“Watch out for bedbugs”
Review of Econo Lodge Sumter

Econo Lodge Sumter
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The pool is never open. They say that they just put chemicals in it and it has to sit for a while before anyone goes in, but an employee told me that it hasn't been open for months. Watch out for shady characters. Definitely don't bring kids here./

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. RUN!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Keys S, Manager at Econo Lodge Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

At the time of your stay, we had just purchased the hotel and were just getting started on the improvements. The pool had been closed for 3 summers and we were trying desperately to get it operational. We are so sorry for your inconvenience, and if you ever are in the Sumter area again, please give us a try. I will be available to you by phone and will be happy to take care of your accommodations personally.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Sumter

Reviewed June 8, 2011

The rooms were dirty. In fact I left everything in the car. I felt unsafe. The rooms are outside in unattached buildings. At 3am a man started pounding on the door and was staring at me through the window. As soon as it was daylight we checked out and moved to a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011

On behalf of the staff and management of the new Econo Lodge of Sumter, I would like to apologize for any problems you had during your stay. The hotel had only been under the current owner and management for about 2 weeks during your stay. Since then we have made great improvements and are constantly working on offering upgrades to our customers. If there is anything I can do for you if you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and I will take care of your accommodation needs.

Reviewed September 13, 2008

I'm an RN travel nurse who accepted a 13-week contract with Tuomey Regional Medical Center in Sumter, SC in August 2007. This was a "fast-start" position (I was needed immediately), so my apartment that my travel agency was preparing for me was not ready yet. My husband and I were told we'd have to stay in a hotel overnight. No problem. My agency said they found a hotel that was literally within walking distance of the med center where I was starting my new assignment....Ramada Inn of Sumter. My nursing agency booked the room for us & paid for it for us since our apt was not ready. We walked straight to our room with room key in hand, no paper work...all was already taken care of. Very good, so far.

Wow...what a bomb! Our room was dark & damp. There was coffee cups, but no coffee maker (stolen?). The hair dryer didn't work. And the wall that the commode was on appeared to have a dark brown smear above the toilet that looked just like feces. All that, I still wasn't going to say anything.

But the following morning this took the cake....I was in a hurry to get to orientation at the hospital. My husband hurriedly went to turn in the room keys & grab a cup of coffee (since we had none in our room) at the hotel front desk. The lady at the desk asked my husband for the room receipt. My husband said he didn't have one...that I was a travel nurse and my agency took care of all the paper work. She said that "rules were rules" and if he could not produce a receipt, that she couldn't give him anything to drink. He said that he just wanted a cup of black coffee because our room had no coffeemaker in it. No dice. Now here's the clincher.....Ramada's marquee right outside the motel proudly claimed FREE HOT BREAKFAST for their customers. Yet, my husband was not allowed ONE CUP OF BLACK COFFEE? He even asked her to look up our names in the computer to verify the information & that he was a paying customer, and she told him she "didn't have time for that". Now this was at 7:50 am...there was no other customers around. Not busy check-in/check-out time. There was no other customers around!! Terrible, terrible, terrible customer service....never again!!

Bottom line....we spent 13 weeks in Sumter & had an overall WONDERFUL experience. Great people, true Southern Hospitality!!! Wonderful everywhere...even my job.....EXCEPT for the Ramada Inn. It was truly the only bad thing we had happen to us the whole time....and it was on my first night ever in Sumter!

Save your time and money....stay somewhere...ANYWHERE else. Luckily for us, it was free.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank spankynurse

This hotel was purchased by a new owner and LLC the latter part of 2011. We had nothing to do with the condition of this hotel prior to that date. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and very much improved, with constant upgrades.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

We went to Sumter over the labor day weekend and stayed for 2 nights. I booked thru hotwire so clearly did not know the name of the hotel until I had already booked. I did however know it was a 2 star but never in my mind did I imagine the filthy dirty hotel I found. I was not expecting many amentities which is fine but you walk in the lobby and the carpet is just black from the dirt. The doors had fingerprints and gross stuff on it as if not having been cleaned in months. The decorative mirrors inside the lobby where dirty it was not very attractive to say the least. We headed to our room and the entrance to our building as we are walking up we find a roach right in the middle of the entrance. We go up the stairs (which are dusty and had cobwebs all over) and there is filth just everywhere the entrance had what seemed like urine in several spots. We go into our room which with what I had seen so far was actually not as bad. The furniture seemed updated and it had a fridge and a microwave. The carpet in the room had just been renovated but don't be fooled when you hear renovated it definetly was not looking its best the carpet was put in badly the tiles on the floor where not finished but it was o.k in comparision to the rest of the place. The bed was comfortable but I always take my own sheets or else I would have slept standing up. The next morning we head to the dining room which was just pure dirt and filth. The carpet had black spots the mirrors and food on them the chairs were black from the dirt the bronze has not been cleaned in years and they had the vaccum and broom sitting right where you could see them. The staff was friendly they did there best. The buffet was not good the bread was stale the cereal was stale the spoons for the cereal were dirty I was given coffee in a broken coffee cup. the dining room was dirty, dirty, dirty, filthy gross. All I could have was coffee I could not bring myself to have anything else. I do not recommend this hotel to anybody. And if management reads this please stop advertising recently renovated you have to strip down the place and rebuild. The golf they advertise is a green outside carpet with some holes..Do Not Be Fooled!!!! Stop taking people's hard earned money!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

This hotel was purchased by a new owner and LLC the latter part of 2011. We are not responsible for the condition of the hotel prior to that date. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and much improved, along with continuing improvement.

A TripAdvisor Member
Tennessee
Reviewed March 22, 2006

This is a franchisee for Ramada. Very run down place, leaves in the unheated outdoor pool, tiniest bathroom in the world, room was kind of smelly, cracks in pavement, torn carpets in and out, cheap linens. The friendly staff does their best and the room was clean, but so shabby. The breakfast buffet was nice -- the standard waffles, eggs, donuts, cereals. This is not what i think of when I hear "Ramada Hotel." Next time I will stay in the west end of town -- this place is in a rundown abandoned-feeling neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

This is not a Ramada Inn. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and was purchased in late 2011 by the current owner and LLC. We were not reponsible for the hotel condition prior to that date. The hotel is much improved and we are constantly working on updates.

Reviewed January 17, 2006

I recently went to Sumter for my son's wedding and stayed at this hotel. The bathroom is so small that you can barely turn around in it and if there are more than yourself and a husband/wife, there was no privacy between the bedroom and dressing room and the bath is to small to dress in. Pubic hairs were all over the sheets. Our room was paid in advance and we didn't stay forfeiting our money by going in town a little further to stay at much nicer, cleaner, satisfaction guaranteed hotel. Where not only the food was good so was the atmosphere. This place does not get my vote and since the hotel was booked on Priceline I also advised them of the hotel in hopes that they may take them off their list.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Jody T

This hotel was purchased by a new owner and LLC in the latter part of 2011. We were not responsible for the condition of this property prior to that date. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and much improved with the owner constantly adding upgrades.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Whenever I go home to Sumter, I stay at a hotel. I tried the Ramada for Mother's Day weekend. I travel with my toddler son. I found the rooms to be dank and dreary. I didn't appreciate being able to see the mice/rat traps. I would have appreciated the warning. I felt like a prisoner or like I was in great danger due to the constant police presence. Whatever chemicals they use to for laundry, caused me to itch. I had to ask a relative to lend me some of their sheets. They advertise room service, but the hours for it are inconvenient. I didn't try the breakfast buffet so I certainly didn't get my money's worth. Thank goodness there is so much more to Sumter, SC! But Ramada Inn isn't getting any more of my business unless they clean up their business.

• Stayed: May 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

This hotel was purchased by a new owner and LLC the latter part of 2011. We were not responsible for the condition of the hotel prior to that date. It is now an Econo Lodge by Choice Hotels and very much improved with the management staff working hard to continuously offer upgrades.