“Just Average”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Columbia, South Carolina
“Just Average”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I normally don't write reviews. But after just leaving the Surfside Beach "Resort" and sitting in this traffic on my way home, what else do I have to do?

My fiance, some friends, and I are on our way home from about a week stay. We have been staying in Surfside on vacation for the last few years because it's right in the middle of Myrtle Beach and Murrells Inlet.

First of all, this really isn't a resort. It is a pretty nice hotel though. The front desk is very nice. Our room was clean, the bathroom was clean, there was a TV, a little fridge, nice working AC and comfy beds. It was nicer than your average Inn. Our room had an ocean view with a balcony which overlooked the pool and parking lot and we could see Scotty's Beach Bar across the street that is owned by the hotel. Scotty's Beach Bar is a great little bar and we made sure to make a visit there every day. I will get into that one later...

I'm disappointed with the pool. It's obvious that they need to get a bigger, better pool but it looks like they hotel chooses to ignore that. I understand that the beach is literally right there, but come on.. I enjoy a few hours by the pool. On the bright side, it was clean.

I don't own or manage a hotel. But I do own and manage my own bar where I am from. My friends and fiance and I take the time to visit Scotty's Beach Bar every time we are in town. It's a beautiful bar with an amazing view! An even better view than what you get in your hotel room. We found the bar staff to be friendly and hardworking. Jeff was there most of the time we visited. Jeff was very polite, friendly, attentive, professional and as a bar owner myself, it was obvious that he knew what he was doing. We also met Mike who was the bartender in the evenings. Mike was professional and attentive and kind. This bar is very lucky to have the both of them.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the beach. The hotel was nice enough to sleep in since that's really all we did in the hotel. We enjoyed Surfside Beach and Scotty's Beach Bar. I know that i'll recommend the "resort" due to it's location. But I can't say the same for the other people who were with me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel located in the "resort" town of Surfside Beach. Positioned in the center of Surfside Beach, our guests have easy access to not only the hotel amenities but also to all that the town has to offer. The beach, pier, shops, restaurants, entertainment, special events and more, including Scotty's Beach Bar, are just steps away. Our associates take pride in providing friendly, professional service and a clean, well maintained hotel and bar. We look forward to hosting your next Surfside Beach abd Scotty's visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed 4 days in this hotel, this is my opinion hopefully it will help you make a good choice and decide if you want to stay:
Pros:
1. Walk steps to the beach
2. Reasonable price
3. Side view of the beach
4. Access from the parking lot to the beach (just done finishing the construction and it is very convenient )
5. Shower by the access to the beach to clean the sand from your body once done swimming
6. Small pool for kids
7. Plenty of parking
8. Quite hotel during our stay
9. Across the street there are couple of restaurant and Eagle souvenir store.
10. Close and next to the Pier ( $1 admission fee and great walk at night, free for kids)
11. There are too side views from the rooms: A. One side has a Pier view and you can enjoy the sun raise, in my opinion it's a great choice. B. side view of the beach and overlooking the small pool and the Brach Bar where they have Karaoke at night, you will also benefit from a sunny balcony during the whole day if you want to have some tan however you will not be able to enjoy the sunrise from your room balcony.
12. They can check you in early if there is an available room, if not you will have access to the pool and get the parking pass, then they call you once your room is ready.
13. Computer with Internet connection and printer to print boarding passes.
14. Fresh Coffee in the lobby throughout the day and night.
15. You can ask housekeeping service for more towels and shampoo if needed not an issue.
16. Vending machines for soft drinks and there is an ice machine.

Cons:
1. Carpet was felty, need shampooing, be careful your feet may get dirty try to keep your slippers on.
2. Room was very small although I didn't mind it much.
3. No cafeteria
4. Small pool

Overall it was a great stay during 8/20-8/24, nice Beach not too crowded as Myrtle Beach, nice area around the hotel, no traffic, a lot of houses in the area which make it feel a family beach, I would recommend this hotel and the area.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Melmehdi
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We want to thank you for staying with us and for your review. It is the comments of valued guests like you that help us to continue to improve our product and service. You have certainly put out a good description of the hotel and location. Carpet is being cleaned as we speak, or write as the case may be, as it has slowed enough between the busy summer season and before our "Secret season" of late summer and fall. Thanks again and come see us.
Monroeton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went to Surfside Beach for a two week vacation. When we arrived at our condo, we found it flooded and not able to stay in it. At the front desk at the Surfside Beach Resort, we found Bill Miller to be as helpful & friendly as anyone you would want to help you out of a bad situation. I explained our situation and got a very clean room with a balcony for a great ocean view. Had to spend a lot of time with our condo management & insurance company, but enjoyed the time we had at the beach. Wanted to thank Bill, & the rest of the staff, for doing their best to give their visitors a great place to stay. I'd recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a nice place to stay in the Myrtle Beach area. Steve Napp

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad we were able to help you and you family and be a part of making the your vacation more enjoyable. Our associates strive to meet the needs our guests needs in a friendly and helpful manner. Thanks for your comments and patronage.
Georgia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a great choice for families, couples and groups. We own a Travel Agency and I even advertised it for Honeymoons at a show this past weekend!

Phil the new manager & Kaci at the front desk took care of everything for us.

For location, you can’t beat it.

4 Restaurants “Breakfast – Lunch & Seafood Dinners”
Beach Bar “The Best”
3 Souvenir Shops
Ice Cream Parlor
The Main Pier

All right there – Also, the best part of the Beach. Always remember if you’re a beach person “The more people in a hotel the more slammed on the beach” So when we walked towards Garden City and got to some of the bigger hotels, you could not get a spot on the beach. This hotel has the perfect amount of people for the beach in front.

We were there for 3 days and only got in the truck 2 times and that was to go play putt putt, which was 1.3 miles away.
Murrells Inlet “Restaurant Row “is about 5 miles away

Highly recommendations:
Request a pier side room
Breakfast on the pier
Beach Out Front for sun “Don’t forget to set the AC on 60 Deg. Before you leave – LOL”
If you’re a pool person or Family get out there early to get a spot
Lunch any of the 4 places
The Beach Bar in the afternoons “Check the specials in the Elevators”
Don’t Miss Crabby Mike's Seafood Buffet!!!!!
Rent a Golf Cart and ride between Surfside and Garden City’s Pier

I think the town purchased the public area around this resort and have made a huge difference in the pier area.

We really had a great time; EVERYTHING in life is what you make it. Have fun in any situation you find yourself in.

Hope this helps, call us if you have any more questions. 770-412-0419

Room Tip: Any room Pier Side
1 Thank SatelliteTravel
Thank you for both your recent visit and comments. We are so pleased that the hotel, staff and area met the vacation needs of a season traveler like you. We look forward to your nest visit.
stanley
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this hotel twice now and both times have been great. I care about 3 things when I look for a hotel. 1- the bed, which was great, very comfortable! 2- how clean the place is, this hotel could not have been cleaner and 3- the staff, I know people are "working" at hotels but when you work with the public you should know how to treat customers and all the staff here were super nice. Bill and Ashley both were wonderful to speak with and were always in a cheerful mood! We already have plans to stay here again next summer.

Room Tip: just remember, Kings do not have a balcony, I didnt think I would miss that this time, but I did.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments, it is so rewarding to know that we have helped make your Surfside Beach vacation more enjoyable. Our associates take pride in providing a friendly and professional family atmosphere along with a clean, well maintained property. Next time, call us directly for your King room with a balcony, as we do have them. We look forward to hosting your next visit.
Kentucky
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a great place to stay with a family. This hotel has great customer service and is very clean. Conveniently located at Surfside Beach. The hotel was about $188 for a king size room with ocean view but they give a fabulous 35% military discount! That's great and thank you! There are 4 or 5 restaurants right next to or across from the resort. Pool, hot tub and it's right next to the pier. There is a nice and good priced gift shop across the street. Free on site parking. Very small deck with 2 chairs but just enough to be able to sit out and people watch. I would recommend for a family!

Room Tip: I was on the 8th flloor good view when you are high up!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff appreciates hearing that they met your customer service and cleanliness expectations. The area certainly offers nearly everything a guest might need within walking distance as well as being just minutes away from all that Myrtle Beach has to offer without the crowds and congestion.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My teen daughter and I recently stayed here for the third year in a row. We love being next to the ocean, watching the pier activity and fireworks from our balcony, and eating across the street at Bubba's Fish Shack (fried fish and mixed drinks in plastic cups!!) No, it's not the Ritz. It's a beach hotel, people. There is moisture in the air when you open the door, and sand in the elevator when the kids come in off the beach (although on this trip, I kept wondering how they kept a place right on the beach so sand-free and clean.) I have been to some really nice big-city hotels, and some really terrible beach motels, and this is why I give the Surfside an Excellent rating -- it's awesome for what it is. Be sure to call to make reservations (as opposed to making them online) because if you're staying during the week or off-peak you can usually request where you want your room to be located. The staff could make recommendations based on whether you want to hear beach bar music or don't want to hear it, for example. The staff could not be nicer or more acommodating in any way. We like to drag the table next to the open balcony door, turn off the A/C and play cards. You can watch everybody walking to the pier. If you're looking for somewhere to relax for a few days right next to the ocean, this is it. If you need a hotel with expensive drinks in a tiki bar and room service, try Destin, Florida.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RCulb
Phil V, General Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We want to thank you for your recent visit (3rd year in a row) and your review of the hotel. We are so glad to be able to fill you and your daughter vacation needs. We look forward to hosting your next Surfside Beach visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
#3 of 5 in Surfside Beach
Garden City Inn
Garden City Inn
#4 of 6 in Murrells Inlet

Been to Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!