“Great Stay”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Spartanburg
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Stay”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

PROS - Easy access to Interstate, good bed, very clean, roomy, quiet, staff were excellent

CONS - Shows a bit of wear, but it didn't detract from the stay. Getting to the hotel parking lot is a bit confusing coming off the traffic circle, you need to take the immediate first right instead of heading up the on ramp.

After reading a couple of the negative reviews, I was worried I might be disappointed, but I wasn't. I've been a Marriott Rewards customer for years, and while the decor is definitely outdated, it's in excellent condition. Overall I found my overnight stay quite pleasant.

I was returning from a trip to New Orleans and didn't realize that I was in a different time zone as my laptop clock doesn't automatically change. I'd changed the time ins NOLA and hadn't realized the time was an hour behind. I got up early to write and was deep in the midst of my story when housekeeping knocked. I yelled out that I'd be leaving shortly and continued to write.

A friend called me at what I thought was 11:00, but was really noon. I freaked thinking the hotel would bill be more another day because I hadn't checked out yet. I contacted the front desk and apologized explaining that my time was off due to my NOLA trip, and that I'd be gone in 20 minutes. The receptionist laughed and said it wouldn't be a problem at all. The next time I head south, and I need a stopping off point, this hotel will be on my list of places to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MonicaBurnsAuthor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Probably one of the oldest Courtyards I've stayed in. I could hear more hall traffic than I usually do at marriotts. Bed was comfortable. I put fan on high, but it didn't seem to stay on and that added to the frustration of being able to hear all the noise in the hall.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank tjeason
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have lived in Spartanburg for 22 years. I have never used this hotel because others were close to where I live and worship. In looking for a venue for our 13th Family reunion which I hosted this year, I decided to look at the Courtyard. I was impressed with the upgrades that had been done and realized the hotel has been completely renovated. I also noticed right away how friendly and helpful the staff weere.
After contacting Marriott and working through some things, we settled on this hotel. I was not always pleased with the negotions from the corporate Marriott office, but we worked through them.
I can say the staff at the Courtyard is more like a family. If you asked for anything, no one said, I will get back to it, they all chipped in to do whatever was needed. Their attitude was so great. My family is still talking about the staff at the hotel!
If you come through Spartanburg, right off I-85 business find your way to the Courtyard by Marriott. You will enjoy the total experience.
I highly recommend anyone planning an event to look into the venue.
Valerie Q

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank valquick
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Typical highway-side Courtyard, but with some differences.

Suffering from Fibromyalgia, I'm somewhat of a bed comfort fanatic. I've found Marriott brands vary dramatically, not just between brands, but even within a single brand.

In addition, with Courtyards, I often request a feather-free room, as something in their cleaning products seems to trigger some allergies I don't find in their other brands, and feather-free seems to do the trick.

This Courtyard, hands down, had the best feather-free option! It felt like a memory foam mattress/pad was brought in to alleviate the issue. What a wonderful night's sleep! Still supportive but soft, no allergy issues whatsoever. On top of that, the front desk had made sure to have everything in place in advance of arrival. Even as a Platinum Premiere Elite, that's usually not the case, and it is so appreciated.

Location is convenient to the highway, but not a lot else. BBQ restaurant on other side of freeway gets good marks, a few fast food joints nearby, but their Bistro staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Woodbridge
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had an awesome wonderful glorious blessed stay. Coquita greeted us with love and care when we first entered the hotel. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Even though there were a family reunion there with lots of children, the hotel was very quiet and peaceful to stay. I might suggest your adding the check out time to the final bill that is left under the door so guest can remember the check out times. Thank you again for such a great experience.

Room Tip: When I first called and received senior citizen rates, I was not informed that the cost would be jus...
Green Features: As stated above. Had a wonderful experience a wonderful time.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Could be a very nice hotel but my experience with the cleanliness makes it a little lacking. I like to use the table they have on wheels that pulls out from under the desk. On the two stays there within a month both times the desk was filthy. On the first stay the desk was covered with a sticky substance. On the second stay it was covered with dust and there was a receipt from a local store (dated three days prior) on top of it where it clearly not been cleaned. Even though the place looks fairly nice and it makes me wonder how good of job housekeeping does cleaning other things.

The location is fine and I never felt uncomfortable but it isn't the best. There is a cheap hotel next-door that often has derelicts hanging around outside.

Ultimately, there are other better hotels in town for the price. I would stay here again if the price was right and I needed the proximity to a location nearby.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Darryl K, General Manager at Courtyard Spartanburg, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback concerning your recent stay at the spartanburg Courtyard. Please accept my sincere apology for the cleanliness isssues you encountered with your guest room. I will use your feedback as continual training for the staff to improve. I hope if you find yourself in the Spartanburg area again you will give us another chance.

Darryl Kosiorek
Charlotte
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Started with personable, customer service driven front desk rep, Christina, who had to get creative and patient to find my reservation because it had gotten logged improperly. We had a good laugh, and she never had a tone of wondering if I was in the wrong hotel. Her tone was more about helping me find a way to be IN the hotel. Appreciated her follow through. Her partner, Jen, was also friendly and conversational. They definitely were there to be of service. Thanks ladies.

Heard one of the room attendants softly singing as she was doing the laundry. She blushed and apologized when I complimented her, but I didn't find her to be disturbing at all. And (since I am a non singer) she definitely sounded better than I do... so I gave her high praise. LOL

Room Tip: I think I'll go with the first floor inside room next time. Inside rooms face into the courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business