“A Major Disappointment”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Summerville
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Summerville
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Our hotel room was dirty but it was getting late in the day and we did not want to relocate. Desk staff at this hotel is pleasant. The price was reasonable but not so reasonable that, considering a dirty room, we would ever stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Thank RobtNorthCaroli... A

Reviewed July 1, 2009

My friend and I went to Charleston for the weekend, it's about 25- 30 mins. from downtown Charleston, but it's worth it for the price of the hotel. Our room was clean and the breakfast was great! The only complaint I have is the front desk staff were not very friendly! If we had questions, it seemed like we were a bother to them! Other than, everything was great! It's right off the highway, not too hard to find. They also had a very nice outdoor pool.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Great place - right off the interstate - Stayed there for 4 nights. Upon arrival greeted by a wonderful desk clerk - Jim - gave us restaurant recommendations, coupons for a restaurant, a goodie bag and cookies. Clean facility - wide variety for breakfast - considering it is included in the price. I ate something different each morning. Nice to have a microwave and a refrigerator in our room. Good little exercise room, interent access and a pool area. Relaxing to sit on rockers in the front of the hotel . Only complaint was the water pressure in the shower - kinda' weak. Staff was very friednly - I would stay here again and would definitely recommend this place to anyone. If you want to visit Charleston and save alot of money - this is a good bet - a 20 miute drive - off peak time. Spend your money you save on your vacation .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guamgirl53
Reviewed July 19, 2008

We got a deal on this hotel but there were definite problems. The people at the front desk were polite but not helpful. They would not put our rooms near each other claiming that the hotel was booked. It wasn't. Our floor was nearly empty. The rooms were not clean. Food crumbs on the floor around the bed. One bed had a nasty stain on the sheet which the staff replaced. Unfortunately my room was near the elevator which put me beside the maids' linen closet. I had no idea you could make so much noise with sheets! The banging actually shook our lamps.
We requested a late checkout so we could get ready for an afternoon wedding, but the staff at the desk would only allow us one hour extra which they forget to tell the maid staff or write down so we had issues when we did check out. I would look for another hotel or spend the extra in Charleston for clean sheets and staff that wants to please their guests.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed there after deciding we had travelled enough and would do the extra 30 miles into Charleston the next day. We had not researched it beforehand. Mostly it is ok. It is reasonably clean. Staff are freindly. Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety, fruit, cereal, bagels, bread and waffles. It is located just off the interstate and is near to supermarkets to buy food or fast food outlets.

My only problem was the wobbly toilet. We didn't find this until we were going to bed so decided to live with it. On closer inspection it looked as if this had been a problem for some time. Perhaps a litte closer attention to the detail is appropriate.

Would I stay here again, yes I probably would.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I read positive reviews regarding this hotel and decided to try it during a recent stop in Summerville, which if you've not been there, is an interesting town once you get past the interstate congestion and an alternative to the higher prices of Charleston. The ladies at the front desk were extremely helpful and polite. Our first room was awful. The carpet obviously hadn't seen a vacuum in a long time, as in nasty fuzz balls around all the furniture and large items on the main rug. The bathroom was not clean and things were dusty. Yikes! We requested another room, which we were quickly moved to and it seemed much better, until I pulled down the sheets. Lots of body hair - everywhere. Yikes again. And worse, what looked to be fresh blood on the upper sheet. I returned to the front desk and told them about the problem. I was given fresh sheets and they offered to change the bed for me, which I didn't need, but appreciated. The rest of the hotel looked very tidy, including the small fitness room. Everyone has good and bad days and obviously housekeeping wasn't having a good one when we visited. I know it's impossible to keep rooms pristine, but I hope this is addressed effectively. I'd be willing to give it another try, when in the area, unless something better opens up.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2007

We chose this hotel due to it's location and being a newer hotel (opened 2004). The only hesitation was they allowed pets but that concern disappeared upon arrival. The advertised warmth and welcoming hotel decor and staff is true! The front desk greeted us with smiles, warm cookies and a welcome goodie bag. Our room was very clean, nicely furnished and came with a microwave and mini fridge. We like the availability of the business room with free internet and workout room. The breakfast included in the price was a great value and very popular. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple