“Class on the Island”
Review of SALT at Station 22 - CLOSED

SALT at Station 22
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Station 22 and Middle Street
Description: Station 22 was originally the first restaurant on Charleston's historic Sullivan's Island. We're proud to announce SALT at Station 22. SALT brings classic southern flavors, American fare, and new takes on old favorites, all made with local ingredients. Come check out our daily menu, seasonal cocktail menu, and delicious oyster bar.
Tucson
“Class on the Island”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After a wonderful day on the beaches of Sullivan Island my daughter and I wanted a nice dinner without the drive to Charleston. Having read a review in a local paper on the new restaurant SALT, we decided to give it a try.
We chose to sit at the bar where we could enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant while also maintaining an out of doors view. We found the bar to be enjoyable and exchanged conversation with staff and fellow diners.
I ordered a wonderfully fresh salad with a tasty dressing and was thoroughly pleased. The wine choices were surprising and the serve was generous.
Most impressive was the outstanding service. In such a busy area, during peak season, service often falls away, but not so at SALT.
I highly recommend this restaurant and feel it is a terrific addition to dining choices in the isles.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank desertnancy

“Awesome”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Bested FIG and Husk. Those were fantastic...this was better. Best seafood I've ever eaten and I've had plenty. Swordfish was spot on, as was every other course by all 6 of us dining.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Keith P
Summerfield, North Carolina
“Great Bar Area, but...”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Under new ownership, this long standing restaurant has redesigned the entrance, creating a pass-through bar and waiting area on the porch. Nice touch. The bar tender was friendly and efficient, and those ordering appetizers and drinks were pleased.

After a moderate wait, we were seated. Inside hasn't changed much, but the menu indicates indecision as to what type of restaurant this will be. Gone is the typical beach fried food fare, but the items that replaced them didn't quite suit. Nothing was horrible, but in our large group, no one raved about anything. Ownership needs to work on menus and kitchen prep.

Again, bar scene and appetizers were fine, but we probably will not return next season...not worth the valet parking hassel and relatively high prices for what we ate. (We are foodies and most in our group do not drink at all, so why drive over here if the food is less than stellar?)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lynda W
Columbia, South Carolina
“Excellent champagne cocktail, crab beignets and service”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We walked into Salt on a whim and sat at the bar for about 10 minutes while waiting on a table. The bar area is very nice with friendly bartenders. The champagne cocktail is fabulous and the crab beignets appetizer is amazing! Some of our party even went back a few days later for drinks and beignets as a late afternoon snack. All of our food was delicious and our server was on point. We will definitely be back.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Christy H
Charleston
“Great restuarant gone bad !”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I recently made reservations for a group of family members at Station 22 to celebrate my wife's birthday. I did not realize the restaurant had been taken over by new owners. Upon arrival I expected to be shown to the table where everyone was waiting and have my wife surprised for her birthday. Instead the hostess stared at the computer screen for several minutes trying to figure out if we had reservations. She was then joined by another employee that took several more minutes to inform us that there were two reservations under our name. We don’t have a common name that would have caused this to happen. I don’t believe for a moment there was another reservation with the same name. Supposedly one was for a party of two and one was for a party of 8. While being seated at the table for the party of two is was obvious that the surprise was blown I had to tell her that we were with the larger party for my wife's Birthday. There seemed to be no remorse for the screw up and we were seated. That is when things got worse. Looking over the menu we couldn't find our favorites: the Grouper, she crab soup and cheesy bread. The waitress, whom I felt really sorry for because she had to defend the pitiful menu, was very attentive and the only salvation during the whole meal. She had to tell patrons that they didn’t carry grouper because of the limited supplies. Perhaps the owners should visit the hundreds of other restaurants in Charleston that have grouper on their menus. We made do with the wreck fish and fish & chips. I can honestly say the meal was no better than a fish basket at a fast food restaurant. Charleston has some of the best restaurants in the country and I am embarrassed to say that I have actually recommended this place based on prior experience. If you are visiting Charleston please be aware that this restaurant does not represent the great dining that the city offers. I would never go back until new owners take it over which shouldn't be very long with the quality of food now being offered. Take it from a local, stay away from this place and try any one of the great restaurants in the area instead.

• Visited August 2013