All reviewsclean place to staybiggest problemhot breakfastair forcean older hotelbreakfast roomgymupgradeschainworkerswalmart
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Doors open to the outside, not indicitive of the Marriott name. A disappointment when you pull up. Old. Think 25 year-old Holiday Inn, not anything associated with the name Marriott.

Service was fine, but nothing they could fix. Stay elsewhere, such as the new-looking Holiday Inn down the road.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Was in town for a big tennis tournament at the Palmetto Tennis Center and our group chose the Fairfield Inn (mainly because a couple of us get Marriott Rewards points).

Now I wish I remembered to visit this site before agreeing to that hotel choice.

The people....well, they are as friendly as can be (and that's from a Southerner). But it was just not quite what I was hoping for (even at the $66/night AAA rate).

* Pool was kinda sketchy.
* Room had an overwhelming disinfectant/perfume odor (as if the staff had poured cologne into the A/C for the room to cover up a foul smell).
* The evening disco crowd (or maybe it was a wedding...I was determined not to check it out) looked like trouble.
* Rooms getting pretty worn and showing their age.
* We left the room (adjacent to the maid's "headquarters") at 8:15 in the mornings and when we got back at 2 or so after tennis, the room hadn't been made up, so when we were ready to shower and rest up, we had to leave the room.

The good news: The breakfast (especially the make-your-own waffles) was decent, if not a hit with the boys

* Very, very helpful front desk.
* Good business center
* Very accommodating late check out (the regular check-out time is 12:30, so right there you're in good shape (plus, as noted above, it's not like the maids are knocking down doors to move you out.

At the tennis event we all compared notes about the places where we were staying. The people staying at the Comfort Suites were, hands-down, the most pleased with their choice. (The indoor pool was a huge hit there.) I had considered the Hampton Inn, but I didn't regret staying at the Fairfield Inn. The Hampton Inn was bad in any way as far as I knew...I just didn't like the pool sort of stranded out there exposed beside the main drag.

If you just need a room, it's not like you should avoid the Fairfield Inn. But if you have some time to reflect on where to stay, take a look at the Comfort Suites first (if the tennis moms can be trusted).

2  Thank DyerMaker