“Great location in Surfside...”

Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Great location in Surfside...”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This hotel is located in a nice location in Surfside beach just south of Myrtle Beach. This our 7th years staying at this hotel. Since our last stay they renovated the hotel. Although, the renovation is an improvement I am not sure why they keep the same old furniture. The two chairs in my room were shaky and ready to fall apart. The hotel staff was very helpful and nice. I am not sure why they put the word "resort" in the new name of this hotel. It is far from earning the label resort. My family did enjoy the Beach and Pool at this hotel.

Suggestions for improvement..

(1) The elevators are extremely slow. If you complain you will get the response that they are slow because it is the busy season. However, I spent a week at "The Cove on Ormondo Beach" and those elevators were extremely fast even with a full hotel.
(2) Replace the old furniture.

I really hope they don't try to increase their prices since they now have "resort" in the hotel name. If the do I will be forced to rent a condo in the area since the price will be the same.

I would stay at this hotel again with my family. It is clean, the staff is friendly, and the location is great for a beach vacation.

1 Thank mkurley
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are constantly seeking improvement with our service and in our facility as well. As you mentioned we have remodeled the units here at the Surfside Beach Resort. We still have improvements to make and over the coming months we will be making many more of them, We have replaced the furniture in some of the units and will continue to do so in our other units. We also hope to make improvements to our elevators in the near future so that we can improve their operation as well as their speed.

We look forward to having you return for an 8th year and I am sure you will continue to see new improvements each time you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Pinewood,SC
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Once again, I had the time of my life at Surfside! I booked in advance from BILL at Surfside. When I got to the hotel, I finally met Bill and we just laughed! I love Betty from housekeeping also! My birthday was July 30 and I saw sharks on from the pier.....right before I went parasailing!!! Love SURFSIDE BEACH RESORT and I tell everyone where I stay at the beach! I have been coming ONLY here for about 8 yrs now... ALWAYS stay on the 7th floor with the balcony view to see the sunrise! The staff is always helpful and so very humorous!!! I LOVED MY VISIT THIS YEAR THE BEST OF ALL 8 YEARS! THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank LindaPinewood_SC
SBRManager, Public Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the Surfside Beach Resort. We know you have many options to choose from along the Grand Strand. It is great to hear that you had such a good time and the staff thanks you for your words of praise for them. They work very hard to make every stay as pleasurable as possible. We look forward to your next visit and we hope you will continue to tell all of your friends about our great little place in the sun!
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2011

After 5 years I finally made it back to Surfside. I was very disappointed in the so called renovations the ads say recently renovated but indeed renovations were going on during our stay, wet paint and workers everywhere... The hotel is very loud all the time, my "special gift" for booking a package was a dollar store sand toy kit... I must mention, the youngest child in my group was 18. The special gift should be age appropriate or don't advertise a gift. The elevators were horribly slow and really only one available for guests. The second elevator is utilized during the day by a back door for the staff. The newly remodeled rooms were smelly and the bedding was very uncomfortable. It took 4 phone calls and over an hour to FINALLY get an iron and an ironing board which had to be located. Then, as I was leaving and checking out the family next to me informed me that the desk clerks told them about a coupon that they rushed to get and used in order to get their room 100.00 a night cheaper than what I paid. Why wasn't I told about the coupon upon check in as well?????

5 Thank Lisa H
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your recent stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. We reopened the resort in mid May and we have been working on punch list items throughout the summer, as is done with any construction project, to make sure everything is just right throughout the facility. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have several packages available to our guests as well as several coupon specials. The package you chose was a value added package and coupons can not be used to discount them when booking. We will certainly consider offering "age appropriate" gifts in the future as you are right, not everyone that books our "Beachcomber" package wants to play in the sand on the beach. We appreciate your comments and we will use them to improve our services to our guests.
Odessa, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Needed a place to stay near Coastal Carolina University for my daughter's orientation. Decided to stay at the beach as Myrtle Beach is just 10 miles from the school. Being a lifelong resident of Florida, I've never had the need to go to the beaches of South Carolina.
After a bit of research, I found that Surfside Beach is south of Myrtle and certainly low key in comparison, which I prefer. Booked the hotel online and when I checked in I was greeted with wonderful southern hospitality. The room was clean and the furnishings were nice. The pool area is well maintained and the lounge chairs were very comfortable. Other than the elevators being a bit slow, our stay was enjoyable and we will stay again.

1 Thank awhs
We are happy you chose the Surfside Beach Resort for your recent stay at the beach. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you visit your daughter at Coastal Carolina. Our staff will be here to serve you with smiling faces and southern graces.
elkcorn,ky
Reviewed July 19, 2011

loved the view from the hotel...it was clean and the staff was great...had no problem with anything....and the best part about was you could walk straight to the beach from the parking garage....Loved it....If i ever go back i would reserve the same hotel resor!!!!

1 Thank oceanfront28
Thank you for the nice comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. Please tell all of your friends about us and plan another visit with us very soon.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was my first stay this year at the hotel after the renovations. My husband and I have stayed many times in the past. I was very dissappointed with my stay. First our reservations had been cancelled. We then had to take a room with queen beds. The restaurant is now closed. That was one of the amenities that I enjoyed was the room service. There is not even a contienental breakfast offered. For the price you could stay at the Holiday Inn and have a free breakfast. I expected the rooms to look much better than they did. We had 1 out of 4 lights that worked in room. I found the bedding to be very cheap and rough. I don't think that I will be staying at this "Resort" again. It is not worth the money that it cost.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NativeofSC
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay at the Surfside Beach Resort. I am also disappointed that you did not find us up to your standard. The property reopened in May after several months of construction and we have almost completed the project. Our restaurant is being renovated and is scheduled to open in the spring. We all miss the restaurant and are really looking forward to it's reopening. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff about the lights you found not working in your room and they are stepping up their efforts to make sure that all of the bulbs in the rooms are working properly before they leave the room. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our bedding is brand new and is top of the line by a major bedding manufacturer. I have had no complaints about the quality of sleep our guests have been receiving. I hope you received a good night's sleep as well. We are working every day to improve our facility and the service to our guests. Your comments help us to improve our service and we appreciate them very much. You are a valued guest and we look forward to having you back again soon.
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Do not stay in room 818. It is very loud from mechanical equipment operating the slow elevators. It is next to the beach but you might as well pitch a tent and camp out on the beach.

• Stayed July 2011
SBRManager, Guest Relations Manager at Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Surfside Beach Resort for your recent visit to the Grand Strand area. We are located right on the beach and we have just recently reopened the resort with newly renovated rooms and common areas. We are very proud of the new surroundings and we are working very hard to maintain the property to assure the new look will last for years to come. I am sorry the room had a noise problem because it was located in the center of the building near the elevator mechanical room. Had I known you were being disturbed I would have been glad to try to move you to a room that would not have had the noise issue. We are always here to serve our guests and to help make their stay enjoyable . I hope you will stay with us again very soon and please don't hesitate to ask us for assistance if you have any problems with your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 5 in Surfside Beach
Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites

Been to Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!