“Don't miss it!!”

Palmetto Oyster House
Ranked #5 of 142 Restaurants in Sumter
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A new casual restaurant that just opened 15 August 2011. We thought the crab balls and crab cake truly outstanding! 803-607-9498
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a weeknight with group of 10 -- quickly seated and the rest of our say was fabulous. The waitress told us a way to get a free order of corn fritters (delicious!!) while we waited for food. Everyone in our large group was happy with their food. Get the shrimp and grits -- it was heavenly.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Had a farewell party for coworker and the food service was very good. The only issue is that with30 plus people we should have had at least two waitress instead of one. This location is great for parties because it has a big back room can fit 50 plus people plus an outdoor area. Would recommend to any one visiting the Sumter area.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I called and spoke to the manager and tried to set up a function for a going away dinner for a military member - I was basically told by the manager that he didn't want to accommodate us. He was very rude to me and mentioned that I could go somewhere else. Unbelievable! There are not alot of places to eat in Sumter - but I would rather go to McDonald's than ever spend my hard earned money at this place! This is a military community and they don't cater to the military. The food is horrible - the service is pathetic - I have organized several functions there in the past that brought in thousands of dollars...well no more. You will never run a successful with managers treating people like that. I have already emailed my entire squadron of 150 people about this place and I will do plenty more - the Palmetto Oyster House could be a nice place if they didn't have such a jerk manager!

7  Thank Jason H
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our first visit to POH. Not sure what to expect since I had only seen the menu and a few pictures. It was very busy but we were seated right away. Waitress was quick to got our drinks and gave a us a code to text for free corn fritter appetizers(hush puppies or corn dodgers to some of us). I ordered the seafood combo (shrimp and flounder), with green beans and red potatoes for sides. My wife had the chicken appetizer which "crab chips". (home made potato chips).
The food was out in about 15-20 minutes. Shrimp was LARGE, fried just right and very hot. Flounder was tender and the flavor was very fresh. My wife's chicken was slightly battered which she doesn't normally like but she said is was very good. My green beans were seasoned just right. The corn fritters were served with a side of Grady Locklear pepper jelly. It was green and pretty hot. Added a little zing to the corn fritter. My red potatoes were average but still good. We were planning to share a Key Lime pie slice, but were way too full for that. Maybe next time. Over all we were very pleasantly surprise at the quality of the food, service and the overall atmosphere. Restaurant was very busy during our time there (7pm-8)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is a really neat place, casual in decor and the food is consistently great! Tuesday's & Thursday's they have Shrimp & Grits as a special. It is the best I have ever had, you have got to try it! They have some great appetizers and they are big enough to have as a meal. This is one of my favorite places to eat in Sumter! They are closed on Sunday's.