“VERY PET FRIENDLY, WONDERFUL HOTEL”

Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2012

If traveling with your pet is important or necessary, this is the beach hotel for you. We have traveled there four times in four years and I have always been happy. It is true that the hotel is showing its age (peeved that sliding doors don't slide very well...guess due to years of salt weather air)' but overall, it is clean, friendly, is RIGHT on the ocean, has outdoor pool, Tiki Bar, breakfast buffet, gym, and when you leave a do not disturb sign on the door, the cleaning help is NOT allowed to even knock. I know my pet is safe.
Grandson gets to eat for free, which is nice...plus pool keeps me from worrying about sharks.
We always stay facing the ocean and we love to sit on our balcony.

Room Tip: See if there are any promotions like extra food coupons, and ask for any discount you can think of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SaucyMoffit
GMHIOceanfront, Sales Administrator at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear recent guest,
We appreciate you being such a loyal customer. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned we do love pets! We keep dog treats at the Front Desk for our furry guests. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the sliding door. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

All I have to say is the rooms are very SMALL. The bathroom is tiny and it is wayyyyyy over priced for what you get. The elevator smells like someone farted and mold because it stays wet from people coming from the pool. The safe was broken, the faucet dropped water all night, and the humidifier didn't work and the filter was filthy that was part of reason we got the room because our daughter has asthma. I notified the front desk no one communicated to me anything that it was fixed or not. This is by far the worst stay I have had at any hotel. Now the house keeping is very nice and they speak and ask if your room needs service when they see you. At the end of my stay I did speak to the manager Andy and let him know that my concerns that I spoke with the front desk about was not taken care of or it was not communicated to me that it was taken care of. He gave me a discount on my room for each night which gave me about $80.00 back big whoop. If I where the manager I would have comped the room on customer satisfaction to keep from someone writing a review like I'm writing. Ryan that worked at the front desk was very nice I mentioned to him that the airport lost my luggage and he went and found me all the toiletries he could and gave to me. The only good part was the balcony were you can see straight up to ocean but it needs to be repainted it is not at all nice on the outside of the balcony. The hotel really needs some serious updating and the rooms are just to small. Front desk staff is good however maintenance failed to communicate to me what they can and can't fix in my room. The room also felt dirty to me I didn't want to walk on the floor there was trash under the bed and the shower head was held up by thick caulking and that was failing and it was hanging.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Boss L

Dear recent Guest,
Thank you for choosing us, I am sorry you did not have a good experience with us.
Your feedback is invaluable and we have utilized it as a topic to help our efforts in attention to detail. I was disappointed that we failed to communicate to you our improvements and ensure it was to your satisfaction.
We hope you give us another opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Paid $195 for a one night stay. Room was very nice other than NO AIR CONDITIONING on a 101 degree day!! Had to call front desk 3 times before anyone came up! When he finally came up, we were given 2 fans!! Really?? And at ck out, when I told the rude little girl about our horrible night, she said, "oh, that must have been uncomfortable, but I see you made it ok." WHAT??? Great hospitality.........NOT!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Justbeachie1

Dear recent guest,

I am sorry to read about your experience with our air conditioning unit and the response from our sales team member.
Please feel free to contact me at (843) 238-5601 to further discuss your visit and make things right.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I couldn't say for the rest of the rooms, but my double bed, ocean view on 6th floor,awesome:-) excellent service from staff, nice and polite
Not a lot of smiling faces from housekeeping, oh well..access to tiki bar and restaurant the best!!! And food price, reasonable, kids coupon at front desk, they eat FREE!! Just ask for it in the front desk, BECAUSE it's not offerred during check in hmmmn.Could have a better discount the first night.

• Stayed: July 2012
GMHIOceanfront, Sales Administrator at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear you had a great stay and experience with all of our staff. As you mentioned Children 12 and under eat free off the Kids Menu. We hope to see you again soon! Think about seeing us in the off season when the rates are lower and the weather is still beautiful!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed at this location from June 23rd - June 26th. Average nightly room rates were $214 per night (all taxes and fee included). Room was very small and bathroom was tiny. One electrical outlet in room had devices plugged into it and some plugs were not grounded since the wall extension used did not allow grounded plugs (see photo). Last two night could not sleep because people were shooting fireworks until midnight. Called front desk who said there was nothting they could do but agreed to call police who never responded. Jacuzzi was always occupied by young unsupervised children whose parents were either in pool or at tiki bar. Jacuzzi floor was filled with sand as well as some parts of pool. Would NEVER stay at this location for these types of prices.

5  Thank Ruben H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear Ruben H,

We appreciate your detailed review regarding our property. Thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regrettable you were not satisfied with the room accommodations, amenities and service you received. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our services and facilities.

While I understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory as it should have been, I do hope you can stay with us again so we can show you how truly great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed in this hotel from June 20th - 23rd. I chose this place because it wasn't on the main drag and would be more quiet, yet still close to everything. Checked in with the friendly staff and scoped out the room which was a basic oceanfront king. It was next to the vending/laundry area which we thought may be loud, but once inside the room we couldn't really hear much that would have disturbed us. My girlfriend is very particular about hotel rooms so she conducted her thorough inspection and found no faults. The room had a dehumidifier, refrigerator and a safe. The view from the balcony was wonderful, however we were disappointed to find that the balconies were not completely closed off from one another, which is a safety and privacy issue. We were heading out and tried to lock the balcony door, but the latch wouldn't lock. We struggled with it for a view minutes, then just decided to leave it. The balcony door did have a locking bar to keep the door from being slid open, so we felt this combined with the safe mitigated the potential for theft. At one point on another day, the safe wouldn't open, so we called to have someone sent up to fix it. The repairman quickly arrived and was very courteous. He fixed it quickly and we were on our way. We spent most of our time exploring myrtle beach, so we did not try the pool, fitness center or restaurant (other than ordering late room service one night). They were doing some parking lot improvement, so we did have to move our vehicle a couple of times, but no big deal. The beach directly in front of the hotel was great. We rented two chairs with a large umbrella from the lifeguard for $30 for the day. All in all, it was a very nice stay and I would highly recommend this place to anyone, but especially couples wanting a more peaceful location than the busy strip. I will probably stay here again on my next visit

Room Tip: Pick an oceanfront higher floor away from the vending/laundry area.
2  Thank Hotels2ndhome
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.
I do apologize for the safe issue, but I am happy to hear it was resolved in a timely manner. As you mentioned we are in a quiet residential area and just a short drive to the main attractions in Myrtle Beach. I hope to see you guys back again! I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel is 6 floors and was soldout the weeknd we were there. They have 2 elevators but only one was working leaving housekeeping staff and guests all waiting for one elevator. We used ths stairs even though we were on the sixth floor but you couldn't access the lobby or other facilities from the stairs, only went to the parking lot.
The bathroom sink faucet leaked and the drain was slow.
Their was also a wedding reception there one evening during are stay, when we returned from dinner there was no place to park.
Though this was a mini-vacation weekend, I stay at a lot of Holiday Inns on business and this location is not up to the standards I usually expect from the brand.

Room Tip: The so-called city view rooms just overlook the parking lot, spend a little extra and get the ocean...
2  Thank Jim M

Dear recent guest,
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Oceanfront and your loyalty to the Holiday Inn brand. I am sorry to read that you did not have a memorable visit with us. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you further about your visit.
Please feel free to contact me at (843) 238-5601.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 5 in Surfside Beach
Hampton Inn Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach Area

Been to Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach? Share your experiences!