“Would prefer not to eat there again”
Review of Oscar's Place

Oscar's Place
Ranked #7 of 276 Restaurants in Summerville
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Went there after reading reviews and found that this is definitely not the place for me to eat. The food is okay but too expensive for what you get. The service is fine as long as they do not make any mistakes.

1  Thank mariea2323

Reviewed December 17, 2010

We go to Oscar's about once a month, and it is always great. On our recent visit my wife tried the duck which was exceptional. It is also had to go wrong with the bacon wrapped shrimp as an app. They are delicious! If you want to try the most delicious dessert ever we would like to recommend the banana and caramel xango. It is amazing, one word, xango you have to try it!

Reviewed September 4, 2010

My husband and I ate dinner at Oscar's to celebrate my birthday. We had a wonderful dining experience from when we walked into the dinner. Our waiter was great - very attentive and friendly yet didn't constantly check on us. I started with a cup of she-crab soup and had shrimp and grits as an entree. They were both delicious. Shrimp and grits are so popular in the Charleston area and those were some of the best if not the best I have eaten. The grits were creamy and cheesy. The shrimp had no tails to pull off. There were also bacon, mushrooms, and green onions. My husband had a half rack of ribs with shoestring fries and grilled corn on the cob. The ribs were so tender; he didn't need to use a knife and the sauce was to die for. We finished our meal with a chocolate baby bundt cake with coffee ice cream and whipped cream. It was perfect for both of us to share. What a wonderful night!

1  Thank traveler0930
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I am so glad that I ignored the atypical bad experiences of a few. Although unfamiliar with many of the amenities of Summerville, I had heard wonderful things about Oscar's from friends at home. My wife and I were in the Charleston area to celebrate our 40th anniversary and CHOSE to eat at Oscar's... what a fortunate decision. Oscar's has a very relaxed yet casually elegant welcoming feeling, white table cloths & quality flatware, and the service and food definitely MET & EXCEEDED our expectations!

I fully understand why another reviewer loves Tom! What a friendly fine attentive server he was for our evening at Oscar's. I learned from him that the owner of Oscar's has had the restaurant for 30 years... and Tom has been a part of the Oscar's experience for almost 20 of them while doing any and every job required during that time.

I almost passed on the "traditional" iceberg wedge... only to find that Oscar's wedge is anything but traditional. Yes, a large delicious cold iceberg wedge topped with a fine creamy Bleu cheese & crisp bacon bits... so traditional... but then the "secret" balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over it knocks it out of the park! A wow! I could have done it again tonight if not a few hundred miles away! I'm not a salad person but I finished it and still could have eaten more! Then I had my entree from the appetizer listings... fried green tomatoes and crab cakes! WHAT is NOT to love about either of those for lovers of low country cuisine? Oscar's gives you BOTH in one presentation: stacks them in alternating layers topped with a spicy sauce that compliments both tastes! What a challenging combination to marry into a succulent feast!

My wife had a seafood combination offering that seemed to suit her fine... she commented that it was delicious. She made a point to finish ALL the seafood although she did offer me a taste IF I wanted it. She seemed relieved that I did not.

Toward the end of the meal Tom asked if we'd like coffee (since we'd had water with lemon). We said "yes," mentioned it was our anniversary, and we planned on sharing a dessert. Learning it was our anniversary, he insisted upon giving us a complimantary dessert! It was beautifully presented for us to share: delicious vanilla ice cream wrapped in a perfect crepe... topped with whipped cream and drizzled with a chocolate sauce! Mmmmmmmmmmmm, so good! Just the right end to our meal.

While there I observed 3 business men having drinks and dinner while conducting an informal business meeting, an couple dining together, and a lone local man who has a "usual" selection and surely must frequent several times a week. All received prompt attentive service from what I could observe. Business, pleasure, or romance... Oscar's seems quite able to provide delicious fare to make it memorable.

I had mentioned the "bad" reviews earlier in the afternoon to my attorney in Summerville, and his take on it was that any restaurant can have an off day due to an unexpected large crowd or some personnel glitch beyond its control... & he and his wife eat at Oscar's 4-5 times a month! It's his favorite place in town... he's lived there all his life... and he declined to endorse either of my two other possible places that I asked him about over Oscar's! He also told me that items from Oscar's past not on the current menu are possibley on the bar menu & available. I spoke with Tom about this and he also said anything Oscar's has had on the menu in the past is probably still available "if a person just asks for it!"

Oscar's is quite worty of competing with almost any restaurant Charleston has to offer! And in 32 years of Charleston being our favorite getaway destination since moving to SC from GA... all I can say is that I'm so sorry that I did not discover Oscar's sooner. However, I will frequent it from now on... because I've not had a better meal in Charleston's historic district anywhere within walking distance from Calhoun Street to the Battery!

1  Thank grantg2
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Great food and good service. Typically the best restaurants in the Charleston area are downtown but this gem is not to be missed! Wide variety of flavors and cuisine types...but the Cajun Ribeye is awesome!