“Surpassed My Expectations”

Holiday Inn Express - Sumter
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Check in was efficient and professional. Hotel was clean; hallways, elevator and my room...which was a huge King suite. Some Holiday Inns use the term "suite" too loosely. This one was very spacious.

Location was close to restaurants and shopping. Breakfast area is large and food options included hot items. I typically stay at the Hampton Inn next door but the Holiday Inn surpassed my expectations. Will stay at HI next time work takes me back to Sumter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We traveled to Sumter to attend a soccer tournament in which our grandson was participating. The Holiday Inn Express was our choice from among several hotels in this general category. The stay was uneventful -- which I consider a good thing. The foom was clean and comfortable, the wireless Internet worked as it was supposed to, and we were within walking distance of several restaurants. I would recommend this facility to anyone. The desk clerk appeared to be working on a personal project, but responded to questions in a pleasant way. Breakfast was plentiful. The cinnamon rolls were good!! We had no complaints and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: I have no pointers on this. We had stayed here a couple of years ago, and based on only two stays I...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay here because it was right next to Outback Steakhouse. We also prefer to stay at Holiday Inn Express since we are Priority Club members. The breakfast was awesome and the beds were super comfortable. Overall, my stay was excellent and the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jason989801
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The overwhelming smell of disinfectant was what hit you upon walking in. Though the beds were very comfortable the room's carpet was in need of repair. The hot breakfast was plentiful...however...the shutting down completely of the "lounge"/dining area to total darkness after breakfast took away a great spot to curl up and read or watch TV. When a suggestion was made about having hot coffee available I was fluffed off. There was a problem with using our key card on the back door to get in . The sign stating access available with your key card. My husband learned it was due to the door handle having to be pushed UP not DOWN, as is the usual motion. We brought this to the front desk and he said:" It was a security issue." ???? We suggested a permanent sign..and he said: " we have put signs up and they blow away.....". Please! Our keyes did not work on the second day of our paid stay and we had to go and get them redone. Our friends room was never made up...for the next day...We understand that these may be considered small things...but if the small things are not adressed properly...what happens to the larger ones. A simple : "Thank you for bringing this to our attention" would have gone a lot farther then the excuses that were given. Who trains these people? (How to diffuse a disapointed guest....".

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank bfzebra
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear bfzebra,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for the disappointment and the inconvenience you had with our facilities as well as your room accommodations and the poor service you received during your stay. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Based on reviews I picked this hotel. It's not the worst I've stayed at just not the best. Rooms were fairly clean but not what I would call clean clean. Maintenance needed at hotel, buildup in corners, dust on lamp shades, vents, etc. Beds were clean and bathroom was fairly clean except in corners and around crevices. I always clean in the bathroom with cleaner for my piece of mind everywhere. Workout facility--Key wouldn't let us in and staff was not concerned with this. Never got in. The indoor pool was ok but moisture collects everywhere in pool room which is starting to mold. Health hazzard. Front desk is not helpful, not unpleasant just not helpful. All in all, I wouldn't stay here again, but if it was the only choice I probably would. Breakfast was standard.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Bubbie2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Sumter, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Bubbie2,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment the bed and the bathroom.

However We’re sorry you received service from our housekeeping and for our staff not being helpful which was unacceptable. We will address this points and assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

It's tough to go wrong at a Holiday Inn Express. They lived up to their reputation. Rooms were clean, price was fair and the breakfast was excellent. This would be my recommended place in Sumter its right next to Outback so you can walk to dinner. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ScottH040
Reviewed November 7, 2012

First of all, this place is clean. The bed was super comfy and clean. Carpet was clean. Employees were friendly. The thing that blew me away was the hot breakfast. Now, this place had the typical Holiday Inn Express food but it was better. Not only that, but they served bacon AND sausage AND ham. Who does that? The eggs were hot. Anything you wanted, they had it. The orange juice was not watered down. The breakfast room had plenty of tables and chairs.
Very reasonable on the pricing for this room too. I think we paid $77.
I have one complaint...we only got to stay one night. I would have loved a longer stay!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong here.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business