a few more planned activities at the resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Steve R
Reviewed March 24, 2014

What a beautiful and relaxing place to spend a few days getting away from the daily grind. Enjoyed challenging but beautiful riding. The hotel provides a perfect place to relax before and after the rides. Jeremiah will provide you with a great bike, advice and maintenance. Caitlin, Daniele and Brianna will look after everything else. Daniele waited up for our very late weather-delayed arrival. Caitlin was there with breakfast every morning. Brianna took time to map out a ride for us. We unfortunately strayed off the course and got lost. Jeremiah was coming to look for us when we were late returning. I have never felt so well taken care of.
Restaurant 17 is also an amazing experience. The wait staff is friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Thomas was great as was Sunny. Sunny had some great suggestions for nightlife in town as well. Of course meeting George Hincapie in the bar and his brother Rich earlier in the day were highlights of the visit. Both offered suggestions on rides and activities in the area. I'll be back - for the riding and the first-class hotel experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank j_harperstx
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We did not stay overnight. Just stopped in to see how new owners transformed it from the ole la bastide.
Beautiful! Impressed with renovations including a pool and restaurant. Many outside sitting areas to enjoy mountain views.
Staff was excellent and helpful with our questions!
GM Ben, front desk gentlemen, and restaurant staff wonderful.
Had a glass of champagne in courtyard. We will be back for lunch or dinner and an overnight stay soon!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank travelwtot
Reviewed March 16, 2014

A week after our stay, and we're still talking about how amazing this place is. The staff could not be more competent or pleasant, and we'd be lying if we said we haven't been bragging for the past week that we got to ride with George. Executive Chef Adam Cooke and his team make memorable meals, and we ate all of our meals at Restaurant 17. The attention to detail in the food was incredible. I'll have to leave Restaurant 17 a review next... Back to the hotel, everything exceeded our expectations - especially the bed which felt great after hours of riding. The location is fantastic, seems strategic, and the amenities and routes accessible to cyclists are unrivaled. We seldom visit the same place twice, but we'll definitely be revisiting Hotel Domestique. One more thing, I travel for a living and this is my fourth review. Our stay was that memorable and noteworthy!

Room Tip: Vineyard View rooms get lots of great light!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katie J
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were looking for a nice place to escape for the weekend and I had heard about Hotel Domestique through the cycling community and decided to give it a try. The service in the hotel and restaurant was on par with any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton ( even better than some )! We really liked the small size and personal attention that you get here. As others have mentioned, the rooms and hotel are furnished exquisitely, as one would except in this price range. The availability of snacks, soda, and bottled water are a nice touch as well. The complimentary breakfast was outstanding, and they made it available to us even though we arrived late!! The bar and restaurant were a nice treat and surprise. We were planning to go to Greenville for dinner, but decided to give 17 Restaurant a try. The bartender was friendly, with great cocktails and a good wine list, served in Reidel stemware. The food was priced accordingly for what you get and the service was outstanding as well. We had the rabbit wrapped in bacon and the veal pasta, something we have never had before, and I can say the chef is a culinary genius. Although there were only 3 couples spending the night at the hotel, the restaurant was full! It's easy to see how quickly the word of mouth has spread about this restaurant! When we checked out for the day, I left my car at the hotel as we left on our bikes to ride through the area on our road bikes for the day. We arrived back at the car 4 hours later and one of the note staff came out to the parking lot and brought us some fresh water and asked about our ride! We've stayed at SEVERAL very nice large as well as small boutique hotels, but none have left such a wonderful memorable impression as our stay at the Hotel Domestique! We will be back, even if it's the 40 minute drive just for dinner......yes, it was that good. The next time we're looking for a getaway a short drive from home, we will be back to the Hotel Domestique for sure. It provides an experience that you just can't get in Greenville or even from the Grove Park Inn or The Inn at the Biltmore Estate.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank XXLNevermiss
Reviewed February 11, 2014

"After a miscommunication with another hotel, my mother and I were out of a place to stay. It was a Clemson football game and Furman football game, so almost every other hotel was booked in the area. We were very stressed out, but someone said Hotel Domestique looked nice. So, my mother and I drove to the hotel praying that they had availability. We drove into the driveway and we were pleasantly surprised; even though it was dark, the outside of Hotel Domestique looked very nice and welcoming. We walked in, and the staff, a man and a woman, were absolutely wonderful! They understood our situation perfectly and welcomed us with open arms. The lobby was inviting with a fire, and it was modern but cozy (reminding us of Santa Fe) furniture with bold colors and massive leather chairs that I could have slept in! Also, there was a quaint library that was simple but elegant. The view outside looked into the hills, and there were vineyards there, too. The staff said they were opening a restaurant in 1 week, so we didn't get to experience that. We went up to our room, and we were shocked. It was HUGE and so pretty. The queen bed frames were made out of wrought iron, and that theme continued. There was our very own fire place that could be turned on/off with a switch. Also, there were two sinks, a large walk-in shower, and a separate room for the toilet. There was also a balcony and an armoire, along with a sitting area and flat-screen. The room was beautiful, and the sheets were so soft and comfortable. Also, down the hall was a complimentary pantry that was stocked with Evian water, champagne, espresso, sparkling cider, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, homemade granola (yum), and nuts. The next morning, there was a complimentary breakfast that consisted of yoghurt, granola, fresh fruit, cinnamon bread, english muffins, apple butter, and poached eggs with mushroom/chive/bacon sauce. It was very good. Hotel Domestique was such a fun surprise, and I am so glad I stumbled upon it. It is French-themed, and simply perfect!!"

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Swamp Rabbit Inn
#2 of 4 in Greenville
3 mi away
Travelers Rest / N Greenville KOA

Been to Hotel Domestique? Share your experiences!