All reviews clean place to stay biggest problem hot breakfast air force an older hotel breakfast room gym workers walmart
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

We had reserved this room for a week. The price was great and the best thing this hotel offered was the free breakfast. The rooms are small, dark, and kind of musty. There was some mold on the shower curtain. On the 5th day we were there I came back from breakfast to see a large insect run across my bed. That was enough to send me packing. I would only suggest this hotel as an overnight stop not an extended stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Katie R, Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I want to thank you very much for staying with us here at the Quality Inn Sumter. We appreciate your feedback and we thrive on improving our hotel in every way, shape and form. Your comments allow us to know where we are strong and where we need to be better.

Since your review, we have made several repairs to the rooms and exterior. Furthermore, Steritech manages our pest control and they provide a Zero Tolerance approach. This approach guarantees zero tolerance for pest infestations of any kind, under any circumstances, for any reason. I am hopeful that you brought this to our attention immediately as we take pest prevention very seriously.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again in the future to see for yourself the changes we have made. We do take pride in our brand and in the consistency and quality that Quality Inn stands for.

Best regards,

Katie Register
Katie.Register@fowlerhospitality.com

Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is a motel where room doors open to the outside no a hallway. I did not feel safe here with my child. The outside was rundown, cement stucco cracking. Inside room was clean, but we did not have hot water the first day, the hotel was full.

Room Tip: If facing the hotel choose rooms on the left side.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Dear Lookmarketing,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

In regards to the inn, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with some of the inn’s recent improvements. We have repaired the exterior and have made several other renovations. We are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Rooms are decent, with the appearance of having been renovated sometime in the last couple/few years. Everything in the rooms was clean and tidy. The motel exterior, on the other hand seemed really rundown. The parking lot surface was cracked, with unsightly sand or soil coming out of the cracks everywhere. The landscaping was dry, brown and unkempt. This is a motel style facility, where all rooms lead to the outside. Not great for security, but in this price range your choices are limited. The metal stairs leading up to my second floor room were rusted, and I had to duck under cobwebs while walking on the sidewalk from my car to the stairs.

Usually, I would not take much notice in such cosmetics as the hotel exterior. But in this case it seemed particularly rundown, and uncared for. To the point that I thought I had made a really bad choice when pulling into the parking lot. But fortunately, the room interior made up for it, and were very decent. Internet service in the rooms was acceptable for my use (just checking work email).

Service was just fine, although I didn't utilize the front desk for anything besides checking in and out. Breakfast was quite good, with plenty of hot eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereal, coffee, juice and other items. And the breakfast area had ample seating. There is an outdoor pool, but I didn't have time to use it, or even take a close look. So I have no comment on its quality.

Overall, the place was acceptable for a short business trip. The hotel exterior was really a big turnoff, but the rooms turned out to be fine. If I come back, I might check out the Comfort Suites down the street. I believe this was also within the federal per diem lodging rate. But it looked like a much newer facility, including interior hallways for better security.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dcmark73
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed at the Quality Inn for 6 nights while visiting my son and his family stationed at Shaw AFB. Arriving at the hotel on Thanksgiving day, check in was simple and quick. The woman at the desk was helpful and friendly, as were all the staff members we spoke to during our visit. When we got to our room, our first thought was that it was small. We were however impressed on how clean it was. The beds were comfortable as well as the 3 small pillows on each bed. The bedding wasn't new, but was clean and stain free. The carpeting in the room was ok, older but clean. The small refrigerator was kinda wierd. It was part of the drawers system. You had to open the door that looked like 3 drawers then open the actual fridge door. At first, we thought there was no fridge in the room. Wierd, never saw that before. So everytime you wanted to get into the fridge, you had to open two doors. No big deal, though. The AC/heater unit was easy to use, quiet and worked well. We never used the heat and always had the AC on low. The bathroom was very small. The shower was fine with the water temp easy to regulate, good water pressure and had a waterpik shower head which was nice. The sink and vanity was located outside the bathroom which was fine since it allowed room for a bigger vanity to place our toiletries.On our first night, the sink was draining very slowly. We called the front desk and they said they would send a maintanence man in the morning. We were out all day and was happy to see the drain working fine when we got in that night.The one knock I have on the bathroom was that there was no exhaust fan. Even though we always travel with a can of air freshener, (for obvious reasons) an exhaust would have been appreciated. Our room was in the courtyard near the pool. The pool was closed for the season. There was a crew working on the fencing surrounding the pool, sand blasting off the old paint. That was VERY loud and VERY annoying. They worked on this for about 3 days. Thankfully, we were only in our room for a few quick stops during the days they were working. The free buffet breakfast was good. There were several hot items...eggs, sausage, and waffles. Toast, bagels, muffins and pastries were all served daily. Several juices and coffee and tea were also served. The food was a bit bland and the menu never changed, but it was fresh everyday and probably saved us $15-$20 dollars a day. And finally, the hotels location was fantastic for us. 6 miles from Shaw, a mall, a few stores and MANY places to eat very near by. There's a Golden Corral right across the highway where we ate several times. Great food. Great selection. Great price. We don't have any Golden Corrals near us in New Jersey. Sure wish we did. We plan on being in Sumter again in late March and will certainly consider staying at the Quality Inn again.

Room Tip: You may want to stay away from the pool in the early off season. Repairs and improvemnts to the pool and surrounding area may become loud.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jerry P
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had just moved to the area. Our rental wasn't going to be available for three weeks and we needed a place to stay that accepted our dog. We had a reservation at a cheap hotel down the street but we walked into the room and immediately left without even staying the night. We had driven 17 hours and I was tired and cranky and worried about what else Sumter had in store for us given what we just saw. We pulled into the Quality Inn and from the outside the lobby looked impressive. My husband went inside and booked a room. We were given a ground level room that made it convenient when the dog needed to go out. We only paid a $25 pet fee for the entire stay. I asked my husband to go into our room first and then come back and let me know whether I should even get out of the car. He came back out and said "Believe me, you'll want to come in" and he was right. The room is very nice and very clean. We heard no noise from the outside or from the rooms surrounding us so either the rooms were empty or the walls were insulated well. As full as the parking lot was, I don't believe all of our surrounding rooms could have been vacant. The air conditioning worked great. The room had a little fridge, a microwave, iron, ironing board, everything we needed. I honestly can't say one bad thing about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple