“One of our worst experience at a hotel stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sumter
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Sumter, South Carolina
“One of our worst experience at a hotel stay”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hotel was booked by on line travel agency. Room was booked for four nights, and pre-paid. If it had not been for that we would have checked out once we got to the room and found out they cannot de-feather the bed. Hotel cannot accommodate individuals allergic to feather pillows. Had to go by some pillows. On the first nite people were talking loud in the halls pass 1 a.m. Called the fromt desk four times, no assistance. I had to go out and ask them to quiet down. Didn't help and the desk clerk didn't do anything about it. On the second day, the elevator broke, and again people was making noise and drinking on the second floor. Called the clerk twice noise calmed down but picked up again around 11:00 p.m. This was one of the worst hotel stay ever and it's not worth the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Casey U, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sumter, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to complete your reponse for Country Inns & Suites. In reviewing your response I noticed areas where you rated us below what I consider to be acceptable. I wanted to make sure that you feel your comments were heard and make sure the areas that you found unacceptable are corrected.
My staff and I would like to apologize sincerely for your experience and hope that you will give us another try if your ever in the area again.
Please feel free to contact me directly if your travel brings you back to the area, and I will make sure that we will meet and exceed your expectations.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bangalore
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our stay at Holiday Inn was very comfortable.
Here is what we liked
Breakfast spread was good and had vegetarian varieties
Rooms are clean and quite comfortable
Staff is helpful and courteous
MRT trains are not in walking distance though Bus stops are conveniently located
Complimentary Shuttle to Orchard Road is useful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I Stayed several times at this place and always had a very good experience. Great service and clean rooms.I am glad that I found a good hotel after having bad experiences at other hotels across the street.
Staff at this hotel is very good and courteous.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

As I look at other reviews it is very ironic that a hotel would get horrible reviews during the same weekend from two different customers. First off the customer service sucks. It took me 35 min to check (already had reservations). There was only one person in front of me. Room was ok however the carpet was stained. There was bumping and hammering going on all thru the night. I woke up at 8am to a drilling noise from the next room. I called the desk and made a complaint. The front desk rep told me work is getting done to the room and the handy man has untl 12 noon to finish. I thought I was in the twight light zone. The front desk rep explained to about a problem that had absolutly nothing to do with the level of service im expecting when im a paying customer. My family left room eairly the next morning around 930am. We did not arrive back to the hotel until 11pm. As im comming in I ask the front desk rep for extra towels, she said one min. Well that one min turned into 40min. She could not find clean towels for 40min. As im.waiting in the lobby my wife calls from the room and say no one cleaned the room. The was exactly the same way we left it that morning. This hotel sucks. Im going to go back to bed before the drilling starts

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank tonyswiggs
Casey U, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sumter, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I am so sorry for your disappointment as the renovation person came in at 9:00 to get start the work as we are upgrading. I am sorry about other issues as I like to compensate for this trouble. Please email me at cx_susc@countryinns.com

Travelers are raving about these Sumter hotels

Summerville, SC
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Some how our reservation was messed up. We did not get the 2 room suite that we reserved and paid for. The desk attempted to find us a suite, but they were all booked. She said only the GM could handle the rate difference, and that we could call him on Tuesday when he came in, this is 6 days after our stay. In addition to the reservation issue, the room itself was very much in need of some TLC. The room has stains on the carpet and the bathroom was not clean. I am very disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
I would like to again apologize for all your trouble with your reservation. I thank you for taking the time to write a review expressing your concerns. ALL feedback in areas where we can improve is welcomed. I'm glad to know all the billing issues have been resolved. However, should you further concerns and/or questions, please don't hesitate to call or email me at cx_susc@countryinns.com
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was traveling in Sumter on business and got booked here at the Country Inn. Usually these are decent hotels with good breakfasts. Overall, I'd say the hotel is average for this part of the country, but there were several things over the course of my stay that resulted in the poor rating I gave.

First, the hotel itself is pretty worn out. The carpeted stairs in the lobby that lead up to the second floor are worn thin and the railing is partially removed with the bolts still sticking out. Same goes for the hallways and rooms - lots of dirty walls and stained carpets. I had a whirlpool suite but the whirlpool only ran for about 5 minutes then it stopped for no reason and I never could get it going again. There was also a lot of room to room noise and noise from the room above me - more than I've heard at a hotel in a long time.

There were several other travelers who commented about the parking lot - yes, it is a joke. The parking lot doesn't wrap around the hotel 100%, just on one side. And if you do park in back, there are no doors back there so you'll have to hike to the front or take a side door, which were never locked even at night. Every night the parking lot in front was full so most people parked in the grass (well, it used to be grass but now it's a dirt parking lot).

I was very disappointed in the cleaning staff - they were rediculously loud every day. I work odd hours so I slept in every day and kept a DO NOT DISTURB sign constantly on my door. I was surprised when they knocked anyway and asked if I needed my room cleaned...and it was seriously hard to hear her over the music she was blaring out of one of her headphones. Really? Unfortunately, all the cleaners were playing music on their phones in the hallway all the time - very inconsiderate. I took the stairs on one occasion and there was a member of the cleaning staff sitting on the stairs talking on her cell phone. I literally had to walk around her because she didn't even notice I was on the stairway.

As for some of the good - the bed was very comfortable, the exercise room is decent, when they have cookies out they were good. The front desk staff was generally very helpful and professional. The location is also very good, just not sure what's going on with the parking lot. I cannot comment on the breakfasts as I missed them all due to my work schedule.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Casey U, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sumter, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We really appreciate this opportunity to address our issue, It is with guests like yourself that allows us to always make improvements and improve our training for our associates. I am so sorry about the parking lot in the front as it doesn't belong to the hotel but we have plenty of parking in the back. We hope you will give our hotel a second chance should your travels bring you back to the Sumter Area. We do take all suggestions and complaints very seriously and always strive to make things right. Please advise us when you might be returning.
Melbourne, FL, USA
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had stayed in the same hotel chain in VA on our way from FL to NYC. It was so great that we stayed in another on our way home again. This second hotel was a bit older, but again, what a wonderful night's sleep. My husband got up, showered, dressed and went for coffee (yes, there's a machine in the room, he just preferred to go down to the restaurant area) and I never awakened. He said I didn't even stir, and this NEVER happens. I want their mattress!
Free Wi-Fi, wonderful complimentary (delicious) breakfast, and even on a sold-out night with children's baseball teams in residence -- absolute quiet.
I see the negative reviews and am sorry for their experiences. Our night was excellent at both hotels in both states.
Not the most frugal chain out there, but the value is great. Each hotel is priced differently depending on how full, the area, etc. Our stay in VA at $79.99 was even a better price than this one at $105.
I was double-charged for the same night on my AMEX for the VA hotel, but it was immediately credited back, so always check. I doubt they make a habit of it, probably just an error.

Room Tip: Fully booked and totally quiet. No problems.