“Better hotel than others in for Shaw”

Holiday Inn Express - Sumter
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times for business and never have anything bad to say about the place. The staff is always awesome and the coffee and breakfast spread in the mornings is always hot and tasty. Very convenient location for working on shaw (15 mins from hotel to anywhere on base) and for the Sumter restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Bryan_n_Bec
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express - Sumter

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Check in was efficient, friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean including the hallways and my room (Room 108)...was a huge King suite. This Holiday Inn was very spacious.

Location was close to restaurants and shopping. The Breakfast area was large and food options included hot items. I was planning on staying at the Candlewood Suites next door but they were sold out and I was very happy it was for the Holiday Inn totally surpassed my expectations. Will stay at HI next time I come down to visit family in Sumter.

Stayed April 19th - April 21st, 2013, traveled for family visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amaris827
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am a big fan of HI Express properties, but I thought this one was on the low end. Staff was nice, it was really just the rooms and property itself I didn't care for. Location was fine (as good as it gets in Sumter) and right next to an Outback Steakhouse, which is good if you need to eat. The pool area (I did not use it) was pretty scary looking and the "gym" was just a treadmill and elliptical. Fine I guess if that is your thing, but there was no bike and no room for weights, stretches, or anything else. It's been a bit now since I was there, but I believe I didn't care for the bed either and if I recall, the curtains wouldn't shut entirely so I wound up not being able to sleep once the sun rose. Overall, I just did not care for this property (and found it to be priced a bit high), but I am not sure if there is much better in the town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank efm16
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear efm16,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the pool and fitness center. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am a priority club member who was traveling through sumter on my way to myrtle beach. I stopped to take a break from the long drive and to use the hotels wifi. Wow, how surprised I was at how nice "Josh" the front desk attendant was. He gave me the wifi password, walked me to the dining/lounge area and turned the lights on,gave me the remote to the tv, heck he even brought me a free bottle of water and offered a snack of my choice! That kind of hospitality you cant beat. I will stay at this hotel the next time I come through sumter. Thanks Josh!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mneff_13
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We left the hotel just before 1 pm on Saturday afternoon. The cleaning cart was outside the room next door. When we came back to the hotel to change clothes about 5 pm we found that our room had never been cleaned nor did we have fresh towels. I called the front desk; they sent up towels, but no extra soap. I asked if room was going to be cleaned and was told it was too late in the day.
I complained again at checkout the next day and the clerk said he could not make adjustment to bill because of that. I was very disappointed in the attitude of front desk staff.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Mobox3
Reviewed January 20, 2013

As many hotels seem to downsize the pool, let alone provide an indoor pool, it was very surprising to find accommodations with a pool worth of doing a few laps. As large as many outdoor varieties this pool was a refreshing amenity. The suite was well designed, very clean and fresh (no lingering odors). The viewing selection was heavy on sports and it seems Turner Classic Movies is being banned from most chain lineups - that's a shame as not everyone only cares for the whiz bang high tech violence or sports only options. A well equipped business center is provided and am ample varied breakfast available in a fairly large dining room. Many restaurants close and well situated in Sumter

Room Tip: Check in with enough time to enjoy the pool; a great way to relax.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed one night on a business trip. The room was clean and spacious. For the price, it was above average. What takes away from the making this an excellent customer experience is the front desk staff. My husband and I checked in on Friday night, the only guest checking in at the time. Front desk seem very disinterested in us as customers, but she did quickly check us in. Our room had even been upgraded to a suite!!! Nice and welcomed surprise. Again no complaints about the room. The hotel was clean, comfortable bed. We called down to the firont desk to ask about area restaurants- front desk response...... "you can google it." My husband and I both thought this was an inappropriate response for a simple question but gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed she was superbusy checking guest in. Wrong. When we went down stairs within minutes of being told to google an answer to our question, we saw the reason that she couldnt assist us was because she was busy on the cell phone. Not one guest was waiting to be checked in she was obviously on a personal call which was more important that making guest feel valued. Small thing maybe but changed my opinion of thinking this was an excellent hotel- to just okay. How you treat me as a customer is just as important as the cleaniness and price of the hotel. On the flip side, called down earlier Saturday morning to ask for clean towels (different front desk staff) and towels were delivered within minutes. The sense of urgency in meeting my need was greatly appreciated. Again, maybe a small thing but definitely a small thing that contributes to the overall experience. I would stay again, I just hope the management understands how important customer service is and how small things definitely make a difference and excellent customer service tips the scale when having to make a choice of where to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business