“Positively Different”

Cafe at Williams Hardware
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We offer folks a place to stop in off the Swamp Rabbit Trail, visit with old friends, have a bite to eat, and enjoy an old-fashioned sense of community. The sisters also invite you to browse through the gift shop that features unique food items and other products made right here in South Carolina.
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Now here's a place that's pretty different, in a very positive way, from a typical walk in and sit down restaurant, both in terms of the environment and the culinary offerings. Located right on an old railroad line (now paved over as a walking/biking trail) where presumably old time travelers used to rest, the cafe is kind of like going to a picnic, particularly if you eat out on the screened in porch. The folks who operate the place and nice and friendly, just like family. The food is definitely down home - chicken and biscuits, tuna noodle casserole, meat loaf sandwiches, homemade chicken and tuna salads, homemade soups and plenty more. Not North, not Deep South, not Lowcountry, but somewhere in between, perfect for both Rebs and Yanks alike. Have lunch with an RC Cola or a sweet tea and you'll fit right in. We all enjoyed it thoroughly and plan to be back when we need a rest in our travels.

2  Thank AlPhD

Reviewed May 7, 2012

I prefer eating on the porch when weather permits. Inside can get crowded and loud when the restaurant is busy b/c tables and chairs are very close together.The chicken salad and the soups are good. Love the sweet tea. I usually meet my daughter for lunch and our bill is around $20.. I've seen the prices for dinner, way overpriced for the locale. Although it is convenient to The Swamp Rabbit Trail and Main St, it's still a hardware store.

1  Thank Sandra S B
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Love love love this place! I absolutely love eating out on the porch and having one of my favorite comfort foods. Their daily specials are always worth a try! I love their many quiches, scoops salads (tuna, chicken, or many pasta, fruit or veggie salads), and many sandwiches. The desserts always look amazing and taste that was too if my diet can afford it! You won't regret stopping in here for a bite!

2  Thank Jill G
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Ate there 2x in the last two weeks for lunch. The okra tomato soup is delicious; friend had the chicken salad. The second time I had the sloppy joe which wasn't as great as the soup (and accompanying cornbread) but still good. This is a charming restaurant located in an old store. (There is a gift store with primarily locally made stuff in the front part of the space.) At lunch, there is no waitress service; one orders at the counter and the food is brought to your table. Not sure how it works at dinner time. The meals were tasty and reasonably priced. They have an amazing homemade dessert selection which may be hard to pass up. The Swamp Rabbit Trail runs right behind the restaurant; there was ample overstreet parking when I was there.

1  Thank Noel78
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Husband and I went to hear friend play live music there. We didn't know we needed reservations, so we waited only about 10 minutes for a table. The waiter was very busy so we had ok service. Husband had a beef medallion dish, very slightly overcooked but with a tasty sauce. I had the chicken salad plate with two other salads. Quite a large serving, so very filling. He had a beer, IPA style. Cost was ok for the food. A bit noisy but it's an old hardware store with high ceilings. Overall, a good experience. Live music was fun.