“Had to change rooms 4 times.”

Comfort Suites Summerville
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Summerville
guys mills, United States
“Had to change rooms 4 times.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We went to this hotel after having to leave another hotel because we got in the room and there were bugs on the walls and it smelled! The staff was very nice and got us a room quickly. Unfortunately the room smelled like cigarette smoke and we don't smoke! We asked for another room. They were very nice and got us another room. The next room had mold on the door and wall. My
Daughter is allergic to mold and we don't want to stay in a room with mold. At this point it is after midnight so we ask for another room again they are real nice and get us another room. The next room wasn't great and smelled a bit but we stayed because my children were exhausted. The next day we asked for another room and it was way better. No smell and was close to the pool. Very nice staff and the breakfast was alright. The hotel needs to be renovated but the staff was great.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Well, we normally stay at Hampton Inns because of their reliable quality, not to mention their fresh baked cookies, but on a recent trip, the one in Summerville was booked, so we moved next door to the Comfort Inn... and it was okay. Just fine. Plus, they provided cookies, too. Maybe everything was down a notch from the Hampton, but the place was adequate and the staff was perfectly hospitable. No problems whatsoever. The Inn is located on the edge of a shopping plaza anchored by one of the largest WalMarts I've ever seen, right off of I-26 not far from Charleston. Many restaurant, shopping and service options dot the highway leading into to Summerville proper, not more than two miles away. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Pretty much any room will do... depending on your neighbors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stay at this hotel one night each month. In April of this year A high school group was also in this hotel. I had a very difficult night and complained to the staff on a number of occasions. The following morning I was unable to each breakfast because of the 100+ kids in line making waffles at 2:30 each. I asked the morning staff to have a manager contact me when possible. On my May trip I again reminded the staff that I was still waiting for a return call. June .. no call, July .. No Call I did not stay during the month of August. Today I arrive at the hotel determined to resolve the April Issues. The Manager and the Property Management Company representive listened and were aware of the April episode. To my disbelief, They did not take any responcibility for the "guests" actions. They offered me a "Friends & Family" discount of 10%. I was thinking that they should have a "Customer Service Problems" Discount would be more appropriate. I will not stay at this hotel in the future. I'm a Choice Privaleges Member and am rethinking my relationship.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Summerville hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2013

As compared to other Comfort Suites I'd have to rate this as a little below average. Quick friendly check in. Room was clean and comfortable but a couple of patch jobs on the walls were poorly done. Picture quality on the TV wasn't all that great. Wi-Fi signal was so bad I had to sit in the rolling desk chair at the door to get a signal on my ipad. Front desk told me that was unusual so maybe it was just a temporary problem with the router. Thin walls, alarm clock in the room next door woke me up at zero dark thirty. Most Comfort Suites have breakfast out until 9:30, this one ends at 9. Went to their business center with a PDF on a thumb drive so I could print it. The PC is locked in a cabinet so no access to a usb port. Had to go back to my room, email the file to my personal email so I could go back to their business center and print it. Locking up the PC makes a lot of sense but for $15 they could buy a usb hub and put it on the desk. Overall, not a terrible stay but they need to do some improvements. I'll probably give them another try next time I'm in Summerville though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very nicely located. A lot of shopping very close by (walmart, target, best buy, starbucks, lowes) for anything you need during your stay. Less than 30 minutes to downtown Charleston and the beaches. I stayed here for 11 days in July and found it a very relaxing and comfortable place to stay. Everyone working at the hotel was very warm and friendly and made efforts to ensure thing s were going well. They even took time to say hello and see how my day was going on a regular basis. Cleaning staff did a very nice job. Beds were comfortable and breakfast was good with more to offer than the standard fare. I highly recommend the hotel. The only downsides I experienced were that the Internet signal was weak during my stay and the laundry machines did not work. I'm sure by now they have fixed them. If these aren't top priorities for your hotel needs, then this hotel will suit you fine and I'm certain you'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gardner, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We booked this last minute on a long drive down. We called at 730am and got Bob at the front desk, he was very helpful, we asked if we could check n at 9am and he was very accommodating, We got there, had 2 double beds, very clean and quiet, I thought there would be a lot of highway noise but there was none. The morning breakfast was very good and the morning staff was very friendly

Room Tip: Super Walmart is pretty much in the same parking lot as well as all major restaurants
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Goshen, OH
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Property is located right off I26. Many restaurants, shopping, and a Walmart located within walking distance. Property is located at the back of the business district and backs up to a wooded area so it has a very private feel to it. Nice sized pool with decent sized deck and chairs/loungers. Nicely landscaped. Not enough parking, especially when management allows contractor trucks and semis to be parked across 2-3 spaces. One evening, we returned to find 2 parking places open in the entire lot of the this 4 floor hotel, but there were maybe 4 cars in the entrie lot ... the rest were equipment trucks, large cargo trucks and semis parked across 2-4 parking spaces.

Check in was easy. Didn’t get up early enough to check out the breakfast but the coffee smelled good! One coin washer/dryer located on second floor. The front desk staff and housekeeping were very friendly, even when we complained about the wireless and smoking (read further).

Room: First floor room next to ice and vending machines just around corner from lobby. Tiled floors carried every sound (other floors were carpeted and quiet). Ice machine should be at end of hall in its own room. Comfortable, king size bed with plenty of pillows. Small refrigerator, small microwave, and coffee maker located in a small bar area. Outlets on both sides of bed. Small sleeper couch. Plenty of lamps but need to replace all the bulbs CFLs so lighting is brighter. TV had nice channel selection. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels and counter space. Desk with a straight back table chair. Free internet, wireless, and wired but wireless signal was non-existent in our room even though the router was located just around the corner in the lobby. Wired internet could handle basic email attachments but very slow with online games or large attachments. Definitely not set up to be able to work from room. Cell phone signal was also lousy in room but better in lobby. AC worked fine at cooling the room but did nothing to reduce humidity so EVERYTHING in room was damp: towels never dried, paper turned limp, bed sheets were cool and damp, clothes felt damp, etc. Rooms have new carpet in them.

Now for the main reason I've rated this property poorly: We stay in Choice hotel properties because of the smoke-free buildings. In this one, however, management didn’t seem to take issue with the smokers loitering right outside the front doors smoking and drinking beer and leaving their garbage there. We complained at the front desk but were told that the property manager said the law states that the hotel has to provide cigarette receptacles outside the entrance (evidently, this gal had complained to her manager before). I commented that those were for disposing of cigarettes, not to loiter around and drink beer at several hours a day. It’s especially ironic since there are 2 large decals on the front door that say “breathable air” … guess that’s for only once you’re inside and away from the lobby where the smoke is sucked into every time the doors slide open. You must first walk through the gauntlet of smoke. Note: there was seating on both ends of the building outside for smokers. This guantlet is also what "welcomed" us when we arrived on a Saturday afternoon ...
When we arrived back from dinner one evening, there was thick clouds of smoke at both ends of the building and at the center entrance. People were standing around. We thought maybe it was a fire, but no … the smokers were out front again AND they were shooting off fireworks right outside the front door and others were on the side of the building shooting off fireworks! (these were guests, not hotel employees) The front desk lady did nothing about it. The only consolation, I suppose, is the noise ceased by 10pm on this weeknight.

It doesn’t appear the owner of this property caters to the average traveling family or the business traveler and doesn’t totally agree with the “breathable air” philosophy of Comfort Suites. I say “switch brands” so you don’t misrepresent other Comfort Suites.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces back of building so your window looks out into the woods ... very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business