“Good Location”

Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was our first stay at Surfside Beach Resort. We purchased a Groupon so got a great rate the weekend after Labor Day. We prefer the less crowded time and area just outside of Myrtle Beach. We stayed in a corner room on the 6th Floor closest to the beach. There was a great view of the pier and the beach and ocean. Although the room was small, it was comfortable for the four of us, me, husband, nine year old and two year old. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. We will return to Surfside Beach Resort during the off-season.

Room Tip: higher rooms on corners facing the pier have best ocean view and sounds we had room 601 - perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for staying with us here in Surfside Beach, South Carolina. The Surfside Beach Resort is a great get away spot for a weekend or a week. We hope you will spread the word and let everyone know we are here to make their next excursion something extra special. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed September 11, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for 20 years. The location is the best and you have restaurants within walking distance. But this year we had problems. The carpet was so nasty that it left our feet black. I went downstairs to talk to the GM but he was busy. He did call and leave me a voice mail message later but there are not any instructions on the phone telling you how to get your messages. So I went downstairs and I talked to the night manager about cleaning the carpet but he said that they were to busy and they only steam clean carpets in the fall. We had to wait one day 7 hours for clean towels because they had run out early in the day. The bottom of the bathtub looks bad. Needs a really good cleaning. Also the second maid we had only made up the beds. She did not vacuum the carpet because little pieces of paper were still on it after she left. Also there was a pile of sand in the bathroom floor that I pushed in front of the tub thinking she would sweep it up. No, it was still there when we came back.
Now we do not know if we want to stay here again. If you have several kids you should get the extended room. There is a lot of room to move around in that room but you do only get a window and no balcony. Also the night manager could use some training because he had a smirk on his face the whole time he was talking to me.

Room Tip: If you have several kids get the extended room. For the best ocean view get a room with 03, 05 or 0...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments about your stay with us. We will be passing them on to our employees to make sure they do a better job with their customer service. Our goal is to make every stay the very best possible. We are never satisfied with reviews that are less than positive. We use your experiences to better our skills and we are glad you shared with us. We hope you will decide to give us another try to give us the opportunity to show how we have improved since your last visit.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My mom and I enjoyed a great trip to Surfside Beach and found this hotel suited our needs perfectly. We don't like spending tons of money on a hotel that we're only going to sleep in, plus we like to be away from the traffic and crowds of Myrtle Beach. Surfside Beach Resort was wonderful. They had updated the decor and it was very comfortable. It's in a quieter location without any hotels within a mile or more and there were several restaurants just across the street. Great location if you want to get away from the crowds! There is a beach bar just next door that offers great entertainment and stays open late. However, the noise was never an issue after about 9 or 10 at night - you could barely hear anything coming from inside. The pool area was great with plenty of lounge chairs and a great hot tub.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, rooms on the south side do not get the morning sun straight in the sliding...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

It's nice to hear that you had such a good experience with us here at the Surfside Beach Resort. Life is a little slower here and we plan on keeping it that way. We have the perfect combination of uncrowded beaches, great restaurants, shopping and just relaxing in the sun or having a cool drink on the deck at Scotty's Beach Bar. We hope you will come back to see us again so we can treat you to some more southern hospitality.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Our experience was better than expected! The room was clean and updated, the staff was professional and polite, we had a great view and the beds were very comfortable.

Upon arrival our room was pre-assigned on the south side of the building. With the sun setting on that side I asked for a room on the north side and was switched to a 4th floor room, away from the elevator and also close to the ocean. We had a nice view of the beach, pier and sunrise and our room stayed cool in the afternoon/evenings. I have no complaints about the a/c noise or heat on the balcony. It was very quiet.

Prior to our trip I emailed the hotel via their website with room requests based on reading some of the reviews here but did not get a reply. Upon mentioning this to the front desk at check in I simply got an apology. I don't know what happened to my email and they didn't ask what my concerns were.

The hotel has adequate parking some of which is covered. There were plenty of carts for bags but no valet. I would assume someone from the desk would assist if asked.

There are 2 elevators and we waited maybe 3 minutes tops on a holiday weekend when the hotel was booked solid.

We didn't use the pool but it seemed adequate. I don't use hotel hot tubs so I can't comment other than to say I never saw anyone in it. The weather was probably too hot.

Housekeeping was extremely polite. We kept the DND sign on the door and only exchanged towels, emptied trash and re-stocked coffee during our stay. Upon seeing me go in the room on our 3rd day housekeeping said they understood we had the DND sign but wanted to make sure we had everything we needed. The coffee pot failed one morning and a new one still in the box was brought up immediately.

There are chairs with umbrellas set up in front of the hotel. They are managed by the lifeguard and can be had for a fee. We brought our own chairs and beach towels. Plenty of room under the pier if you want to set up in the shade.

The Beach Bar is next door, across the parking lot. The live music outside on the very small deck is so loud you can hear it on the beach. Another reason to get a room on the opposite side of the hotel.

The beach is very clean and people are friendly in Surfside. I would stay there again and ask for maybe a 5th floor room, north side closest to the beach. I would also recommend this hotel to friends. I would not call it a resort.

You can buy beer on either side of the hotel from either the bar or store at the pier. Also at the pier is a restaurant. We ate there once, got breakfast sandwiches to go for $5 each. Bubba's seafood restaurant is across the street. The menu is mostly fried food. Their fried oysters are perfect. They will broil many of the other items.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side stay cooler in the summer. They are also quieter since the pool and bar are on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DharmaMtn

We are pleased that you took the time to leave your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry we did not respond to the email you sent to the front desk. We check those every morning and send responses as soon as we read them. I'm not sure how we missed yours but I will make sure everyone is checking and responding as they should. We hope to see you again soon and that you will bring your friends along to enjoy the many things Surfside Beach has to offer.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from 4 days at Surfside Beach Resort and had a great time! Our main objective was a nice, clean, convenient place, not terribly crowded, and a close beach area. We found it all at Surfside. The beautiful and CLEAN beach is a few yards from the hotel, there are good restaurants within walking distance, and stores within a few minutes drive time if you need supplies. Our only regret was there is not a breakfast offered at the hotel, but all the other niceties more than made up for that. The balcony is small but worked out fine for us, especially at night sitting outside watching the fireworks along the Myrtle Beach and Surfside beaches and listening to the waves! All of the staff was helpful and friendly. We intend to recommend this hotel to others. If you are looking for fancy, keep driving, but for cleanliness, comfort, convenience and reasonable prices, stop at Surfside Beach.

A side note: We did wonder why there is a charge to walk on the pier adjacent to the hotel, but the hotel is not responsible for that, we understand.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

We are happy you found us and chose us for your recent stay. Surfside Beach is a jewel of a place to visit when traveling to the Grand Strand of South Carolina. It is known as the "Family Beach" and the Surfside Beach Resort fits right into that description. We love to see the kids come running through our doors with such excitement and anticipation on their faces and we do everything we can to make sure the whole family feels that excitement as well. While we are located right next to the pier we have no affiliation with it. It is owned by the town of Surfside Beach. We are surrounded by restaurants and shopping and our private beach access is just steps from your room. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Yes, the room was small, traveling with my husband, 1 teenager and 1 preteen. I, however, went to the beach to be at the beach, so who cares if the room is a little small. Yes, we had luggage and totes with food, but it was not unbearable. All the staff were super nice to us. You could smell the "clean" when you walked into the lobby. Our room was very clean, and the beds slept superb! The pool was very small, however, if people wouldn't put beach towels over all the chairs, then leave the pool area, more people would have an opportunity to enjoy the pool area more. WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN!

1  Thank sisterstone

Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay with us here at the Surfside Beach Resort. While we are not a large property we work hard to provide clean rooms, great service, big smiles and friendly conversation to our guests. We hope you will come back to stay again very soon. We'll be waiting with more good times.

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband booked Surfside motel without my having checked into it. First, I find it curious that there are no room photos on their website (there are some guest ones here that are fairly accurate). The rooms are (mostly) updated. Our bathroom was not, but still was clean. The sink is outside of the main bath. The biggest thing that I wish to emphasize with this review is how TINY the rooms are. I've stayed in NYC hotels that seem spacious compared to Surfside. There are two full size beds, a small table, a small desk and an enormous "cabinet" for the microwave / fridge / TV. There isn't much room to move in between. The balcony is side view ocean front and VERY tiny. It kinda made me dizzy. If you arent a smoker - be prepared for all the smokers on their balaconies. We immediately realized that the room was far too small for our needs. A couple, a teen and a 7 year old. We'd have been on top of each other our entire stay (which would have caused fights). SMALL and NOT anything close to a resort. My husband went and talked with Bill who said when he saw us come in he thought "That's going to be tight." wish he would have said that to us. Thankfully, the customer service was great. They let us stay the night at no charge to give us time to find a larger place. He also gave us some names of places he thought would better suit our needs. We did stay that night and I have to add a few comments about that night. Our bathtub wouldn't drain the entire time. The location is fantastic. Right next to the pier, dining, and of course the beach. The pool was far too crowded to consider using. I also recommend you ask for a different room if you are assigned any of the rooms in the 22 range. We were 822 and the noise from the elevators was AWFUL (another review said 622 was the same). It was like riding a roller coaster all evening. All in all Surfside is a cute older hotel, but know what you are getting. Its pricey for what it is (we ended up finding a one bed full kitchen condo with a straight on ocean view for considerably less then Surfside would have been for a week). I'd say Surfside is rated the #1 hotel for the reason that there arent many hotels in Surfside. It'd be nice for a couple, or perhaps a couple with one small child. But that's about it and there is far nicer available for your money. I do appreciate the customer service that's so rare to find when dissatisfied anymore.

• Stayed: August 2012
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We am sorry we were not able to meet your needs during your recent stay. I would like to point out that photos of our rooms are available on our website. You simply click on the "Accommodations" tab in the toolbar across the top of the homepage and all of our rooms appear with recent photos of each room type. Our front desk / reservations staff is available 24 hours a day here on property and we are always glad to answer any questions you might have concerning our rooms and amenities. We always recommend that you call the property directly when making reservations to avoid any surprises upon arrival.

Since our renovation our rooms are a little more crowded than they were originally since the "double beds" were replaced with queen sized bedding. This makes the space a little tighter with the wider and longer mattresses that most guests appreciate these days. Although the space is a little smaller, we receive far more compliments on the nice bedding than we do about the limited space.

All things considered, the Surfside Beach Resort delivers a great accommodation value. We are located next to the Surfside Pier and within walking distance of some great seafood houses, sandwich shops, breakfast places and beautiful scenic dining right on the Surfside Pier and even though there are limited hotels in Surfside Beach, we are still #1.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 5 in Surfside Beach

Been to Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!