“Nice location/Poor management”

Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We checked in March23-25th. My mother reserved the room with her travel points she receives from staying at these hotels so frequently with her job. She was told by the staff the week before our arrival that this room would be oceanfront, it was not. I could understand if the hotel was full & there were a lot of paying customers, this was not the case. The weather was cold & rainy, the hotel probably wasn't half full. Also, fifteen minutes after checking into our room our bathroom light stops working. Maintenance man fixes it, within the hour the light will not turn back on. We waited twenty minutes & decided to go to the desk. I told the guy working that we still did not have light & I just wanted a shower after driving 5 hours to get here. He rudely told me that the maintenance man was probably waiting upstairs for me, never offered to switch our room. Bathroom sink had not been properly cleaned. My mother is a platinum member of this hotel & we have always enjoyed staying at them. The manager told her we could get our things & check out if we weren't satisfied. Lack of consideration is the reason she now takes her business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl S
GMHIOceanfront, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Cheryl S...

We are sorry to hear you were unhappy with your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront @ Surfside Beach. It is our mission to upgrade our Priority Club Members whenever possible, unfortunately we were unable to upgrade you to an oceanfront room due to lack of availability during your dates of stay. Your stay was during Easter Week/Spring Break, and all of our oceanfront rooms were already reserved. Reservations using Priority Club points are always booked into our cityview rooms and upgraded when available. We apologize for the issue with the bathroom light; we have addressed this issue with our Maintenance Staff and with the Manager on Duty.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest’s services. We hope you give as a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Stephanie Decatur
Director of Sales 7 Marketing

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Had several problems first at check in and when my wife and I looked for the guest menu in the guest directory in the room there wasn't any. We requested one from the front desk it took an hour before we got one. We ate several meals in there restaurant all which were very good. I think management needs to turn it up a notch and they're ratings would go up.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank kevwalsh
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear kevwalsh,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you liked our convenient location. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife, myself and our Border Collie,Polo, just returned from a terrific 4 day stay at the hotel.
We had a beach side room, 2nd floor, next to the ice machine and you could not have had a quieter room - the only noise was from the waves breaking upon the beach when we opened
the sliding door to our deck.
The room had a new flat screen lcd, wifi, and a pretty good choice of tv channels.
Queen bed that was very comfortable, 4 good pillows, fridg and micro.

Everyone who works there was kind, friendly and attentive to us and the boy.
The area that they are located in,Surfside Beach, is so nice that my wife fell in love with the area and we bought a house while there.

If you want the hustle and bustle of M/B then you can go down the road a few miles, but, if you are like us and wanted a bit of quiet on a beautiful beach...Holiday Inn at Surside, dog or no, is the spot.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and get the ocean side room - it's worth the small extra cost. Hey, you are...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rob and karin m
GMHIOceanfront, Group Sales Administrator at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear rob and karin m,
We really appreciate you taking the time to post a review on our property! I am very glad our hotel, staff and location fit the needs of your family. We are so proud of the outstanding staff we have that truly understand what delivering superior customer service means. I look forward to passing your feedback on to the staff. We hope you will stop by and visit us again, our Shoreline Restaurant and Tiki Bar are open to the public.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We traveled as a team (65 of us) from March 14 - 18. From the starting of planning this trip in November everything ran very smooth. Lauren in Group sales is fantastic. Anything I needed assistance with, questions ect she was very prompt to assist me. Upon arrival the staff was very helpful (checking in 65 young adults at once is never easy) it went smooth and everyone was quickly in their rooms. The staff is amazing! Front desk Cody was fantastic he was very accommodating, anything we had questions on he was honest and did his best to help us out. I didn't get the name of the girl on staff in the evening but she was great as well. Staff was all very friendly from front desk, cleaning staff, security, maintenance ect. Wish it was a bit warmer so we could fully enjoy the beach, pool ect... but we made it work. Hotel and Room are very clean; food at restaurant was very tasty and good service. Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and will be back!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Cari-Ann Y,
Thank you so much for your kind words & for taking the time to write them! We really value your feedback. I look forward to passing them on to our staff. I hope we see your group again on a return visit & thanks again!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We booked the reciption hall for our wedding and a few rooms for the weekend for some of our guest with Leslie at the holiday inn. My wife and i could not be more happy and amazed at how helpful and friendly everyone was! The differnt people working at the front counter were all very nice and always willing to help us with our many requests for the entire weekend. the waiting staff and servers for the resturant and bar were very polite and friendly as well. We even needed some extras from the maid staff and they were very helpful with out ever asking why would we need more towels or pillows. The weather outside was a little chilly but with our family , friends and all the wonderful people at the holiday inn it was warming to the heart! I will be telling anyone who asks that this was by far the best hotel trip we have ever had! thank you Leslie and all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan K

Dear Dan K,
I wanted to say Congratulations on behalf of everyone at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront!
Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you mentioning some of the terrific staff that we have here & will definitely pass your comments along. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our trip to Myrtle might have been clouded by the weather - cold and rainy - but here are some thoughts all the same. Check-in with The legendary CODY was fantastic - realizing that we didn't have an ocean view (due to being booked in by Holiday Inn Club Vacations for a timeshare presentation) I simply asked to be moved - he was quick to accommodate us and ensure that our Priority Member status would help to offset the cost of the move. Cody also offered some suggestions regarding restaurants and general information to orient us to Myrtle - great staff member (best of all the front desk folks we encountered). The breakfast staff at the restaurant are also worth a mention - great personalities and very good service every morning.
Now the hotel itself - it is a bit dated. Cramped quarters - only because we are beginning to be spoiled by the Holiday Inn brand - our hotel room in Salem, Virginia was awesome in comparison to this one. This pool and hot tub were being renovated so that was a disappointment but understandable because we were travelling in the off-season. The beach front was awesome... But cold. What can you do - it was March after all. One of our concerns was the balcony doors - they had a security bar on it that wouldn't stay up - we were locked out on the balcony a couple of times and wondered if we were like the young single lady next door taking pictures of the sunrise in her nighty in the early morning how would we get back in... Luckily our kids came to our rescue. :)
If it wasn't for the fact that the timeshare folks were paying for our room I would have been a little disappointed. Since the timeshare folks were able to convince us to buy - we won't need to worry about this location as an option in the future as we will be staying at the Holiday Inn South Beach Resort next time we are in Myrtle.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank John B

Dear FriarJohn,
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I want to express my apologies for any inconvenience you may have had. I am happy to hear that your experience at checkin was good and you enjoyed our Restaurant. I look forward to passing on your feedback to Cody and our Restaurant Staff.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I initially was not going to choose this hotel due my husband getting the phone slammed in his ear when trying to inquire about rates by a staff person. He did a complaint and the manager immediately apologize for the behavior and gave us a great discount. We arrived around the Dec 30, 2012...The room was very small for a double and had a smaller patio view that what I perceived from the pic on the website. The price of the food was high, although this is off season at a beach, a snicker bar and bottle of waters should not total $7. The room service was great as well as the food. Everything seemed okay until check out..Jan 1, 2013. We got a last minute notice we owed $20 more dollars due to the person checking us in with an error. The manager was not available and we needed to get back home. MY husband had to contact manager again and he gave a $10 refund. With the exception of the manager, I will not be visiting this hotel again due unfriendly and inaccurate staffing. Now that I think about it, with all the hassle and cost of food we were better off renting a luxury condo..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank l j
GMHIOceanfront, Sales Administrator at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear l j,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinions. I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay. I do remember speaking with you in January as well as giving you the refund that you mentioned. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Room Service. I also wanted to let you know we took the comments that you made seriously. The Holiday Inn Surfside is now ranked in the top 175 properties for all Holiday Inns for Customer Service and Satisfaction.
I want to again thank you for your feedback. It has helped us improve our property and the guest experience.
Best Regards,

Hampton Inn Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Area
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island

Been to Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach? Share your experiences!