“Good Vegetables”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Takeout
South Carolina
“Good Vegetables”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This restaurant has very good collection of food, especially the vegetables. The decor is ok, but it is always very busy and during lunch time there are long lines. If you ever go there try squash casserole and sweet potato casserole, they are very good.

Marietta, Georgia
“Good ol' Homestyle cooking”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was introduced to Wade's a number of years ago by my in-laws. Wade's is a Spartanburg tradition and has been around since 1947 and is immensely popular with the locals. I have eaten at Wade’s for both lunch and dinner and it is always busy. It is not unusual to have to wait for a table. There always seems to be some kind of line, which speaks to its popularity.

You have 2 dining options at Wade’s, the full service restaurant and a cafeteria style side with a pared down selection. The cafeteria side runs more limited hours. Since I am usually traveling during the day through the area when I stop, I tend to hit the cafeteria side. The selections vary, but you have 4 or 5 entrée choices, 10 or so veggie choices, rolls, salad and dessert (usually several pie selections). This past trip, I had an entrée, 3 veggies, roll and tea for $8.50. It’s tough to beat that price. You can spend that much at plenty of fast food restaurants and not have anything as good as the food at Wade’s. On top of that, the service is always attentive. I could have floated away with how many time I was asked if I needed a tea refill.

Recommendations – bring cash. They do not take credit or debit cards. If you are pressed for time, hit the cafeteria side. The line moves quickly and the tables turn. The sit down side requires more time and there is always the chance you will have to wait a little while.

“Express side”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

First timer with my four year old daughter. It wasn't clear as to how to order from the buffet, but the service lady tried to explain the way it works. At the register, apparently there is a math equation my age divided by my daughters height plus pi. anyways I went to pay ($14.60) and Wades doesn't accept cards. Okay no problem, they have an ATM. So tack on another $1.50 fee from ATM plus $2.00 my bank charges. So now we're at $18.10. Now I've heard great thins about the food. I agree. The food is just as was expected. The staff was friendly and somewhat helpful. Now here's my problem. I had a ton of leftovers (mashed potatoes, rice, Mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings) and the staff (I asked a few people for a box) refused to let me take my leftovers. No boxes on the buffet side. Apparently I'm not to be trusted to go back and steal. So I ended up paying $20.00 with tip to leave a lot of good food to be thrown out. It's a shame cause it was good eats.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Gret Resturant for Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Food is always great or Sunday lunch, as testified by the long lines. Even though the line is long the wait is not too bad. The food a prices are simply both tasty and consistent. A Solid place. Food value is also very good.

• Visited March 2013
WL3, Owner at Wade's Family Restaurant, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much Larry for the great comment! Sunday is definitely a crazy day and I thank you for braving the line. We pride ourselves on our ability to manage such a long line and keep the wait minimal as possible. This is all due to the great host staff we have, and I hope you don't mind I am going to pass along your comment to them. Hope you can visit us again soon!
RICHMOND, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the best dinner i had during my trip”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in Spartanburg for a family funeral and wanted a home cooked meal. My cousins (they're locals) suggested Wade's. Wade's is more of a mom and pop style resturant. Each meal including drinks is under $10. The service was polite and fast. My daughter had the meatloaf w/ mac & cheese and greens and i ordered the grill chicken, mac & cheese and coleslaw. We also had a mix of the corn bread and yeast rolls. I didn't go to Wade's for the glitz and glamour you get at certain resturants. Wade's food is.. homestyle cooking. The only thing I didnt really like was the corn bread/muffins. It's hard, salty and lack in flavour. Other than that I had a good time with my family. Will visit again when I'm in town.

• Visited April 2013
WL3, Owner at Wade's Family Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
First off, I am sorry for the loss in your family, but do appreciate your willingness to reach out and let us know you had a pleasing experience at our restaurant. I hate to hear that your cornbread muffins were not good, from the sound of it this is absolutely not how our cornbread muffins are supposed to be. If you wouldn't mind, what day and time did you eat at our restaurant so we can hopefully look back into what happened. Thank you again!
~Wade