“Good rooms, great service, great rates”

Residence Inn Spartanburg
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My family and I stayed at the RI Spartanburg over Thanksgiving weekend. From start to finish, the staff was helpful, friendly, and professional. Brittany at the front desk was especially helpful in ensuring we had a crib in the room upon our arrival, complete with fitted crib sheets!

Sure, the rooms need some work, but there was a sign at the desk saying that renovations are coming. In the meantime, though, the room isn't run down, just a little worn. The kitchen was pretty impressive, it looked pretty new. The dishwasher was LOUD, but the sound did help the baby sleep, so it's all good.

I was impressed by the water pressure here. You turn on the sink and POW--you are slammed with water. Pretty impressive for a hotel!

Will definitely return here again. The location is a bit out of the way, but it's just an exit away from everything you need.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
RISpartanburgGM, Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hello Andrew K ,

Thanks for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review of the Residence Inn Spartanburg. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

I appreciate your mentioning Brittany in your review. Our associates love to see their names "in lights" in an online review.

You are correct, we do have a major renovation coming soon which will really update the property. It includes many new items in the guest rooms as well as the public area. We are excited for the renovation but we all feel that we have a really nice hotel right now too. I'll have our maintenance staff look into the loud dishwasher, that's not supposed to be like that.

We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here one night on the way from Chicago to Myrtle Beach. We arrived late after a long drive with no reservation. The two ladies at the front desk quickly got us rooms so we could rest after the long drive.

The rooms were fine for one night and for the price, but they are in some serious need of upkeep (stained, warn carpet, bathroom stains, old furniture). The sheets for the pull out bed were damp but the staff replaced with new sheets quickly.

Kudos for the breakfast - good options including waffle batter so you can make fresh waffles. Very filling and good quality. I cannot say enough good things about the front desk staff - wish I had gotten their names. When we asked to refill our water bottles, she grabbed them, tossed out the empty ones and gave us new, cold water bottles. It was a very nice, hospitable gesture!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

chicago009,

Thank you for your fair review of the Residence Inn by Marriott, Spartanburg. I appreciate your recognizing the the top notch associates you encountered during your stay with us. It is comments like yours that reward our associates for WOWing our guests everyday.

We have exciting plans for the hotel, so I hope that if your travels bring you back to Spartanburg that you give us another chance to impress you with our guest rooms along with our top notch hospitality.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had to stay here for an extended amount of time. It's location was convenient for all of my needs. The landscape was always kept very nice and clean. The room was always neat, clean and well equipped. Although the buildings needed some maintenance,they were also going through a change in ownership. I always felt safe especially when there was a convention with the area patrol there. The staff was always friendly and helpful. If I wanted or needed anything,all I had to do was say the word and they were Johnny on the spot. The maintenance manager went out of his way to help me early one morning. There was only one maintenance man that needs to retire or find a job not involving the public. There's no place like home but Residence Inn is as close as you'll find.I have and will continue to recommend them.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
RISpartanburgGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

gra_grekc,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the Residence Inn Spartanburg. We love guests like you that stay with us a long time, as it gives us a chance to get to know you and make you part of the Residenc Inn family! We take pride in our staff and the service they they give to our guests. I am sorry that one of our maintenance engineers did not live up to your expectation. I have shared your comments with all our staff to show them how their daily interactions with our guests leave lasting impressions, both good and bad.

Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope if you once again require accomodations in Spartanburg, you will think of the Residence Inn.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed here one night and as we pulled in to the property, there were two police cars in the front. Since we had not requested a specific room, when we opened the door, we were in a handicapped room. Normally this would not have made a difference, but there was a chair in the shower and the floor was flat into the shower area which made it slippery if you took a shower and walked in the bathroom. We had a very "bouncy" queen bed and in the morning I had 3 bites on my leg. I had checked the mattress when we arrived but didn't see anything unusual. We wanted to try a restaurant called Fatz, which is a local chain in the south. The girl at the desk gave us a "back route" which had us driving through some seedy areas. We finally arrived at the restaurant and returned via the freeway which took actually about the same driving time. I would not stay at this particular hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Sprouts116,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Residence Inn Spartanburg. It is always disappointing to hear of a guest who has a less than ideal stay with us, however your feedback allows us to improve on our operations and services. I am not sure of the particular circumstances surrounding your room assignment, but our front office has now been trained to verify with our guests prior to placing them in an accessible room to ensure that the amenities and layout of the room would be acceptable to them if they haven’t reserved that particular room type. I have also had our front office staff put together standardized directions to different area attractions and restaurants to give our guests the most direct and efficient routes.

I hope if your travels bring you back to Spartanburg, SC you give us another chance to WOW you. Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the hotel where my wife and I routinely stay on our way to the SC beaches. The hotel is clean, the staff is wonderful and the breakfast and manager special evening social events make it a great value. The hero of this most recent visit was the staff member- Leatia. Leatia actually cooked homemade gumbo for the evening manager social and was there to treat all the guests as if they were good friends. We saw Leatia the next morning again at breakfast. She had the breakfast area well stocked and again treated everyone with top quality service. We will continue to stop here. It is a great value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElCid83

Hello ElCid83,

Thank you for the great review about your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott, Spartanburg. We love hearing stories about our associates, and it sounds like our Gatehouse attendant, Ieatia went above and beyond to WOW you while you were here. We take pride in our hotel and strive to make our guests feel like they are part of our Residence Inn family.

I hope that when you are heading to the beach next time, you once again stay at the Residence Inn, Spartanburg. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Boy is this an up and down property. I stayed in building 7 and it is it big need of some paint! I walked up to my room thinking if the inside is like the outside I was going to need to find another hotel. Fortunately the room was fairly nice. Positives include a nice HD flat panel, well stocked kitchen, and good water pressure. Negative was the bed was really hard - sleeping in the woods camping hard. That may suit some, but not me. Throw in an average workout room and mediocre breakfast options and I just can't recommend this hotel - there are better options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Hello Macindenver,

It’s never fun to hear that one of our guests had a less than perfect stay. I’m sorry that you found our beds uncomfortable and the workout room and breakfast were not what you expected. I do appreciate that you found that some of our amenities in the guest rooms were nice and hopefully this allowed you to enjoy your stay a bit more.

We appreciate your giving us feedback about the hotel and we do use that information to make ourselves better. We are constantly rolling out new breakfast items and I feel that we now have much more variety than we used to. We are also planning on expanding and updating our exercise room in the near future, as well making some improvements to the exterior of the hotel.

I hope that if your future travels bring you back to Spartanburg, you will give us a chance to change your mind about the hotel. We want you to think that all we have are “ups” and no “downs”. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room here for business travel. I frequently travel for work and feeling safe in my surroundings is a top priority. This hotel felt a little secluded to me. It was very quiet and there weren't many businesses nearby. However, I encountered no problems during my stay.

The front desk staff was incredibly helpful and pleasant. The room itself was large and well appointed. My only complaint was that the room smelled a bit like wet dog, which was not surprising given the incredible amount of rain we have had recently.

I would probably not choose this hotel in the future just because I prefer to stay in more populated areas, but I would stay again if traveling with family or friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jbastedo
Dave D, General Manager at Residence Inn Spartanburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thanks for telling us about your stay. Yes, it has been a very wet spring and summer, which has made it a challenge to keep up with the consistently humid conditions throughout the property. It looks as though the daily rain pattern has finally broken, so come on back to see us!