“Surprisingly Nice -- I'll Be Back!”
Review of Plantation Resort

Plantation Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I exchanged a week (June 2 through 8, 2012) through RCI for a one bedroom condo (unit 202-D2). After reading the reviews at RCI and Trip Advisor, I wasn't sure what to expect . . . and I set my expectations quite low. Perhaps I was lucky, but I was quite impressed with the resort; read on . . .

The one-bedroom condo was nicely furnished and had been recently updated (they missed painting the bottom 2" of the walls). Flat screen TV in the living room with DVD/VDR player and older large screen TV in the bedroom. Large dining room table with seating for eight. The kitchen was fully equipped and very clean as was the rest of the unit. Although I could hear some noisy walkers (must have been wearing Army boots) in the unit above me, I was not disturbed by outside noise and slept very soundly.

Probably the most impressive element was everyone's attitude. Housekeeping staff, bus drivers, maintenance folks -- everyone -- was pleasant and engaging. Everyone smiled and would at least say "good morning" -- most folks would stop for a little conversation. Overall, a very pleasant and welcoming attitude by the entire staff.

Yes, I would return again -- and I would try to get into Unit 200 (just my preference). Please remember that Surfside Beach is NOT like Myrtle Beach. Although the resort works hard to have activities throughout the day, Surside Beach is NOT awash with tourist attractions like Myrtle Beach. For example, if you don't like fried food, then you should plan to shop at the Walmart nearby and cook your own food (or drive 30 minutes to Myrtle Beach or Murrels Inlet where there is a wider selection of restaurants).

Room Tip: I think the rooms in unit 200 would be my choice on a return stay. Unit 200 is at the opposite end...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank Dr_DavidL

Reviewed June 9, 2012

A/c not lower then 70 in all room. Customer service the worst I have see in 12 years . Not close to beach or any atraction ,

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Joshuabethel1125
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My family and I came to this resort before the summer crowds came in and Bike Week was over! 5/28-6/1.... We had a wonderful time and the resorts lazy river and splash zone kept the kids entertained for hours! The rooms are clean with the exception of evidence of bedbugs. It seems that the resort took steps to fight them by covering the mattresses. There were no bites so I think their steps were precautionary. To make sure I quarantined our bags when we got home. Other than that the staff was helpful and got us in a room early! Oh and the $6.99 breakfast was great!! The gym is the most extensive gym that I've seen at a resort. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Carterfamily06
Reviewed June 4, 2012

While this resort is not oceanfront, it was very nice and clean and had lots and lots of amenitites. I would have to say the little fella that checked us in was a little cocky and not very helpful; seemed as if he was rushing us through. The unit we stayed in definitely needs a facelift in the decor area, but it was nice. It's my understanding that they are slowly upgrading the entire resort a little at a time. Seems like the people that are complaining about 1980's decor stayed in a very outdated room. It's very spacious and overlooks a little creek in the back. We never heard any of our neighbors and we caught the tail end of bike week. The mattresses in this unit weren't very comfortable and held heat which made it very hard to sleep if you like a cool room. We were provided with dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, coffee, a kitchen with everything you would need to cook and serve meals. The A/C is a little tricky to use and it won't let you control the temperature, you have to call the front desk for this.

The master suite has a huge jacuzzi tub which is nice, but it's a little hard to get in and out of if you don't have long legs and the showerhead had no pressure whatsover. It was more of a mist and was cold by the time it hit your body.

The pool area was beautiful! They offer daily activities for all ages. All in all this was a great place to stay and we would go back!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a unit that has already been upgraded!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MrsWilky1
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Recent stay at this resort much nicer then expected based on some other reviews. Two bedroom unit very clean and spacious (except for unwashed glass in microwave. An apparent oversite by housekeeping). Grounds and pool lovely. Nice indoor pool and gym. Decor typical "seashore", not elegant. Surfside beach much nicer than Myrtle....only down point for me was distance to beach. Resort does provide shuttle though.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank pia55555
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We go and stay here every year. It is always very clean. We have stayed in all different units and have always been pleased with our accomodations.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank jimandmar
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I love vacation and just happy not to be at work like any normal person, but this place was the worst I've ever stayed at. Stayed at several spots in myrtle beach before and will never come back here. The bedroom spells like someone used it to store old gym socks for weeks, whole room had an odor, everything from the rooms, pool, amenities were dated and not well kept, I would have walked right out if I could have when we first got there. Might be fine if your on a budget or traveling with small children but any teenagers or college kids, stay away please for their well-being. Any place that still uses VHS players for their tvs is not a good sign as a rule of thumb. All in all, happy to been away but if your idea of vacation is the same level as your local motel 6 then feel free to come here!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Paradise Resort
Paradise Resort
#22 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Hampton Inn Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Area

Been to Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!