“Should have stayed somewhere else”

Comfort Suites Summerville
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Summerville
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My family and I stayed here based on the reviews presented here - key for us was something clean and with a good location. We stayed in the King Suite, which I was pretty disappointed with - I've worked in the hotel business before, so I know it's the "small things" that give you a good indication of the quality of a hotel.

Clean it was not - go look at any 90-degree surface area and if you find dust, dirt and hair (all of which I found) then it's not what I consider "clean". The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the smell of carpet deodorizer - you know, the scented powder stuff that people sprinkle down and then vacuum up (why people use this stuff I'll never know). In this case it was masking a very musky, mildew smell that was evident once the room aired out, which was hardly possible since the only window couldn't be opened. The AC unit was continually on "High Air" which didn't really do much to air it out either. When I tried to turn the heater on, the smell was enough to make you sick to your stomach - a result of so much lint and dust build-up on the unit's grating, which gave off a "burned" smell once you switched it to "heat".

The breakfast was just average - they do have "hot" foods, but the powered eggs, waffles and biscuit briquettes were nothing to write home about. Lucky for us, there was a Waffle House just down the street.

The icing on the cake was the girls sports team that stayed two nights - all 30 or so of them - who treated the place like their own [insert sport here] field by running through the halls yelling, jumping on the floor above us, banging on the walls, etc. I have kids as well, so I "know how kids can be" but for the staff to let it go until late into the night, knowing that they have other paid customers in adjacent rooms, is a bit ridiculous.

I don't want to be all negative - the staff was nice, the coffee was ok and the WIFI was fast/free - but I doubt that I'd stay here again or recommend it to someone else.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank exposur3

Reviewed June 9, 2008

We just spent the weekend in Summerville and had a great stay! The hotel is very clean. I was very pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. We enjoyed the pool and the beach was about 25 min away. Breakfast was good, staff was friendly and we'll definitely stay there again should we head this way again.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank carriemc95
ComfortSuitesmanager, Manager at Comfort Suites Summerville, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2009

I would like to wholeheartedly thank this guest for their comments. Excellent customer service is something every member of our staff strives for. I am so happy to see that this guest experienced that during their stay. Again, thank you so much for taking the time...

Reviewed June 23, 2007

There wasn't much to choose from in this area, which surprised me since it's a lovely area. I was referred here by Country Inn and Suites who were full. It was about $89 which wasn't a bad rate for a decent place, but honestly it was just barely decent. The front desk staff was very nice. The sheets were clean, the rest of the areas were semi-clean, where you're not feeling good about taking your shoes off and put towels down on the floors where you're walking. It wasn't awful and if I had to I could stay there again, but I would check all other options first. In general, I don't use Comfort Suites
as they are typically a bit below par.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2007

Overall an okay hotel for a quick stay in the area. Room and bath were clean. Breakfast was not as good as some other Comfort Suites we have stayed at but was definitely adequate. Hotel is conveniently located off Alt. 17 with lots of restaurants close by and shopping too. The free laptop in the lobby is great. Would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2006

The office staff was extremely helpful and courteous to a first time visitor (Me!). The rooms were comfortable and the manager's reception on Tuesday night with appetizers and drinks was fun. They go out of their way to make your stay nice and the desk clerk gave me a discount coupon to use at Sticky Fingers Bar-B-Que Restaurant. There is a laptop in the lobby for the use of their guests and in general, I was very pleased.

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 26, 2006

We booked a room at the Comfort Suites at the last minute. We took my daughter to a suprise concert in Charleston. It was 4 of us total. We opted for a room with a king size bed and a pull out. The room was very clean... I mean I am the type who spots hairs on the floor. The bed was comfy ~ the staff was perfect!! Even asked how our day was going upon our return to the hotel. The breakfast was yummy. The pool was nice and clean with nice chairs around the area. And let me tell you !! The room was HUGE!! I mean like twice as wide as a normal suite would be. My daughter even said the fold out was pretty comfy. I liked the fact they had clean sheets and blankets in the drawers for the pull out. There is a lot of shopping and dining close by... Ruby Tues. ~ Perkins~ Applebee's ~ Logan steak house ~ Bojangles ~ Hardees ~ etc. The shopping was great too ~ Khols ~ Wal Mart ~ Target ~ Ross ~ Linen N things. It was just a great experience.. I would def stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank puppydogeyessc
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta GA
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We'd had a reservation at the Econolodge across the street. THAT room was so nasty, we walked out with nowhere else to stay... every hotel in the area was booked solid.

The staff at the Comfort Inn gave us a room that had been reserved for someone else, but their credit card was refused. They'd actually called us back to make sure we had a room. SUPER NICE lady!

Anyhoo, the room was the standard for this class of hotel. The bed was comfy enough, the room was clean, we couldn't hear any neighbors etc.

This is an older hotel that has been either renovated or well maintained. While newer hotels have a special cabinet for the fridge & microwave, the ones in our room were just sitting by the door. Other than that, the room was great.

The continental breakfast was well above average with a good variety. It even pleased my wife & that's not so easy to do.

The next time I need to go to the Charleston area, which is only about 30 minutes from the hotel, I'll call the Comfort Inn first.

I'll never call the Econo-Lodge... I reveiwed that one, too.

• Stayed: August 2005