“Sorry but not even close to Good Italian Food!”

Renato's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 324 Restaurants in Spartanburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greenville, South Carolina
“Sorry but not even close to Good Italian Food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Reading some of the reviews I am mystified. The food was mediocre and there were several of us in the party. The appetizers were to be put under a microscope as we were litterally served 2 to 4 calamari, while not bad not the best I have ever had either. My boss sent back 2 entrees and you would think the 3rd they brought out was the charm.... into the garbage it went, not rocket science for an Italian restaurant Spagehetti with sauce, eggplant parmigiana did not even looked cooked. The sauce was indescibeable and not in a good way. While my meal was not bad it took us 2 1/2 hours to get out of the restaurant and not by choice. At there prices I will take my business elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012
Andrea M, Owner at Renato's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that your experience was bad, we are a very small business and during Christmas time we are very busy. I'm sorry to hear your appetizers were not sufficient, but I believe your company pre ordered a set amount, and we only had so much to disperse. Normally everyone is happy with our spaghetti and sauce, I only wish you could have let us know you were unhappy while you were dining. I'm sorry the price was not what you wanted, but hopefully in future we can adjust to suit your needs. Once again I am extremely sorry you had a bad experience, and we do hope to see you again.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Lovely dinner, but too loud in the dining room with large groups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My weeknight birthday dinner, and a lovely menu, very attentive waiter, lovely dinner!
Bruschetta pomodoro, and swordfish special was very well prepared ... worth a return trip.

HOWEVER: we were just a couple, wedged into a corner in a room with, what I can only describe as the loudest groups ever. We could barely hear each other over the screaching and cackle-ing.
They should have put the holiday party groups together in one room so they could shout over each other...and not infringe on others.

• Visited December 2012
Thank you so much for the positive feedback, and I am terribly sorry it was too loud in the dining room. As you know our place is small and normally packed during the holiday season, so it's hard to know who is gonna be loud and who won't. In the future if it's too loud, please let your server know because I am sure we could do something to make your experience perfect.
South Carolina
“Nice little Italian Lunch spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently had lunch at Renato's and would recommend it to anyone interested in a nice Italian lunch. It is close to downtown Spartanburg, and particularly close to the hospital. I had the chicken with some pasta. Not bad but not spectacular either. I would like to go back at night to see if they step it up a bit. Service was really good. Bread too!

• Visited November 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your lunch, but dinner is a completely different experience. Not only do we have a much larger menu at dinner, but we also have a new fresh specials each night of the week. We hope to see for dinner in the future, and maybe even to give lunch another shot.
Miami, Florida
“I thought I was in Little Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

OK folks let’s first remember where we are at, then let’s think of a place that has been open since 1991. They are doing things right. I met Renato and his son who was my waiter. They where both warm and hospital like all good Italians. I ordered a bottle of wine that would have cost me 3 times in Miami or New York, so already I was happy. Then we started with some appetizers, followed by the main course, black and white linguine topped with seafood. VERY GOOD.
Renato is from a little town outside Florence, and his food is good. I love that he has a full bar, with a very nice bartender, sorry I forgot his name, but he loves to fish, and they do any drink you want.
I’m a very frequent visitor to Ill gaibiano in Miami, and Angelo’s in New York, so trust me when I tell you that the food is good. The people are friendly. I sat in front of the bar and watch Renato welcome his guest, and he knows their name.
From the outside the place looks not too great, but once inside you feel like your Italy with family. The Chicken Parmagian was also great, my son had this. The lemon Chello was great also.
Maybe I got them on a good night, but I don’t think he could stay open so long and not be what I experience. For it’s location I give it a thumbs up.

• Visited November 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. You will always have a special seat here with your name on it.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“bland”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

For such an expensive Italian restaurant, the food doesn't have much flavor. La Taverna is a MUCH better choice, and a whole lot cheaper.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank dollah1
I'm glad you enjoyed La Taverna, next time try Olive Garden.