Plantation Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Surfside Beach)
  • Pool
Royal Garden Resort(Garden City Beach)
View Hotel
Garden City Inn(Murrells Inlet)
View Hotel
Waters Edge Resort(Garden City Beach)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoutdoor poollazy riverpartial kitchenactivity centermyrtle beachfree shuttle to the beachbedroom loftthrough rcijetted tubfull kitchenhuntington state parkwasher and dryerweight roomtimeshare presentationbreakfast buffetexercise roomwi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I booked a week at Plantation Resort through RCI before reading the TripAdvisor reviews. Some of those comments were so negative, I was very concerned that I made a mistake. As it turned out, it was not a mistake and the Plantation Resort is highly recommended.

Let me start with the negatives so I can get them out of the way:

1. No linen exchange or house-keeping: You check in, you're handed your room keys and you're on your own in regards to your room. When you're traveling with 4 kids 12 and under this could be a bad thing, but we managed. I like properties where you get one house-keeping visit, but that's not how Plantation does it.

2. No golf-course on the property- Plantation closed its golf course several years ago, and I thought this was a bad sign, a sign that the property was run-down and not taken care of. That was not the case. There's plenty of golf nearby and you do not even notice the former golf-site. They told me they are going to put the golf course back in working order in the next couple of years, but I'm telling you, its a non-factor.

3. Time-share presentation. The time-share presentation was about 90 minutes and relatively low-pressure. However, the coupons that they offer you for participating is not worth the time. Trust me on this one.

4. Wireless internet in the room is not free. But, you can get free internet by the outdoor pool and in the activity center. There is something very positive in surfing the net while your kids are playing in the pool.

OK, that's the negatives and they're not that bad. Now for the positives.

1. The rooms are huge. We had three bedrooms and a fold-out couch and my kids were thrilled with the space. My wife was also happy because the rooms were clean. I was happy because every room (plus the living room) had their own TVs, and two had DVD players attached.

We also had a balcony that overlooked a small pond. It was great to see the geese in the morning, especially when they walked right out to the grass in front of you. A nice respite from urban life.

2. The pools were great. The outdoor pool is across from a very nice lazy river where you can float for hours in peace. There was also a hot-tub and plentiful lounging space.

The indoor pool was large and attached to a nice work-out room. Both were reasonably non-crowded the entire time we were at Plantation Resorts.

3. The location is great. Surfside Beach is quieter than Myrtle Beach and the beach is five minutes from the resort. You are also 5-10 minutes from a ton of activity in Myrtle Beach.

The bottom line is that this is a great resort, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank gabelzer
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Our family of 4 plus two friends stayed for the first time at the Presidental Suites for a week. We really enjoyed being close to the beach and liked Surfside Beach much better than Mrytle Beach. We liked the building we were in but we had a few problems. We were really looking forward to the whirlpool tub but it didn't work all week. We had to flush our toilet by hand all week also. Every night we would listen to what sounded like the toilet bowls filling about every 5 minutes. We didn't want to waste our time by waiting for someone to come fix everything so we ived with it. Overall this place suited us nicley for our needs. We were not there much. We liked the decor and the house keeping staff seemed very nice. We only went to the pool twice and enjoyed it. Many uncontrolled kids in the lazy river. It was a very pretty place and check in and out was a breeze.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank palmtreelover1023
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Our family was given a gift of a week at Plantation Resort through my sister-in-law's timeshare. The resort was poorly maintained and cheaply constructed. The room was small and cramped. The sofa cushions were worn and flat, and the towels were dirty and worn. The building's walls were so thin that we could hear the couple in the next room talking (and they were not yelling or talking loudly). The surroundings were not attractive at all. The buildings were surrounded by parking lots. Also, beware of trading through a timeshare exhange. We expected a two bedroom condo comparable to the one my sister-in-law exchanged, but we got one small room with a kitchenette. Read the small print. All the timeshare exchanges promise is an exchange, so you will not necessarily get something comparable. The cramped room, combined with the thin walls and unattractive surroundings, made us very uncomfortable. We checked out the next morning and moved to a motel.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank DontchaLoveTravel
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Very nice looking complex for the buildings exterior appearance. The place is becoming in need of remodeling of inside tho. The carpets are in need of new, the activities center is nice in its offerings, but carpet is disgusting. Nice to have more than one pool, bad thing about the outdoors was that the deepest is 4 feet. It is nice that they have shuttles to beach and shopping. The grounds out your deck need work!! Either a swampy pond where the geese honk all night long, or the deteriorated golf course...not sure what their plan is but they need to do something...mow it maybe! We were in an RCI exchange and listened to one of their sellers, of course we were shown a beautiful two bedroom and then a three bedroom. It is one that they have redone for showing only, no one ever stays in it. So, it looked totally different than ours. Not one piece was anything like ours. So, they show you one thing, but sell you another -- one that is outdated, very odd and misleading. We were to get coupons for listening to the old gal, well save your time, the coupons were a joke...grab the booklets at the visitor center for better deals. Cleanliness of the place was so..so. I don't know why places can't clean under couches, tables, etc. anymore. So....I hope that this helps. Many pluses, but minuses also. I had read other reviews of bugs, so upon my search, I am happy to say that I didn't see any all week. Beds were comfy, had a lot of space. The hot tub was fine....so would I stay again, sure. Would I buy into this place, no. Things to do....NASCAR, Myrtle Waves, and Midieval times were great, as was the ocean. The RIPLEYS were a rip off, have been to much better for the price. The Tanger Outlets are good, as was the Myrtle Square Mall. There is definitely a lot to do outside of the resort.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank plcsmile
Reviewed July 30, 2007

The first thing my nine year old son said was, "How old is this place?" The furniture is old as is the carpet. Very clean though. The golf course is closed so everyone's back door opens to a weedy, swampy area. My 5 year old daughter did love catching the turtles though. Pools were not clean. We were in the Presidential Villas and it was a disappointment. The pool snack bar was fairly good. Do not want to stay here again though.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family