“Not Bad”

Hampton Inn Sumter
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Sumter
“Not Bad”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My sister and I stayed here as it is the closest Hilton brand hotel to Manning, SC (Hampton Inn Manning was sold out) and because there is actually a semblance of night life in Sumter. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. 5 stars there for sure.

The hotel is a bit dated though and at the same category level as the Hampton Inn Manning, I expected the same decor as the hotel in Manning. This hotel has a 90s feel. I would stay here again just for the excellent service the ladies provide and of course for the comfortable bed otherwise I will book the hotel in Manning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer M, Manager at Hampton Inn Sumter, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review our our hotel. I am very pleased that you found our staff accommodating and welcoming. It is our goal to make everyone feel at home while they are with us! I am sorry the decor didn't live up to your expectations. We have some projects planned for this year, and I hope you will come by and see us, as well as our improvements, the next time you are in Sumter!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Excellent room. Great value, comfortable and very clean. There are a lot of shops and restaurants in this area. There was a Huddle House directly next door and a Golden Corral across the street. A group of us stayed here and we all thought this hotel was very good.This was my first time here and I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Richard G
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. It is our goal to ensure that everyone has a wonderful stay with us, and I am glad to know we succeeded. We look forward to having your stay with us on your next trip to Sumter!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I travel a LOT and have stayed at MANY Hampton Inns (against my will), I usually find them old and dirty and very unpleasant. NOT here... I was on a trip to VA and needed a place to stay overnight. Where I was, there weren't many options with availability (I am a Hilton Honors Member and only stay at Hilton properties). I reluctantly picked this hotel and I am so glad I did!! This was the most delightful, CLEAN, friendly Hampton Inn I have EVER stayed at... If you are going to, or through Sumter and need a place to stay? This is where you need to go...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Jennifer M, Manager at Hampton Inn Sumter, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! As a staff, we work hard to ensure that each and every guest has a comfortable "home away from home" stay while with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again should your travels bring you to the Sumter, South Carolina area!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Check in was fine. The hotel Receptionist was very cordial and welcoming. lobby is maintained and they did have cookies.
The rooms are really showing their age. Everything was drab and the furniture and desk were really outdated. The lighting was very bad. The bed was OK but again was showing wear and tear and the pillows should have been replaced a year ago.
The bathroom left a lot to be desired, it was tiny and the shower had mold which is one of my pet peeves. One of my other dislikes are toilet seats that wont stay up because they are broken and the one in this bathroom was bad.
Breakfast was below par for Hilton, They did not serve the normal hot breakfast instead they had a refrigerator with cold sausage biscuits that looked awful. This presentation is more in line with a Days Inn rather than a Hampton. I asked about the breakfast and was informed that it should improve after the first of the year?
I would stay in other Hilton properties surrounding Sumter but if you need to be staying locally this hotel will do.
This was not a great experience as the property is very mediocre. The only stand out was the staff who were very kind and attentive.

Room Tip: watch out for rooms near the elevator on 2nd floor, the laundry room is right there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I take all guests comments very seriously, and have addressed your issues with our housekeeping and maintenance staff. In addition, we do have plans for hotel improvements in 2013. We are very excited about these plans, and I would like to invite you back to try us again when your travels bring you back to Sumter, South Carolina!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I enjoyed my stay. The hotel was located near a number of restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable. A fiendly staff that was helpful. It is in line with the consistancy of the Hampton Inn. I would stay again if in the area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer M, Manager at Hampton Inn Sumter, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us from your stay. We make an effort to ensure everyone has a home-away-from home atmosphere while with us, and I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We took a leisurely trip through South Carolina on our way to Savannah and thought Sumter would be a nice stopping point. We chose Hampton Inn because they are usually reliable. This hotel didn't seem worthy of the Hampton Inn group. Not especially clean - greeted by a small bug in the bathroom. Bathroom was also tiny and difficult to maneuver around. Room and hallways felt tired. Air conditioner wasn't constant and would start up with a loud whoosh. Breakfast was a joke. Something in a bag that you microwave. I think mine was egg on a muffin, but I couldn't cut the muffin with the knife so still not sure. On top of that the large flat screen TV in the breakfast area was tuned to a religious channel with a preacher who was long and loud. I admit it was Sunday, but still...

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We take all of our guest comments seriously. I have addressed your comments with our staff to ensure this doesn't happen again. We pride ourselves in making our guests happy and at home while here with us. I sincerely apologize that that didn't happen during your stay. We are undergoing some improvements here at the hotel, and I do invite you to try us again should your travels bring you to Sumter again.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very disappointed in how the Manager, Debra Bell, handled an error that she made in booking my reservation. I requested 2 queen beds, arrived to get a king bed. Ms. Bell stated that she knew that she had not made an error, so obviously I made the error...I have 3 kids, I never book a king room. It wasn't the mistake is was how it was handled! Interestly, a few hours later (after I informed her that I would be contacting Hilton), she found a room with 2 Q beds and offered for her and the housekeeper to move our things. She apologized profusely and was sorry for her error! If only she had acted this way originally, the entire situation would have beeen no big deal! Never Again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer M, Manager at Hampton Inn Sumter, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and let us know your thoughts. I apologize for the misunderstanding, and can assure you that we are looking into the situation. It is our goal to always strive for 100% satisfaction, and we deeply value our customer's feedback to achieve that. Our entire staff works very hard to provide wonderful hospitality in Sumter, South Carolina. Again, I apologize, and I assure you that this is not the experience we want our guests to have.