“Good Food, Large Portions, Watch the Bill......”
Review of Italian Bistro

Italian Bistro
Ranked #31 of 271 Restaurants in Summerville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We recently visited this restaurant with a Restaurants.com gift certificate. It's tucked away in a Piggly Wiggly shopping plaza about 7 miles south of east of the small village of Summerville. I had expected a bit more of a fancy place, but it was just fine. Take out on one side and a medium sized dinning room (brightly lite may I say). The menu is quite extensive, but everything we had was quite good.
We were quickly greated by our waitress and offered drinks. Their wine menu is very limited, but the Pinot Noir we had was fine for the price. We started with the fried calamari and the bruchetta, both of which were quiet good. I was actually surprised that the calamari were good, since they looked to be of the frozen variety, but good never the less.
I ordered a large calzone, and I"m talking the Alaska of Large here. Made into a horseshoe U shape, the oveall measurement had to be at least 24", minimium. I'm a big eater, but I'm not the Jolly Green Giant. This thing was massive. It must have had it's own zip code for goodness sakes. WOW, is the best way to discribe it's enormity. It was also quite good, I'll have to say. My son ordered an 18" two topping pizza, which again was absolutly enormous, but it was excellent. The others had pasta dishes that were also gargantuian in their proportinal size. I can't say we didn't get enough food for the money, that's for sure. On top of that, everyone was please with the quality, taste and the fact that they all came out hot, which is a pet peeve of mine.

As far as the bill goes, that's another story. We presented the gift certificate before the bill arrived and were given a bill receipt with the original cost of the meal, then the total cost after the gratuity, tax and discount were applied. No explanation as to how they arrived at the total. Although I asked our server for an explanation, none was forthcoming. I have gone over the bill on various occasions and still cannot possibly come up with the total they did. They had to have taxed the gratuity before applying the discount, which i think is unethical at least, if not illegal.

Never the less, the food and service, so my 4 star rating applies. You will enjoy the food, just don't expect a fancy sit down dinning experience. It's very casual.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

A great casual, family oriented place where you can get anything from a slice of pizza to a delicious full course meal at a reasonable price. We are usually here at least once or twice a month and enjoy introducing our friends to the great food here as well. Have never been disappointed here.