“Welcoming Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
Bellevue, Nebraska
“Welcoming Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My family stayed here for 6 nights while visiting family in the area. We enjoyed our stay and would return again. We also stayed here the last trip to SC five years ago.

The thing that stands out the most to me is the staff. These are the friendliest, most welcoming people I have encountered at a hotel. They were especially kind to my daughters and always asked about them. The girls liked going to get their tea and hot chocolate so they can chit chat with the staff on the way. Not one time did we see an employee without a smile or a warm greeting. South Carolina is home for me and they made us feel like we were at home.

I especially wanted to highlight excellent service we received from Jatika at the front desk. She assisted me with adjusting my rate to the proper military fare in the middle of our stay. The rate had gone down a couple of days after we checked in and she adjusted it, without a problem, as soon as I inquired about it. She really didn't have to do that as I obviously agreed to the rate I booked. It was much appreciated and I handed out my first Trip Advisor Excellence pin. I hope she wears it proudly.

I want to emphasize that it is much more than the rate adjustment that made us happy. I can't say enough about the staff and their friendliness. Every single person was kind, professional, and eager to please.

There a couple of negatives that prevented me from giving 5 stars. The first is that the hotel is starting to show signs of wear and age. A renovation would be in order and make this hotel a more attractive option. This is especially important due to the newer hotels right down the street and the one currently being built. The entire place was very clean and I felt very comfortable there, I just think it needs to be updated.

The other concern had to do with the housekeeping. May be a minor concern to some, but bothered me on one day in particular. We have a 3 hour time difference where we live vs South Carolina so my children sleep a little later. I had them up and getting ready a little after 10am when we got a slip under the door that the room wouldn't be serviced that day because of the DO NOT DISTURB sign. I think that 1023, to be exact, is too early for a cut off on service. I asked the particular lady about getting towels for the evening/next morning and she was very nice about it. However, when she gave me the towels and said it was because she was a nice person. That was odd because it was still early and I didn't think it was too much to expect to have clean towels for the next morning since she wasn't going to service the room. I want to be fair and point out that other days we didn't have this issue. One other morning I told a different lady not to worry about service because the room was still decent. I would just ask that they not cut off service so early if you miss the first pass.

The hotel is located in a prime location as it relates to many eating establishments. There is a Waffle House right next door along with a Hibachi buffet. There is a Starbucks not too far down along with a myriad of additional options. Especially convenient is the WalMart Super Center across the street. Shaw AFB is maybe 10 minutes west and it took me about 40 minutes to drive from and then back to the Columbia Metropolitan Airport. The Sumter Mall is 5 minutes east of the hotel.

Thank you to the entire staff for making our stay enjoyable and comfortable. We felt like a member of their family. The girls really appreciate the little bags of goodies you gave them. How thoughtful!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank YNOL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Beds were extremely comfortable and fresh. I will plan to stay again. My TV went out and remained out for two days because of Direct TV. Staff however was responsive but unable to do anything about the problem.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

During regular visits to the Sumter/Shaw AFB area, I stay at this Hampton Inn. It meets all that you would expect of this brand and more. The more is the friendliness and customer care that Debra and her staff exhibit to their guests. Case in point was the recent ice storm in that part of the state that caused the hotel to lose power for app 16 hours. Debra stayed the night to assure things were as best they could be. When we awoke the next morning morning still with no power,we discovered Debra had traveled to other nearby hotels to get hot coffee for our lobby. She had also laid out peanut butter and bread for sandwiches. As the morning wore on, her staff assisted guests in scraping ice off of their cars.This was a once a decade event and her care and staff training came to the fore. In tough times you discover who the standouts are , and the staff at the Hampton Inn Sumter are true standouts.

Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

It has been a long time since I have stayed at a hotel that actively engaged its guests (not just me) to the extent that management did at this Hampton Inn. They asked about our comfort, was everything ok, was there anything that we needed. The rooms and common areas were very well maintained. The front desk staff was very positive, professional, and responsive. I will stay here again and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Sumter.

Montgomery, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Certainly most hotels are located near places of businesses, but I never been in one that is the epitome of being in the heart of just about every place you would desire to go. I've been in newly renovated properties but this hotel was exceptionally clean and cozy..The staff was great as well.. a really good experience

Gastonia, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

The stay at this hotel was great because of the GREAT customer service! The ladies who work the front desk are helpful, kind, and fun! They go out of their way to make sure you are happy and comfortable.

Hannover, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Staff is very nice and although it is not a top notch hotel ( also do not pay a top notch price ) it is quiet, clean, confortable and has all you need for a business trip to relax. Never used the swimming pool but it looks good for a hot summer day after work. Located a bit away from the Center of town but has walmart, a lot of restaurants and cinema very close